I Like Quality Mechanical Pencils, But...

PaperMage

I enjoy mechanicals made of metal for their aesthetics, but writing with them for extended periods of time is usually fatiguing because of their weight. I noticed that when I hold my pencil at the eraser end, it feels lighter and easier to write with. This is probably because most of these mechanical pencils are slightly front heavy, which focuses the center of mass towards my fingers. When I turn the pencil around, the weight rests on the meaty part of my hand so my fingers do less work.

So my question is: Could anyone recommend me a metal mechanical pencil that is more back heavy?

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks for your time, and have a nice day.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Algester

• MYU

• flatline

• AL01

Top Posters In This Topic

The best made metal pencil is probably Yard O Led

http://www.yard-o-led.co.uk/category/pens?product_filter%5BCollection%5D%5B%5D=0&product_filter%5BFinish%5D%5B%5D=0&product_filter%5BType%5D%5B%5D=2

The difficulty is your wish for back heaviness, 50/50 weight is about all you can expect. Suggest you alter your grip and the line through your wrist to the fingers, keeping this as straight as you can and relaxed.

It's only half-metal I think, but the Pentel Sharp Kerry has a metal cap which, when posted (which is always) has more of a rear weight to it. Plus I really like it as a pencil and as an object.

• 4 months later...

My Uni Kuru Toga Alpha Gel is rather back heavy, for a mechanical pencil that's also fairly lightweight. I find it very comfortable to write with for long sessions as well. And I know comfort with pencil writing, since I'm a double major in math and Japanese. When college is in session, I spend most of my day writing with pencil, and this one is the most comfortable I've ever used for prolonged writing.

Edited by Aquaria

I suggest you consider a different strategy.

If the pencil is bottom heavy (heavier towards the tip than the eraser end), then you don't need to provide any downward pressure when you write. Instead, you let the pencil provide the downward pressure and you simply provide the lateral pressure required to move the tip across the paper.

However, if the pencil is top heavy, then the weight of the pencil will always be attempting to lever the tip of the pencil off the paper so that you need to push down to write in addition to the pressure required to move the tip laterally across the paper.

So if you have to have a weighty pencil, it would seem that a bottom heavy pencil would create less fatigue over time than a top heavy pencil.

The third option is to get a very light pencil. In this case you need to provide both downward and lateral pressure to write, but you will not be fighting the weight of the pencil to do so.

--flatline

The best made metal pencil is probably Yard O Led

http://www.yard-o-led.co.uk/category/pens?product_filter%5BCollection%5D%5B%5D=0&product_filter%5BFinish%5D%5B%5D=0&product_filter%5BType%5D%5B%5D=2

The difficulty is your wish for back heaviness, 50/50 weight is about all you can expect. Suggest you alter your grip and the line through your wrist to the fingers, keeping this as straight as you can and relaxed.

That's one heck of a good looking propelling pencil. Is there anything that looks like that, but without the premium price?

That's one heck of a good looking propelling pencil. Is there anything that looks like that, but without the premium price?

nope... most mechanical pencils at that form factor will come with a premium...

I do like how the CdA 849 mechanical pencil looks but its expensive for what it is (like most swiss goods I guess german engineering/precision with italian luxury prices)

Are you pressing to hard? That could cause some fatigue.

Have you tried softer lead? That may make pencil writing more like writing with a FP - little pressure needed.

4B or softer may do it.

while most of my picks will have plastic parts here are my hot takes

Tombow Mono Graph Zero

Uni-ball Shift lock

Zebra Delguard Type-LX

Pilot S20

Tombow Z505 (Pentel Sharp Kerry/MannenCIL)

Faber-Castell Ondoro

Caran d'Ache 849

GvFC Classic (a whole price point its there with YoL)

Pentel Graph Gear 500

Pentel Graph Gear 1000

if you want a dynamic weight pen

Shaker pens with locks built into them with a conventional feeding mechanism is also good

Zebra Tech2Way only falls in this category

and of course quintessential creme de la creme

Rotring...

Edited by Algester

• 3 weeks later...

Check out the Rotring 600 pencils at jetpens.

Very nice pencils in either silver or black.

The Rotring 600 gets lots of praise, but I like the 500 better since it has a lower center of gravity.

--flatline

I have the Graf von faber Castell Classic in ebony and platinum. The weight is more on the eraser side, because of its platinum cap. It is very confortable.

They have an all metal, too.

WomenWagePeace

SUPORTER OF http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/100x75q90/631/uh2SgO.jpg

My avatar is a painting by the imense surrealist painter Remedios Varo

do yourself a favor and try a rOtring 600. doesn't look fancy but imo, that's the yard stick all other mechanical pencils are measured by (and none could ever quite match).

• 1 year later...

I suggest you consider a different strategy.

If the pencil is bottom heavy (heavier towards the tip than the eraser end), then you don't need to provide any downward pressure when you write. Instead, you let the pencil provide the downward pressure and you simply provide the lateral pressure required to move the tip across the paper.

However, if the pencil is top heavy, then the weight of the pencil will always be attempting to lever the tip of the pencil off the paper so that you need to push down to write in addition to the pressure required to move the tip laterally across the paper.

So if you have to have a weighty pencil, it would seem that a bottom heavy pencil would create less fatigue over time than a top heavy pencil.

The third option is to get a very light pencil. In this case you need to provide both downward and lateral pressure to write, but you will not be fighting the weight of the pencil to do so.

--flatline

This sounds reasonable in theory, but in practice it does not prove to be true.

The problem is that you did not take into account the fact that one must repeatedly LIFT the weight of a tip-heavy pencil as one writes. That seems to be the true cause of fatigue (assuming one is not adding unnecessary force from being heavy-handed). It is a problem when writing in cursive, but is even more of a problem when printing.

I did an experiment years ago to answer this question for myself. I taped small, lead fishing weights to the body of a pencil at various points to alter the center of balance. Over the course of several weeks, I discovered that the optimal balance for minimum fatigue was when the pencil was slightly back heavy such that, when held, the tip wanted to ever-so-slightly lift from the page. I was able to write for hours in that configuration.

A theory that I have always suspected to be true is that many people experience writing fatigue simply because they don't write enough to develop the muscles involved. Instead, most people today do far more typing on a computer keyboard than they do writing, which develops an entirely different set of muscles in the hand. This muscle imbalance causes premature cramping when attempting to write. Maybe there is a market for remedial writing instruments... ;)

• 5 months later...

Uni Style Fit 3-body Meister is made of metal. It is a multi-pen, but pencil components are made by Uni. Only problem is the 3-body Meister lacks an eraser.

Posted Image

Another solution is to simply find an all metal pencil that's generally light weight. Spoke Pencils has a solution with 2 models at the moment -- the Spoke 4 and Spoke 5. The 5 is all aluminum. The 4 uses a variety of materials that is selected by the customer. The body is always aluminum, but the grip can be aluminum, steel, brass, or titanium. So for a light version, go with an aluminum grip. Very well made and uses the Pentel P200 core for excellent performance, reliability, and ease of replacement.

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small