Your Esterbrook, Posted Or Unposted?

Witsius

I almost never post any of my pens... their balance simply doesn't feel right when they are posted.

Sometimes I post really small pens, but those are in general uncomfortable for me, so I try to avoid them as much as I can. This is why I also don't have an SJ.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pajaro

• Runnin_Ute

• estie1948

• ac12

I have an SJ - it is the only one of my Esterbrooks that I always post. The others it is hit and miss. Just whatever I feel like at the time. Parker 45's tend to get posted more frequently than some others. I love the look of a posted 45 - especially a Flighter.

Some pens whether they post well or not, just don't look good posted. (to me) The 45's design aesthetic is such it looks better posted than unposted. Of course, this is a pen that was first introduced to the market in 1960. When most people still posted their pens.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

I have an SJ - it is the only one of my Esterbrooks that I always post. The others it is hit and miss. Just whatever I feel like at the time. Parker 45's tend to get posted more frequently than some others. I love the look of a posted 45 - especially a Flighter.

Some pens whether they post well or not, just don't look good posted. (to me) The 45's design aesthetic is such it looks better posted than unposted. Of course, this is a pen that was first introduced to the market in 1960. When most people still posted their pens.

Ha!! My choice was the reverse.

I used a Parker 45 from about 1960 - 1967. Usually UN-posted. I don't remember why...maybe it felt easier in the hand?

Now, I post any pen that can be posted. Most often write with a Parker 51 or a P-75, which seem designed to be posted easily. An Esterbrook SJ needs to be posted...otherwise, it feels too short. An LJ and a J? Depends on the mood.

Washington Nationals 2019: the fight for .500; "stay in the fight"; WON the fight

If you take notes in meetings, with many pauses between note taking, I would not post. Then it becomes easier to do a soft cap, so that the feed does not dry out.

If you loan the pen to someone, hang on to the cap, so the pen comes back to you. If they stick the pen in their pocket, they get a big ink spot on their shirt as a penalty for taking your pen.

1) What is a "soft cap"? (I can imagine, but haven't heard the term)

2) Great idea to hold the cap. Usually the tears running down my face let them know I feel uncomfortable loaning my pen, but revenge is even better!

Ha!! My choice was the reverse.

I used a Parker 45 from about 1960 - 1967. Usually UN-posted. I don't remember why...maybe it felt easier in the hand?

Now, I post any pen that can be posted. Most often write with a Parker 51 or a P-75, which seem designed to be posted easily. An Esterbrook SJ needs to be posted...otherwise, it feels too short.

I use unposted on the 45's as much or more than posted. I think you are right though - feels easier. But don't you love the look of a posted 45?

And with Estie's - I am with you there - the SJ always posted and the others depending on mood. 51? Always - but not because of length. Helps locate the nib.

Al Star, TWSBI's, Jinhao 599, True Writer My TW is heavy (30 g), brass body, doesn't post real well. So these are pens I don't post.

Pelikan M200's - unposted mostly, but both ways.

Waterman Phileas- same as M200. It does have nice balance posted though.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

SJ unposted. It is well-balanced posted but I am used to having the cap on my desk while I write letters. It's not a particularly deep post too and I don't want to worry about damaging the body or the cap.

I have pretty small hands and write with all my pens except my Kaweco Sports unposted though I will sometimes even write with Kaweco Sport pens unposted if I'm crossing something off a grocery list.

I used to post them, but these days I just don't uncap them.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

• 4 months later...

If I'm writing anything more than my initials, I post my J's. It just feels right to me.

SJ always posted. J and LJ - both, depending on my mood.

Brad

I don't know why for sure. Maybe it is just laziness, but in the time since this topic first started, I have stopped posting my pens except on a rare occasion. I do more of my writing at my desk and much less in the field now and that may be the reason. Then again, maybe I don't have a reason. I have moved to the "unposted" camp.

-David (Estie).

No matter how much you push the envelope, it will still be stationery. -Anon.

A backward poet writes inverse. -Anon.