Antique Shop Finds - Road Trip Edition

nrum97

Hey everyone! I apologize in advance for the lack of photos; pens are all apart right now for cleaning/repair...will add pics later...

Since I had to drive home from school (Walla Walla to Bellevue) to pick up a bicycle (long story) I thought I'd seize the opportunity and visit all the antique shops on the way and see what I could find. I am quite pleased with what I've found! In order of coolness, they are:

-A Parker Duofold in black and white pearl celluloid with a flex (!!!) nib, has both clip and ring (???)

-A small Majestic in blue and bronze celluloid with a flexible 14k warranted nib

-A small Wearever in red celluloid with a very flexible 14k warranted nib

The Duofold's barrel has some moderate-to-severe discoloration but its cap is only lightly discolored. The pen is in shockingly good condition overall. It also has both a clip and a ring on the cap, which is pretty odd. I originally planned on selling it, but I might just keep it because it's so cool. I bought it at a shop in Richland and I have to say that I would highly recommend a trip to the Uptown shopping center if you are ever in the area; it's a strip mall-esque amalgamation of stores but there are 3 or 4 bona fide antique shops in it so it certainly warrants a stop, especially considering it's only about 5 minutes off of the highway.

The Majestic is a surpsingly attractive pen considering its third-tier origins, and the flex nib seals the deal. Apparently Majestics were made by the same guys who made the wonderful Ambassador I bought a while back for $5, I guess that explains the flex nib...

The Wearever might not work out, but I'm only out $6.50 on it anyway, so that's not too big of a deal. It's missing the clip but is otherwise cosmetically fine. I bought it because the nib had some good flex to it, but its tip was bent downwards and although I was able to get that flattened out, I think may have twisted or bent the nib out of shape and I can't quite get that figured out...come to think of it, if you want to try your hand at nib straightening and have $6.50+sh, then it's yours!

I did see something else in Yakima but I didn't buy it because it was $100 and that's a little too steep for me...I am strongly considering buying it on my way back, though, because it is truly something...we'll see.

nrum97

PS for WA peeps: Chinook Pass is an absolutely awesome drive! Highly recommend!

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sharonspens

• nrum97

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like a very nice trip!

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." Earnest Hemingway