Need Help On Choosing A Fp

fthefpaddict

hello! I'm pretty new here and am trying to find a new fp to replace my aging metropolitan. I'm really looking for a fp that has a pretty large ink capacity as I am in my 3rd year of college and don't know how much ink I need. I've been saving for about 4 yrs now so I'm pretty sure I can afford some expensive pens. I was looking at the lamy 2000 as I heard that it had a pretty large ink capacity but once I started searching for more all of these pens just came at me! next thing I knew I was looking at a pilot custom 823 and then some pelkan pens. I'm normally a person who rights a little too much and since I would sometimes use up all the ink in my ,metropolitan I had to go to pencil which really annoyed me :(

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fthefpaddict

• NinthSphere

• Inky.Fingers

• Bluey

What's the budget? How heavy you like your pens? Is a demonstrator pen fine? Do you post? What length of pen do you like? How thick must a grip be?

Answering such questions will help members give you specific recommendations. At this point in time, it's too broad for us to give a good recommendation :P

~Epic

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1348/557449480_2f02cc3cbb_m.jpg http://null.aleturo.com/Dumatborlon/Badges/5EH4/letter.png

A sincere man am I
From the land where palm trees grow,
And I want before I die
My soul's verses to bestow.

All those moments will be lost in time.
Like tears in rain.
Time to die.

What's the budget? How heavy you like your pens? Is a demonstrator pen fine? Do you post? What length of pen do you like? How thick must a grip be?

Answering such questions will help members give you specific recommendations. At this point in time, it's too broad for us to give a good recommendation :P

~Epicthe weight doesn't matter as long as its not too heavy, yes I post my pens, demonstrator would be AWESOME, length wise I'd like a mediocre tall pen and I guess the budget would up to $650

IMHO ink capacity is being overblown.

In college, I carried TWO Parker 45s with cartridge ink.

When pen #1 ran out of ink, I just switched to pen #2. Not a big deal. I would change ink cartridge between classes, when I had the time to do it.

And having a 2nd pen took care of the issue where pen #1 might stop working...for whatever reason.

I also had my ball pen and pencil to fall back on.

I don't know what college you go to, but IMHO, school, including college, is a high risk environment for loss, theft or damage. The amount of walking between classes going cross-campus, library and cafeteria, it is easy to forget and leave a pen behind, or drop it. I would NOT get an expensive pen to take to school. Leave the expensive pen at home.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

i would consider multiple pens also. I carry three minimum &, because the ink use was spread over multiple pens, I never worried about running out. If you're seriously writing enough to worry about it, perhaps multiple piston fillers.

I am always baffled when I read about people who worry that their ink supply will run out in the course of a day. I write essentially all day long and do not have this concern, even with my Prera, which is a wee pen with a wee converter.

Lately I have been using one of the cheap Dollar pens from Pakistan. It is a piston filler with enough capacity that I'm getting impatient with how long it takes to run out of ink.

I echo the multiple, pen approach for a college environment. When I did my seminary work a few years ago, I carried three pens - a Parker "51", a Sheaffer OS Balance, and a Pilot VP. The VP for quick notes, the Sheaffer and Parker for longer writing. If I was to be on campus for multiple days in a row, I brought a bottle of ink. Otherwise those three pens would carry me through any day of writing. I've also used Pelikan M200's in this sort of environment; large ink capacity, light weight, not overly expensive and absolutely reliable.

Good luck with your choice.

May we live, not by our fears but by our hopes; not by our words but by our deeds; not by our disappointments but by our dreams.

well thanks for all the suggestions I do realize that an expensive pens may get stolen I am really just looking for a pen with a large enough ink capacity so I wouldn't have to bring multiple I could again lose 1 or 2, heck maybe even three! So having one pen allows me to prioritize on that pen alone instead of multiple. I have taken a look at the lamy 2000 and even written with one the ink capacity allowed me to get through an entire class which I absolutely loved but the ink window was really small so I never really knew if the pen was full or not plus the way I didn't like the way the pen felt in my hand :P I've been looking into pelikans recently I've also been looking at the parker 51 I've been really addicted to pens where I can see the ammount of ink i.e twsbi vac 700 and 580. (although I heard that the vac 700 can be a bit finicky)

I think a Twsbi Eco or 580 AL will be the most practical options for you because they're inexpensive and ideal for college life. Possibly the Lamy 2000 as it's a really nice pen,but given you're at college you'll want to keep your costs minimal, plus the ink window I find is next to useless.

I really wouldn't bother with the Pelikans because they're very expensive for what you get and they can be troublesome - they're much better suited to collectors than pen users. The Twsbi vac 700 and Pilot 823, although they offer a large ink capacity they're not practical pens for the beginner.

The Parker 51 I would give a miss because it's a nightmare to clean and maintain and it holds very little ink.

Edited by Bluey

51s & M200s (if that's how you were leaning) are excellent pens & either one would be a fine choice. If there's one complaint I had about the M200, it's that it took me so long to work through a fill when I wanted to switch over ink. :D That's how it turned into one of my daily carry pens though.

51s & M200s (if that's how you were leaning) are excellent pens & either one would be a fine choice. If there's one complaint I had about the M200, it's that it took me so long to work through a fill when I wanted to switch over ink. :D That's how it turned into one of my daily carry pens though.

do you know how much ink a 51 and a m200 can take? as those two are in the spotlight right now. Plus I love the looks of both of them! I'm getting really close on finding a new pen to take with me on adventures (plus I have a metropolitan if things go bad!)

I think a Twsbi Eco or 580 AL will be the most practical options for you because they're inexpensive and ideal for college life. Possibly the Lamy 2000 as it's a really nice pen,but given you're at college you'll want to keep your costs minimal, plus the ink window I find is next to useless.

I really wouldn't bother with the Pelikans because they're very expensive for what you get and they can be troublesome - they're much better suited to collectors than pen users. The Twsbi vac 700 and Pilot 823, although they offer a large ink capacity they're not practical pens for the beginner.

The Parker 51 I would give a miss because it's a nightmare to clean and maintain and it holds very little ink.

I've looked into the eco and it I would have loved it if I didn't find the metropolitan first XD

well I guess the parker 51 is now off the list just searched up some review haha XD

nvm I was looking at the wrong review XD

do you know how much ink a 51 and a m200 can take? as those two are in the spotlight right now. Plus I love the looks of both of them! I'm getting really close on finding a new pen to take with me on adventures (plus I have a metropolitan if things go bad!)

I can't speak to the accuracy, but some Googling says ~1.12 for an aero 51 vs ~1.2 for an M200.

well I guess the parker 51 is now off the list just searched up some review haha XD

Curious what turned you off.

I can't speak to the accuracy, but some Googling says ~1.12 for an aero 51 vs ~1.2 for an M200.

Curious what turned you off.

I was looking at the wrong review XD so many tabs in my pc

Get a real pen .. that you will like .. TWSBI 580.

and turn it FrankenPen when you are done with it.

Below is a TWSBI 580 married to Sheaffer Triump Nib. This baby speaks both Chinese and English.

28728223884_5a0bfdc50d.jpg