Hobonichi Today

Namo

For 2016 I gave a try to Hobonichi planners. I don't like day by day planners, so I was delighted to find out the Weeks option.

Today was he opening of the shop for pre order of the 2017, and I must confess that I am hocked to the point of jumping on my computer to complete my order...

I got a yellow weeks and added book notes and a clear cover. My previous was the black white line, soft cover version, this one is hard cover (maybe not the wisest choice).

Can't wait to receive it and use it... in another full 4 monthes (a third of a year!)

So, did you/will get a Hobonichi planner, and if so, which one?

amonjak.com

post-21880-0-68964400-1403173058.jpg

free 70 pages graphic novel. Enjoy!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Namo

• migo984

• mivox

• Tasmith

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I got an original Techo. This will be the third year I've used one. I don't really use it as a planner--more as a diary/commonplace book. I also got one of the green stencils. I'm kind of sorry I did not get the taller "schedule" stencil.

I am debating between the English A6 Planner or a set of the A6 Avec. I really really really REALLY wish they'd release an English-language Avec. I'm worried the full-year book will be too bulky to carry around in my purse. :(

I got a June-Dec Avec at the beginning of summer, just to see if I'd like using it, which I do... but I'd like to be able to read the quotes at the bottoms of the pages (because Google Translate really does not cut it! lol).

I must admit to being repelled by the ballpoint pen and fake food "bonus items" included with the Hobonichi Techo. Why on earth would they include a ballpoint pen with a product designed for fountain pens? And the fake food, while it must be popular in Japan, is tacky and somewhat disgusting to American tastes. Someone needs to speak to the marketing department.

The cost for EMS shipping is almost as high as the cost of the book. I'll wait and get my copy from Jet Pens.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

I must admit to being repelled by the ballpoint pen and fake food "bonus items" included with the Hobonichi Techo. Why on earth would they include a ballpoint pen with a product designed for fountain pens? And the fake food, while it must be popular in Japan, is tacky and somewhat disgusting to American tastes. Someone needs to speak to the marketing department.

The cost for EMS shipping is almost as high as the cost of the book. I'll wait and get my copy from Jet Pens.

It wasn't designed for fountain pens.

Tomoegawa paper was originally chosen because its light weight was well suited for a planner with a large number of pages, and a wide range of mark makers could be used on it. The vast majority of owners of Hobonichi will use gel pens, fine liners, pencils, highlighters & ballpoints.

The fact that it is FP-friendly is just a bonus & has been seized on by the FP community, which actually came very late to the Hobonichi party.

I'm sure the marketing department aren't worried about American tastes. It's not their target market.

Verba volant, scripta manent

It wasn't designed for fountain pens.

Tomoegawa paper was originally chosen because its light weight was well suited for a planner with a large number of pages, and a wide range of mark makers could be used on it. The vast majority of owners of Hobonichi will use gel pens, fine liners, pencils, highlighters & ballpoints.

The fact that it is FP-friendly is just a bonus & has been seized on by the FP community, which actually came very late to the Hobonichi party.

I'm sure the marketing department aren't worried about American tastes. It's not their target market.

Not only: but some inks takes forever to dry. I have an insert of blotting paper inside my planner. But the paper is so soft!!

amonjak.com

I am debating between the English A6 Planner or a set of the A6 Avec. I really really really REALLY wish they'd release an English-language Avec. I'm worried the full-year book will be too bulky to carry around in my purse. :(

I got a June-Dec Avec at the beginning of summer, just to see if I'd like using it, which I do... but I'd like to be able to read the quotes at the bottoms of the pages (because Google Translate really does not cut it! lol).

As long as the weekdays are in English (or French or German or Italian or Spanish or Portuguese. I guess Swedish, Romanian, Dutch would do too), I don't really care about what's left.

amonjak.com

As long as the weekdays are in English (or French or German or Italian or Spanish or Portuguese. I guess Swedish, Romanian, Dutch would do too), I don't really care about what's left.

[snip/paste]

Not only: but some inks takes forever to dry. I have an insert of blotting paper inside my planner. But the paper is so soft!!

The weekdays are in Japanese... but as a bonus, I guess I am learning the Japanese days of the week? lol

As to the paper, yes, I also keep a sheet of more absorbent paper tucked in mine, against the last page I've written on. Not only do some inks take a long time to dry, but some will NEVER 'set' well enough to not smudge. I have grudgingly stopped using both Diamine Oxblood & Bilberry in mine, because the old pages smeared every time I touched one. :-( But I've had excellent luck with all the Noodler's colors I've tested out in it!

Judging from the pen offerings in their store (gel and ball pens), they're definitely not primarily marketing to fountain pen people. Judging from the fact that most of their planner offerings aren't even available in English versions, they're definitely not primarily marketing to Americans. And I was born and raised in the U.S., but a picture of toast on a melamine plate doesn't really trip my disgust meter in the slightest. In fact, I think it's kind of cute.

But the shipping costs *are* atrocious, so if I end up deciding to buy the English-language Hobonichi I will be ordering from JetPens as well. The "mini butter toast plate" might be cute, but it's not $20 cute, and I don't need another multi-ballpoint...

I considered ordering mine from JetPens, too, because of the shipping. But I haven't been able to find the stencil I wanted inside the country, and I thought the freebies were kind of fun (though what I would do with the toast thing, I have no idea).

Mostly, though, I was afraid that JetPens would be sold out by the time I found out it was available from them, so I went ahead and ordered from the Hobonichi store. The difference in cost for the shipping wasn't that much to me, considering I wanted the other product, too. I don't know what JetPens will sell them for, but it may be that the cost will figure in the higher postage costs anyway.

(though what I would do with the toast thing, I have no idea).

Personally, I was thinking I'd hang it on the wall in a completely random location in my house, just to freak out people who noticed it... :lticaptd:

Edited by mivox

I have grudgingly stopped using both Diamine Oxblood & Bilberry in mine, because the old pages smeared every time I touched one. :-( But I've had excellent luck with all the Noodler's colors I've tested out in it!

I've had a very mixed experience with Nood Dragon Napalm...

PR Super blue DC show (or is it See DC blue show, or...??) works fine as well as most Sailor inks I've tried.

amonjak.com

I am quite hooked on Tomoe River paper for all my fountain pens. I love it and think it works just wonderfully. Wasn't designed for fountain pens? Well, then I suppose it is a happy accident that is works so well with them.

For the 2017 release I ordered and A6 planner (in English) with the black leather Travel cover. I intend to use that as a gratitude/art journal. I also ordered an A5 Cousin with the Liberty Arts cover to use as my 2017 planner.

I think the Hobonichi is just fantastic, and I use only Tomoe River paper these days.

God put me on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things. Right now I am so far behind, I will never die.

-Bill Waterson

I am quite hooked on Tomoe River paper for all my fountain pens. I love it and think it works just wonderfully. Wasn't designed for fountain pens? Well, then I suppose it is a happy accident that is works so well with them.

For the 2017 release I ordered and A6 planner (in English) with the black leather Travel cover. I intend to use that as a gratitude/art journal. I also ordered an A5 Cousin with the Liberty Arts cover to use as my 2017 planner.

I think the Hobonichi is just fantastic, and I use only Tomoe River paper these days.

I bought the A5 Cousin Liberty cover last year (navy & cream). I was a bit hesitant about it being a linen fabric but it has lasted incredibly well and stood up to being hauled around the world. It still looks almost like new,

Enjoy your cover :-)

Verba volant, scripta manent

I bought the A5 Cousin Liberty cover last year (navy & cream). I was a bit hesitant about it being a linen fabric but it has lasted incredibly well and stood up to being hauled around the world. It still looks almost like new,

Enjoy your cover :-)

This is my first hobonichi planner and I'm excited. I ordered online, deciding not to wait. I phoned the Kinokuniya this morning and they were just not sure they were going to have it as they already stock so many other planners. I should phone again to speak with the buyer but that made me pull the trigger for ordering!

I decided on the tweed tambourine planner. Yes, spendy but it looks like it can be used in different ways if I got tired of carrying the planner, traveler wallet for example! I'm hoping this material will stand up as well.

I used a Techo throughout 2015, but skipped this year -- and was sorry for it. I only really use mine for boring work checklists and the like, but it was still an excellent way to arrange things. I ordered an English planner with the "Pineapple Yellow" cover for 2017 (the SSACK cover I have just didn't thrill me) and am looking forward to getting back to using it.

I used a Techo throughout 2015, but skipped this year -- and was sorry for it. I only really use mine for boring work checklists and the like, but it was still an excellent way to arrange things. I ordered an English planner with the "Pineapple Yellow" cover for 2017 (the SSACK cover I have just didn't thrill me) and am looking forward to getting back to using it.

I use mine only as a planner, so not much excitement there. But if one can do a boring thing with a beautiful and well design object - isn't it the whole point?

amonjak.com

I've ordered my first Hobonichi, a Cousin. :)

" A single dream is more powerful that thousand realities.! J.R.R.T.

Sapere aude! :happy:

I'm now thinking of getting two... An Avec set for carrying with me and writing lists & tracking things and maybe actually planning... haha

And then an English Planner to keep at home and use as a daily journal (what I've been using my current Avec for). The A6 format isn't big enough to do both on one page, but I definitely don't want to carry anything bigger.

• 2 weeks later...

My planner and pineapple yellow cover arrived today. I have it all put together and the freebie tri-pen in the loops to get them in the right shape for use, even if I am unlikely to keep a pen through them all the time. Now I have a reason to look forward to the new year.

Mine arrived a couple of days ago, along with a clear cover and three notebooks. Yellow cream Weeks.

How could I ever lived without a cover?? I am using with my 2016 planner and it's just perfect.

As last year, shipping and packing were more thanerfect, and I gave the pen to my 7 1/2 year son :-D

I am definitely hooked to Hobonichi planners!

Sad... the quest is over.. ;-)

amonjak.com