Collection Of Jif School Pens

chromantic

I have a little collection JIF school pens:

fpn_1472926564__frontview.jpg

They're nice pens with reasonably smooth gold-plated F nibs (supposedly the same nibs as in the slightly more upscale Agoras). The first 3, with the curved clips, have a large anti-choking vent under the clip, situated just below the inner cap - you can see it clearly on the orange pen. Unfortunately, the next 2 also have an additional, small slot on the top, probably not a problem with wet inks but the Miruai and Yama-dori I put in them were constantly drying out. The remaining 5, starting with the gold metal clip, have no obvious vents and drying hasn't been an issue, even the Miruai and YD, once I moved them to the last 2 pens.

Those last two, btw, are actually the more interesting to me. Rather than the straight-forward cylinder shapes of the others, with the cap fatter than the barrel (though almost flush on the flowers and pennants ones), here the two halves are the same width at the join, with more obviously tapering barrels; the black one is hexagonally facetted and has rounded ends instead of flat. And,where the others all have the fancy gold nibs, these 2 have very plain steel nibs, similar to Pelikanos, along with a slightly different feed that may be slightly wetter. Now loaded with the Miruai and YD, they have become my most frequent carries.

fpn_1472926921__nibs_2.jpg

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• chromantic

• RMN

• pajaro

• amk

Top Posters In This Topic

They're nice pens with reasonably smooth gold-plated F nibs (supposedly the same nibs as in the slightly more upscale Agoras). The first 3, with the curved clips, have a large anti-choking vent under the clip, situated just below the inner cap - you can see it clearly on the orange pen. Unfortunately, the next 2 also have an additional, small slot on the top, probably not a problem with wet inks but the Miruai and Yama-dori I put in them were constantly drying out. The remaining 5, starting with the gold metal clip, have no obvious vents and drying hasn't been an issue, even the Miruai and YD, once I moved them to the last 2 pens.

Those last two, btw, are actually the more interesting to me. Rather than the straight-forward cylinder shapes of the others, with the cap fatter than the barrel (though almost flush on the flowers and pennants ones), here the two halves are the same width at the join, with more obviously tapering barrels; the black one is hexagonally facetted and has rounded ends instead of flat. And,where the others all have the fancy gold nibs, these 2 have very plain steel nibs, similar to Pelikanos, along with a slightly different feed that may be slightly wetter. Now loaded with the Miruai and YD, they have become my most frequent carries.

Nice set

Thx for showing. I will make a separate topic out of this.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

As my post appears elevated to quasi-review status, I'll add a little more info for those interested.

Like other Watermans, these JIFs use standard international cartridges, either short or long. Cleaning is fairly easy, just drop the section in a cup of tap water and let it sit for a while until a cloud of ink appears, repeat this several times until no more ink appears.

I guess these were a popular item for Waterman as they came in a quite a wide variety of colors/finishes. I've seen some black ones similar to my black facetted one, with blue, green, red or purple clips but the barrel facets are raised surfaces separated by little troughs and I don't find them very attractive. The clear demonstrators, like the orange one, come in several colors but the cap on mine has 7 little cracks at right-ish angles around the bottom of the cap; they don't seem to cause a problem and are obviously due to the formulation of the rigid, clear plastic used but it's made me avoid ordering any more of them. There are some with a shiny metallic-looking outer coating (probably mylar from the looks in pictures rather than actual metal but I could be mistaken); they also feature the curved plastic clips so probably also have the large vent holes. While rather fetching, I haven't bought any as they go for $16-20 + ship. The clear go for $12-15 and the regulars for $9-12.

These pens are usually NOS but I'm guessing most were shipped to retailers loose and unboxed as that's how they're sold on ebay, although the JIF Metal (with the metal clips) I have seen in blister packs. There are usually a nice variety for sale on ebay at any given time, frequently as "but it now" items. The two steel nib ones are both used that I won in auctions; the black one I consider one of the most attractive pens in my entire collection (up there with my red Pelikano P460) - the picture really doesn't do it justice. And, at $6, also the least expensive. :)

Very nice and it's good to see a report on the 'lower' value Waterman pens.

The 'flower' version was sold in a blister pack. It's the only model I have which a very kind member sent to me.

Some came in boxed sets and had strange names...Floaty Pen ?

Very nice and it's good to see a report on the 'lower' value Waterman pens.

The 'flower' version was sold in a blister pack. It's the only model I have which a very kind member sent to me.

Some came in boxed sets and had strange names...Floaty Pen ?

OMG! OMG! OMG! Thank you for that link! It's on the way! A little on the pricey side but, hey, why not?

I didn't mean to suggest that they didn't came packaged in some way originally; I meant the current stock being sold on ebay probably being unloaded loose in bulk by Waterman, sorry for the confusion.

Waterman offered pens in trays to shops, which they could place just like that in their shopwindows or sales show tables, and offered a separate box with boxes with it. (much cheaper, saves a few packaging steps at the factory)

D.ick

~

~

Doing a eugoogly on Floaty, I came across this FPN thread from 2014 started by Jackie_Nookah.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/271950-is-this-a-waterman-jif-set/

Lots of great pictures showing a wide range of colors and slightly different stylings.

I must find the forest green/pink one!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I love colorful pens much more than the more formal looking pens. Worth a bump.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Found this 2 weeks ago searching my cabinets for another pen...

fpn_1474818583__watjifset3.jpg

Nice. Thx for showing

~

~