• christof

• senzen

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

fpn_1520315192__three_nibs.jpg

Three Montblanc Nibs

90th Anniversary 149 BB — Johann Strauss Donation Pen M — 1967 24 EEF

Edited by Tom Kellie

Dancing trio. Three flex nibs. At left, one of Pablo Carasco's modified Jowos in a Ranga 3. Middle is a Wahl #3 in a little Wahl vest pen. At the right we have a Wahl flexible in an oversized 1st gen Doric.

fpn_1520893910__trio_1_of_1.jpg

Dancing trio. Three flex nibs. At left, one of Pablo Carasco's modified Jowos in a Ranga 3. Middle is a Wahl #3 in a little Wahl vest pen. At the right we have a Wahl flexible in an oversized 1st gen Doric.

fpn_1520893910__trio_1_of_1.jpg

Is it the colour cast of the photo or are these rose gold nibs? Stunning, particularly the "breather" holes!

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

*Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14k. (factory) "H-B"

*Kaweco SPECIAL FP: 14k. "B",-0.6 mm BLS & 14k."M" 0.4 mm. BLS (PB)

*Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14k. "M" -0.7 mm.BLS, (PB)

Thanks, Tinta. No, not rose gold and white balanced using a reference card. It is a combination of flash and a 0.5 sec diffuse exposure though. The long exposures tend to pick up a bit of warmth, even in a calibrated image - never mind why. Warmth is what I was going for but maybe I overdid it.

Tom, some nice shots. Here's a suggestion. Make the same image but position the nibs a couple of inches in front of the flowers and open up the f stop to maybe one stop higher than fully open. That will isolate the nib against a blurred background. The nice colors will still be there in the background.

See if you like the effect and, if you do, post again.

Thanks, Tinta. No, not rose gold and white balanced using a reference card. It is a combination of flash and a 0.5 sec diffuse exposure though. The long exposures tend to pick up a bit of warmth, even in a calibrated image - never mind why. Warmth is what I was going for but maybe I overdid it.

Love the effect though. White balance is still a total mystery to me, as such I remain on "auto" mode for this setting & hope for the best.

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

*Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14k. (factory) "H-B"

*Kaweco SPECIAL FP: 14k. "B",-0.6 mm BLS & 14k."M" 0.4 mm. BLS (PB)

*Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14k. "M" -0.7 mm.BLS, (PB)

Love the effect though. White balance is still a total mystery to me, as such I remain on "auto" mode for this setting & hope for the best.

It's not that difficult once you get the basics: you take a photo of a grey card or in a pinch a white sheet of paper, and your camera takes that as the basis for colours; you then take a shot using that as your reference. Sometimes it can work wonders, particularly when there are mixed lights which can confuse the camera, like with sunlight mixed with interior lights. Can't say I've managed shots of pens quite as good as cunim's!

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

It's not that difficult once you get the basics: you take a photo of a grey card or in a pinch a white sheet of paper, and your camera takes that as the basis for colours; you then take a shot using that as your reference.

Don't use white paper or white fabric. Depending on how much UV the light contains the optical brighteners will play havoc with your white balance!

Edited by Andreas Weber

the cat half awake

and half sleeping on the book

"Quantum Mechanics"

(inspired by a German haiku by Tony Böhle)

• 2 weeks later...

Hero_1515_0.jpg

Hero_1515_1.jpg

Hero_1515_2.jpg

Hero_1515_3.jpg

Hero_1515_4.jpg

Hero_1515_5.jpg

Hero_1515_6.jpg

Hero_1515_7.jpg

First post : Still experimenting on getting the NIB ..

In the future I will most likely have to use the tripod ( These shots are free hand )

Tom, some nice shots. Here's a suggestion. Make the same image but position the nibs a couple of inches in front of the flowers and open up the f stop to maybe one stop higher than fully open. That will isolate the nib against a blurred background. The nice colors will still be there in the background.

See if you like the effect and, if you do, post again.

~ cunim:

Thank you for your interest.

The images had been made in various configurations, including what you suggested.

After looking at all of them with a group of students, it was decided to post the ones above.

There being a range of tastes, it's not always possible to satisfy everyone's preferences.

The students liked what was posted.

What can I say?

All images are a joy to see in this forum, aren't they?

Tom K.

• 3 weeks later...