The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Antique Shop Finds - Road Trip Edition

vintage parker duofold majestic wearever

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 nrum97

nrum97

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 September 2016 - 04:41

Hey everyone! I apologize in advance for the lack of photos; pens are all apart right now for cleaning/repair...will add pics later...

Since I had to drive home from school (Walla Walla to Bellevue) to pick up a bicycle (long story) I thought I'd seize the opportunity and visit all the antique shops on the way and see what I could find. I am quite pleased with what I've found! In order of coolness, they are:

-A Parker Duofold in black and white pearl celluloid with a flex (!!!) nib, has both clip and ring (???)
-A small Majestic in blue and bronze celluloid with a flexible 14k warranted nib
-A small Wearever in red celluloid with a very flexible 14k warranted nib

The Duofold's barrel has some moderate-to-severe discoloration but its cap is only lightly discolored. The pen is in shockingly good condition overall. It also has both a clip and a ring on the cap, which is pretty odd. I originally planned on selling it, but I might just keep it because it's so cool. I bought it at a shop in Richland and I have to say that I would highly recommend a trip to the Uptown shopping center if you are ever in the area; it's a strip mall-esque amalgamation of stores but there are 3 or 4 bona fide antique shops in it so it certainly warrants a stop, especially considering it's only about 5 minutes off of the highway.

The Majestic is a surpsingly attractive pen considering its third-tier origins, and the flex nib seals the deal. Apparently Majestics were made by the same guys who made the wonderful Ambassador I bought a while back for $5, I guess that explains the flex nib...

The Wearever might not work out, but I'm only out $6.50 on it anyway, so that's not too big of a deal. It's missing the clip but is otherwise cosmetically fine. I bought it because the nib had some good flex to it, but its tip was bent downwards and although I was able to get that flattened out, I think may have twisted or bent the nib out of shape and I can't quite get that figured out...come to think of it, if you want to try your hand at nib straightening and have $6.50+sh, then it's yours!

I did see something else in Yakima but I didn't buy it because it was $100 and that's a little too steep for me...I am strongly considering buying it on my way back, though, because it is truly something...we'll see.

nrum97

PS for WA peeps: Chinook Pass is an absolutely awesome drive! Highly recommend!

Sponsored Content

#2 sharonspens

sharonspens

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,762 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 September 2016 - 23:52

Sounds like a very nice trip!

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." Earnest Hemingway

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: vintage, parker, duofold, majestic, wearever

Sponsored Content

|