About Pilot Nibs...

shawndp

Hello Everyone!

A while back I tried the Prera with the CI nib (Marked M ) and absolutely loved the nib but not the pen itself (I like the pen, it doesn't really fit my hand). I ordered a Plumix off Amazon (same nib) and stuck it in a Metro that was not seeing any action. To say that I enjoy the way it writes is a bit of an understatement! I bought a couple of 78g in M yesterday but realized there is a B that acts like a stub / italic? Does anyone here have both nibs - I am looking for a comparison please? Thanks

Shawn

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• shawndp

• eliweisz

• pararis

• gzp

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Everyone!

A while back I tried the Prera with the CI nib (Marked M ) and absolutely loved the nib but not the pen itself (I like the pen, it doesn't really fit my hand). I ordered a Plumix off Amazon (same nib) and stuck it in a Metro that was not seeing any action. To say that I enjoy the way it writes is a bit of an understatement! I bought a couple of 78g in M yesterday but realized there is a B that acts like a stub / italic? Does anyone here have both nibs - I am looking for a comparison please? Thanks

Shawn

Be sure the B nib in 78G is a rather sharp Italic. You can get the pen from Hong Kong, free shipping - for $13 (US), it's a steal. Sorry, haven't got the CI nib (yet).

Edited by eliweisz

Practice, patience, perseverance

Be sure the B nib in 78G is a rather sharp Italic. You can get the pen from Hong Kong, free shipping - for $13 (US), it's a teal. Sorry, haven't got the CI nib (yet).

I got a package of two pens, two CON-20's and a couple of boxes of cartridges headed my way for USD 30 incl. shipping... I have always been a fan of B nibs, but have recently developed a fascination for Italic and Stubs - adds a bit of flair to otherwise mundane notes.

... but have recently developed a fascination for Italic and Stubs - adds a bit of flair to otherwise mundane notes.

Same here. I cannot recommend the 78G enough, it's a really smart little pen. Maybe a little dry, but if you write relatively slow, it doesn't matter. Don't by shy to use the cartridges - they hold more ink than ANY (I said: ANY!) Pilot converter, and the ink itself is saturated and well-behaving.

I love the way the 78G B writes but was a little disappointed in the Plumix medium. It may just be that I need to try the Plumix nib in another body or maybe give it some more time. It just seems there is something special about the 78G B. I like the colors of the Preras, going to have to try one of those.

I love the way the 78G B writes but was a little disappointed in the Plumix medium. It may just be that I need to try the Plumix nib in another body or maybe give it some more time. It just seems there is something special about the 78G B. I like the colors of the Preras, going to have to try one of those.

The Plumix body is too flimsy to truly enjoy what that nib is capable of delivering... If you have a spare 78g it may be a good candidate for a transplant. Would you say the 78g in B is wider / smoother? Thanks

Would you say the 78g in B is wider / smoother? Thanks

Yes, it may have been the the medium on the Plumix didn't show the line variation as well as the broad.

For the sake of closure, I figured I would add my thoughts now that I have both nibs in hand. The B-stub in the Pilot 78g seems ever so slightly wider under certain strokes and is sharper on the cross strokes. The Plumix nib now in a Metro feels wetter (could be the ink) and turns from the down-stroke into the cross-stroke with less effort. If you have one you are not missing out much from not having the other, but I certainly recommend having at least one of the two for adding some everyday flair to your writing.

For the sake of closure, I figured I would add my thoughts now that I have both nibs in hand. The B-stub in the Pilot 78g seems ever so slightly wider under certain strokes and is sharper on the cross strokes. The Plumix nib now in a Metro feels wetter (could be the ink) and turns from the down-stroke into the cross-stroke with less effort. If you have one you are not missing out much from not having the other, but I certainly recommend having at least one of the two for adding some everyday flair to your writing.

:thumbup:

You haven't lived until you've used a 78G BB. Tune the nib a bit before inking so you get a good flow, and wow!!

I discovered their existence this weekend via a blog and would love to get my hands on one - except the only two sources seling them would put the shiped cost to Canada at close to $40 CAD which seems a touch $$ for a 78G... Any pointers where to aquire one at a decent price?

I discovered their existence this weekend via a blog and would love to get my hands on one - except the only two sources seling them would put the shiped cost to Canada at close to $40 CAD which seems a touch $$ for a 78G... Any pointers where to aquire one at a decent price?

Check pokydady or ssquare_gifts or jewelrymathematics on FleaBay (no affiliation, the latter offers free shipping worldwide).