Coronet Pen

Ambien

Anyone have info about MT Swan and the Coronet Pen?

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/x4UAAOSw9NdXvz3Y/s-l1600.jpg

source

Tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• peterg

• Cob

• Ambien

• birchtine

Top Posters In This Topic

As you are in the U.S, I assume that this one is an American Swan?

I posted elsewhere about a curious Mabie Todd product I have (English) called "The Whitehall Pen" It seems that Mabie Todd was prepared to make pens for other brands - and certainly in these cases, had no objection to stating the fact.

Perhaps the Coronet was made for one of the big American store chains?

Cob

fpn_1428963683__6s.jpg “The pen of the British Empire” fpn_1423349537__swan_sign_is.jpg

A very nice find! I think that Cob missed the barrel inscription stating that the pen was made in England. The pen indeed looks like one of the Blackbirds (more specifically BB2/42) and as far I can say it was probably made sometime in the mid 30s for another company or institution, maybe the Coronet Theatre in London(?) The nib seems to be a replacement since I would expect a pen without a pen maker inscription to carry a warranted nib. Anyway, even if the nib was replaced it is still correct for the corresponding Blackbird model of that time.

Thanks for pointing that out - oops!

The Coronet would not have been for the Coronation I fear. Coronets were/are worn by Peers. Kings and Queens wear crowns!

But as Frederick the Great sagely observed, "A crown is merely a hat that lets in the rain"!

My Mabie Todd Whitehall pen does have a warranted nib. I'll try to post some snaps on Monday.

Cob

Edited by Cob

fpn_1428963683__6s.jpg “The pen of the British Empire” fpn_1423349537__swan_sign_is.jpg

As you are in the U.S, I assume that this one is an American Swan?

I posted elsewhere about a curious Mabie Todd product I have (English) called "The Whitehall Pen" It seems that Mabie Todd was prepared to make pens for other brands - and certainly in these cases, had no objection to stating the fact.

Perhaps the Coronet was made for one of the big American store chains?

Cob

I am indeed in the USA but the seller is located in Paris, France. I thought maybe it was created somewhere else in Europe.

Tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow

Here's Cob's thread about the Whitehall pen: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/298403-the-whitehall-pen-by-mabie-todd/

As with all Mabie Todd fountain pens, the Whitehall has Mabie Todd (or MT & Co) stamped on it:

http://i.imgur.com/1kNbX9R.jpg

The Coronet pen doesn't, as far as I can tell from the pictures in the eBay listing:

http://i.imgur.com/MXtI5Tb.jpg

Aside from the nib (likely a replacement) and a generic resemblance to some of the Mabie Todd Blackbird pens (e.g. this one), I'm not sure there's enough to link it to Mabie Todd.

http://i.imgur.com/utQ9Ep9.jpg

I would have said The Coronet Pen was made by Mabie Todd. I have a The Coudray Pen which looks identical in brown/ bronze marble. Although it has a Lang's warranted nib (which I think is a replacement) the section and comb design of the feed is typical MT.

It is also possible to see strong MT influences in some other proprietory brand pens such as John Bull. Like De La Rue, the claim that they only made pens for themselves is extremely unlikely.

I would only expect MT to be stamped on MT sub brand pens, rather than those made for other proprietors.

I would have said The Coronet Pen was made by Mabie Todd. I have a The Coudray Pen which looks identical in brown/ bronze marble. Although it has a Lang's warranted nib (which I think is a replacement) the section and comb design of the feed is typical MT.

It is also possible to see strong MT influences in some other proprietory brand pens such as John Bull. Like De La Rue, the claim that they only made pens for themselves is extremely unlikely.

I would only expect MT to be stamped on MT sub brand pens, rather than those made for other proprietors.

Yes Peter but what about my Whitehall pen? We have been told that Langs/Summit produced a Whitehall pen, but mine (see link above) is stamped Made in England by Mabie Todd & Co Ltd. Now I would find it hard to believe that Mabie Todd had a sub-brand called Whitehall - Greenfinch, Bittern or Partridge yes!

Rgds

C.

I agree that is a conundrum as the pen also looks like a MT product.

There might have been copyright issues that caused MT to stop producing them, it looks like an early '20s pen, but it certainly ruffles my feathers!

However, the Coronet certainly looks like it was made by MT, probably for a small scale stationer, as many Conways were.

Edited by peterg

I agree about the resemblance to a MT product - it looks to my eye rather like a Blackbird 5242 from the mid- to late thirties.

Looking closely at the photo, I see that the pen is stamped Made in England - circumferentially. I have never see an English MT stamped thus, but I have seen American ones stamped in that fashion.

The plot thickens!

C.

The OP's pen is surely an MT product. The odds are vanishingly small that a pen identical to a standard-production MT model in nearly all respects would have been made by any other company.

Even disregarding the imprint, it is clearly not American production, as there was no equivalent model produced in the USA, nor any model even remotely similar.

It happens, I have an Acca pen which is identical to the early Senior Duofold right down to the Christmas tree feed. The only differences are the warranted nib and imprint (& possibly threads on the cap & blind cap - didn't check).

• 5 months later...

Just to add to the intrigue I have just received a Coronet pen and it was almost certainly made by Langs (or possibly Mentmore).

To me it confirms that Coronet was a third party brand who obtained batches of pens from various manufacturers.

Typically it is a large 135mm pen with a small nib in an eye catching slime and black marble, so beloved of low end Langs and Mentmore pens. It is a button filler, very like the Regent on the Summit site and the section is identical to an Auto Vac I have, with a Langs warranted nib. The problem is that many of these features and parts were also used by Mentmore.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Green-MARBLED-CORONET-FOUNTAIN-PEN-14CT-GOLD-NIB-Made-in-England-/371868204452?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=e%252BIbnCGVP5BuEPhnPZ0RAfNvimM%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Edited by peterg

• 2 weeks later...

This fpn_1488925912__p1010975.jpg looks to be identical to the Coronet at the beginning of this thread. A Mabie Todd made pen for a Stationery Shop in Dorking in Surrey.

Edited by Wardok