Help Me Identify This Pen Please

hariharan

Hi

In a recent visit to one of my trusted pen shops, i bought the below cross pen. this is my second cross pen and i have no knowledge about the models.

The shop owner a kind gentleman sold me this for Rs.4000/- approx $60. He said the original price of this is more than $250. So I bought this. But i have no clue about the model. Its a sleek fountain pen with M gold nib. In the cap is written, "Cross, 20 10 KT Gold filled, Made in USA".

It writes beautifully like silk.

I will be thankful if someone can help me identify the model

post-80706-0-22647500-1472831406_thumb.jpg

post-80706-0-79443400-1472832008_thumb.jpg

post-80706-0-79055500-1472832118_thumb.jpg

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hariharan

• Jerome Tarshis

• pensuponpens

• gracespens

I am sure others will chime in concerning date of production and so forth, but at least as to the general model, I think you've got a Cross Century (as opposed to the Classic Century (which is slimmer), Century II (wider), Century 2000 (wider still), etc.).

Please see my current classifieds!

Looking for a Cross Century 2000 RB and/or FP in Chrome: http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/classifieds/item/43765-wtb-cross-century-2000-rollerball-andor-fp-in-chrome/

I think that is a good price. It is obviously a pre-loved pen, there are some scratches on the nib, but yes, that pen must have cost more than 250 USD.

It is gilded, not gold. Gold filled is a thicker layer than gold plated.

It has a 20 micron layer of 10kt gold.

I think the nib is steel.

Cross has made pens in several grades of gold. You can also find 14 and 18 kt gold filled.

I think this is the original Century pen.

Did you get a converter with it?

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

That is definitely a Century. They sold in the early '80's, but I don't remember the original price. $60 is a nice price for the pen, as it was easily $150+ when it came out and they are durable, reliable pens.

Thanks a lot for your replies. I too searched catalogue s of cross and eBay to identify the pen. The store owner me that the nib is gold. I am not very sure as the gold nibs usually stamp the kt s in it. A similar prem peytonstreetpen.com quoted it as 14kt gold nib. However that doesn't mean that all models came with gold.

I really don't mind whether it's gold out not. The pen is beautiful and it writes wonderful. With the heavy wear in its body and nib i assume that it must have been a daily pen or work horse for someone. The beauty of the vintage is that it carries with itself hidden stories that let us wonder, and some times fantasize about is glorious past.

Felicitations on buying an excellent pen. I own several of the same model, some with 14K nibs and some (like yours) with gold-plated steel nibs. For what it's worth, I can tell you that some admirers of the Cross Century believe that the steel nibs wrote better than the gold nibs, on the average.

That the pen ever sold for $250 or even $150 I rather doubt. Prices used to be lower than they are now. I can remember when Montblanc 149s sold for what we would now consider to be very moderate prices.

Thanks for your feedback.

Its three days since i inked and i smile every time i write. I shared it with my colleagues who were at awe in its smoothness. So what you said is true. They write and your heart melts.

Felicitations on buying an excellent pen. I own several of the same model, some with 14K nibs and some (like yours) with gold-plated steel nibs. For what it's worth, I can tell you that some admirers of the Cross Century believe that the steel nibs wrote better than the gold nibs, on the average.

That the pen ever sold for $250 or even $150 I rather doubt. Prices used to be lower than they are now. I can remember when Montblanc 149s sold for what we would now consider to be very moderate prices.

• 1 month later...

Love my Cross Century pens...

I have the 18K, 14K, and gold plated steel nibs and they're all wonderful writers! My 14K is the smoothest, however.

It must have something to do with the nib adjustments. A good nibmeister can jimmy almost any nib to be fantastic.

I love the Century I for its sleek look, but the Century II cap is the tightest in terms of closure- and that's important when you carry it around.

Many years ago, I lost a barrel to my Century I (a college grad gift to myself) and I was devastated. I sent the cap and section back to Cross and they replaced it with a brand new Century II ... Unfortunately, at the time, I was ignorant

of the difference in nibs and only years later did I notice that they switched my 14K gold nib for the steel one in the process. I was so busy being happy to have a barrel on my section and cap that I did not look!... :)

I have since found another Century I, rose gold, with a nice 14K nib... It's my favorite!

Pen Nutzee

That's quite a story :)

For a moment i was appreciative of Cross for their service and immediately felt bad for your loss of gold nib.

Love my Cross Century pens...

I have the 18K, 14K, and gold plated steel nibs and they're all wonderful writers! My 14K is the smoothest, however.

It must have something to do with the nib adjustments. A good nibmeister can jimmy almost any nib to be fantastic.

I love the Century I for its sleek look, but the Century II cap is the tightest in terms of closure- and that's important when you carry it around.

Many years ago, I lost a barrel to my Century I (a college grad gift to myself) and I was devastated. I sent the cap and section back to Cross and they replaced it with a brand new Century II ... Unfortunately, at the time, I was ignorant

of the difference in nibs and only years later did I notice that they switched my 14K gold nib for the steel one in the process. I was so busy being happy to have a barrel on my section and cap that I did not look!... :)

I have since found another Century I, rose gold, with a nice 14K nib... It's my favorite!