The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Your Esterbrook, Posted Or Unposted?

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 Venemo

Venemo

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 November 2016 - 17:08

I almost never post any of my pens... their balance simply doesn't feel right when they are posted.

Sometimes I post really small pens, but those are in general uncomfortable for me, so I try to avoid them as much as I can. This is why I also don't have an SJ.

Sponsored Content

#22 Runnin_Ute

Runnin_Ute

Grandpa T's desk

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,242 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 November 2016 - 01:39

I have an SJ - it is the only one of my Esterbrooks that I always post. The others it is hit and miss. Just whatever I feel like at the time. Parker 45's tend to get posted more frequently than some others. I love the look of a posted 45 - especially a Flighter.

Some pens whether they post well or not, just don't look good posted. (to me) The 45's design aesthetic is such it looks better posted than unposted. Of course, this is a pen that was first introduced to the market in 1960. When most people still posted their pens.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling

"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

fpn_1424623518__super_pinks-bottle%20resl.png

#23 welch

welch

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,433 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 November 2016 - 02:50

I have an SJ - it is the only one of my Esterbrooks that I always post. The others it is hit and miss. Just whatever I feel like at the time. Parker 45's tend to get posted more frequently than some others. I love the look of a posted 45 - especially a Flighter.

Some pens whether they post well or not, just don't look good posted. (to me) The 45's design aesthetic is such it looks better posted than unposted. Of course, this is a pen that was first introduced to the market in 1960. When most people still posted their pens.

Ha!! My choice was the reverse. 

I used a Parker 45 from about 1960 - 1967. Usually UN-posted. I don't remember why...maybe it felt easier in the hand?

Now, I post any pen that can be posted. Most often write with a Parker 51 or a P-75, which seem designed to be posted easily. An Esterbrook SJ needs to be posted...otherwise, it feels too short. An LJ and a J? Depends on the mood.

Don't take any job that requires new clothes.

#24 DougS

DougS

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 November 2016 - 05:08

I post all my Esterbrooks.

#25 jbelian

jbelian

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 20 November 2016 - 21:17

If you take notes in meetings, with many pauses between note taking, I would not post.  Then it becomes easier to do a soft cap, so that the feed does not dry out.

If you loan the pen to someone, hang on to the cap, so the pen comes back to you. If they stick the pen in their pocket, they get a big ink spot on their shirt as a penalty for taking your pen.

1) What is a "soft cap"? (I can imagine, but haven't heard the term)
2) Great idea to hold the cap. Usually the tears running down my face let them know I feel uncomfortable loaning my pen, but revenge is even better!

#26 Runnin_Ute

Runnin_Ute

Grandpa T's desk

• Member - Gold

• 6,242 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 November 2016 - 04:28

Ha!! My choice was the reverse. 

I used a Parker 45 from about 1960 - 1967. Usually UN-posted. I don't remember why...maybe it felt easier in the hand?

Now, I post any pen that can be posted. Most often write with a Parker 51 or a P-75, which seem designed to be posted easily. An Esterbrook SJ needs to be posted...otherwise, it feels too short.

I use unposted on the 45's as much or more than posted. I think you are right though - feels easier.  But don't you love the look of a posted 45?

And with Estie's - I am with you there - the SJ always posted and the others depending on mood. 51? Always - but not because of length. Helps locate the nib.

Al Star, TWSBI's, Jinhao 599, True Writer   My TW is heavy (30 g), brass body, doesn't post real well. So these are pens I don't post.

Pelikan M200's - unposted mostly, but both ways.

Waterman Phileas- same as M200. It does have nice balance posted though.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling

"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

#27 fatswimmies

fatswimmies

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 November 2016 - 06:46

SJ unposted. It is well-balanced posted but I am used to having the cap on my desk while I write letters. It's not a particularly deep post too and I don't want to worry about damaging the body or the cap.

I have pretty small hands and write with all my pens except my Kaweco Sports unposted though I will sometimes even write with Kaweco Sport pens unposted if I'm crossing something off a grocery list.

#28 pajaro

pajaro

Amblin along like I had good sense.

• Member - Gold

• 9,804 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 November 2016 - 22:22

I used to post them, but these days I just don't uncap them.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

#29 Mannyonpil

Mannyonpil

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 December 2016 - 04:49

I post them most of the time. I have large hands.

#30 DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 April 2017 - 09:33

If I'm writing anything more than my initials, I post my J's. It just feels right to me.

#31 gweimer1

gweimer1

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,029 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 April 2017 - 02:39

I post them.  Not only does it feel right, but I have been known to drop things...

#32 Runnin_Ute

Runnin_Ute

Grandpa T's desk

• Member - Gold

• 6,242 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 April 2017 - 22:48

SJ always posted. J and LJ - both, depending on my mood.

Brad

#33 estie1948

estie1948

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,701 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 09:14

I don't know why for sure. Maybe it is just laziness, but in the time since this topic first started, I have stopped posting my pens except on a rare occasion. I do more of my writing at my desk and much less in the field now and that may be the reason. Then again, maybe I don't have a reason. I have moved to the "unposted" camp. 

-David (Estie).

No matter how much you push the envelope, it will still be stationery. -Anon.
A backward poet writes inverse. -Anon.

Sponsored Content

|