Your Esterbrook, Posted Or Unposted?

Witsius

Do you use your Esties posted or unposted? I've been gravitating toward using my LJ posted. It doesn't post as securely as something like my Pelikans, but it's more comfortable to write with posted. Which way do you use yours?

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy. Hamlet, 1.5.167-168

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pajaro

• Runnin_Ute

• estie1948

• ac12

For a number of decades, I wrote with my Esterbrooks posted. During that time period, while not everyone posted their pens, most did and generally considered a pen that did not post well as lacking in some way. I remember some ladies held the cap in their non-writing hand while they wrote. I also remember a couple of men who had the habit of putting the pen cap in their shirt pocket while they wrote. I always thought that was sort of strange.

In the 1970's and after, I have come across non-Esterbrook pens that simply do not post well and some that just will not post at all. A friend at the time said the pens had been designed and made by people too young to know that a fountain pen was suppose to post. There was a post (on another fountain pen forum that no longer exists) about the 1980's about posting or not posting your fountain pen. I was surprised that quite a large number of those fountain pen users did not like to post their pens.

While, as I stated earlier, I use to always post my fountain pens, I have just lately taken to not always posting certain pens. I have begun to worry about the caps of these pens, which are nearly as old as me and some that are even older than me, developing cracks due to being posted.

Now that I have talked on all sides of this issue, I will sum up my position as being for posting my pen caps except for those times when I don't.

-David (Estie).

Edited by estie1948

No matter how much you push the envelope, it will still be stationery. -Anon.

A backward poet writes inverse. -Anon.

I have a Dollar and a J, and I post both. Posted, they feel better in my hand.

I love the smell of fountain pen ink in the morning.

Depends on the pen.

- Esterbrook LJ = posted

- most of my Parkers = posted

- TWSBI Eco = unposted. The cap is too heavy to post, as it makes the pen too tail heavy.

- ALL my Lamys = unposted. For some reason, when posted, the Lamys become tail heavy. This is even for pens that are designed to be posted; cp1 and pur.

- Any pen with really nice finish = unposted, to minimize wear to the finish. Some caps will scratch the pen.

- Any pen that like the Lamy becomes tail heavy when posted is used unposted.

- Heavy pens, are used unposted, to reduce the weight of the pen in my hand. I prefer my pens below 20 grams.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Unposted. Pen in one hand, cap in the other. Unless a pen is unfeasibly small (which I don't find to be the case with Esterbrooks), and sometimes not even then.

Most of my pens, posted. I have a few that will not post and one I'm afraid of cracking the cap on.

Esterbrooks posted, others it just depends. Most larger pens I tend to not post.

May we live, not by our fears but by our hopes; not by our words but by our deeds; not by our disappointments but by our dreams.

LJs posted. If a pen's cap won't post I usually cease to use it. I write with my left hand and like my right hand free.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

• 2 months later...

Decades ago, when I used Sheaffer and Parker school-type pens, I would post. Now that almost all my pens are vintage - 50 + years old - I don't post any of them. I've seen too many nice pens with unappealing posting marks, so don't want to be the cause of those. All my pens are 125 mm or longer (capped length) so posting doesn't feel necessary for balance.

I post all my Esterbrooks (Dollars, J, LJ, SM Deluxe, 2-L Relief), and most of my fountain pens in general. I like the look of a posted pen more than anything, though I suppose it makes it more comfortable to use as well.

FP Ink Orphanage-Is an ink not working with your pens, not the color you're looking for, is never to see the light of day again?!! If this is you, and the ink is in fine condition otherwise, don't dump it down the sink, or throw it into the trash, send it to me (payment can be negotiated), and I will provide it a nice safe home with love, and a decent meal of paper! Please PM me!<span style='color: #000080'>For Sale:</span> TBA

My Esterbrooks are fifty and sixty years old. For a myriad of reasons, the cap can develop flaws. I would rather not jam a pen barrel into my Esterbrook cap, or any other vintage pen cap. Unless the cap to a vintage pen is metal, NO, I do not post.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

If you take notes in meetings, with many pauses between note taking, I would not post. Then it becomes easier to do a soft cap, so that the feed does not dry out.

If you loan the pen to someone, hang on to the cap, so the pen comes back to you. If they stick the pen in their pocket, they get a big ink spot on their shirt as a penalty for taking your pen.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Unposted, which is why I'm not attracted to the SJ. I do post my smaller Sheaffers, though.

Baptiste knew how to make a short job long

For love of it. And yet not waste time either.

Robert Frost

SJ, posted when I want to feel professional.

The nice thing about Esties is that you do not have to post 'em with too much pressure for the cap to stay on for a while.

SJ, posted when I want to feel professional.

The nice thing about Esties is that you do not have to post 'em with too much pressure for the cap to stay on for a while.

+1.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.