We all remembers our first fountain pen we started writing with. We have always cherished that pen and the company.
For me, Airmail has been and will always be close to my heart.
From school days to 2012 have been loyal to Airmail. However, when I misplaced them in 2012 it broke my heart. Since then searched a lot for them. Always thought the company might have closed.
However , a month back noticed that Airmail has started selling the pens on Amazon.in
It was a surprise and ordered couple of 70 and & 71JT. Each costing about 350/- INR which seemed very resonable.
Will be reviewing Airmail Wality 70 with few pictures.
Online order experience:
1. Ordered four Airmail 70 pens of brown colour. The very next day received a call from the representative informing that brown colour is not available and if I may wait for a week or order mix colours. Could not wait and ordered the mix colours(brown, red, blue and green) . The person was courteous and simple to talk to. No typical business-wala talk but very humble gentleman. The package was shipped within 2 days, shipped by BlueDart and received in 9 days.
2. They were packed in a A4 size envelope, which could be better packed for added safety. I was expecting them to be packed loose bound together and scratched/ damaged. However to my surprise each pen is packed neatly in a box with foam cut for the pen, with an eyedropper and a spare two-tone medium nib. It was something unexpected and does get a smile on you. Compare it with the Parker packed in a cheap cardboard and plastic covers.
3. It would make a nice gift for someone who loves FPs.
Pictures of the Beauty
A Classic look
Foam cut to safe the pen from any scratch with a eyedropper
Comfortable to hold. Light weight. Rests nicely. Well balanced when writing without the cap posted.
Even with the cap posted the pen is well balanced due to the light weight. Either way , with or without the cap it is comfortable to hold and write for long duration.
The nib with the pen is fine. It is equivalent to 0.5mm. A bit fine than Luxor 0.5. Depends on how much pressure one puts on. There is no flex to it at all. The nib has been smooth to write with. Had to tweek a bit for wet writing which I prefer.
The feeder is a flat feeder unlike few who have a thick feeder.
The feeder is of good quality and surely is not a cheap hand made one. The grooves to screw in are nicely made and it screws in smoothly.
The feeder has grooves for ink flow. They are not cut by hand. Precise neat and deep cuts which has ensured nice steady ink flow throughout.
The grooves are well cut ,both in and outside the barrel.
Translucent slots to see the ink level. To see the level one needs to hold it vertical for few seconds, let ink to flow and against a bright light.
Quality of pen:
1. Extremely well made. Impressive. Construction of the pen is top notch quality- comparable to any pen one can think of. Feel it to believe it.
2. Elegant looking. Does catches the eyes of people around, writing or be it in pocket.
3. Light weight. Does not mean its cheap material!!!
4. It is nealty made, well designed for long duration writing. Have not felt tired holding it.
1. Out of the box, filled and it started writing straight away. Used it for couple of days but seemed dry for my liking. A bit of adjusting the feeder for wet ink flow and working like magic since then.
2. Have not had any sudden ink blobs flowing out till now.
3. Kept it uncaped for 15mins, picked up and it wrote straight away. ( I dont think anyone would keep their FP uncaped for so long!)
4. Takes 3ml of ink. Thats more than enough one needs to fill in pages!
1. It is an extremely serious contender to many FPs which cost more than twice! For VFM it beats Parker hands down!!!!
2. The colour, the design all along catches the eyes of beholders around. Rather than discussing the papers to sign- the topic always came to the FP.
3. With the pretty decent cardboard box, neat presentation can be a gift.
4. For daily use its a beautiful, quality FP and pleasure to write with.
5. Many would want to change the nib. I am satisfied with the nib it has, been smooth so far.
6. For extreme VFM for a student who would want a ED pen- Trinity is lot better as it costs 100/- as compared to 350/- for Airmail.
Anyone who has been using it, would like to hear your experience.
Edited by ajaynatu, 02 September 2016 - 14:54.