Sheaffer Prelude

samba

As a heavy user of the Prelude I can say that they are phenomenal pens! I got lucky and received an NOS US version from 2001 in '13 but from my knowledge the new ones are as good as the old ones... (So Sheaffer did do something right from the ole days...)

After a lot of use my Prelude's section has partially discolored to a light grey, so that may be the only problem for anybody who plans to use the pen daily....

A great pen that can accept a wide variety of inks. I can't recommend it enough for everything! Really, it's a pen that looks great in a wedding or on a school day!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• marcelo

• ian1964

• pajaro

• woleizihan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, the new Chinese Prelude arrived and I've had a chance to use it alongside my 18 year old Ft Madison Prelude and I'm impressed.

First, fit and finish is absolutely as good on the new one as on the older one. The new one is slightly heavier; the lacquer on the older one MIGHT be slightly deeper in color but if so, not by much. The older one was a steel nib while the new one has a 14K nib. Both are mediums. The older pen does have the little pearly insert in the cap crown, the new one a wider cap band. The older one has plastic section threads while the newer one has steel section threads. Both sat for two days, capped but not used, and both started immediately.

The one thing that would give away which I was using in a blind test is that the older one did have finger rest placement spots on the section while the new section is simply conic.

Other than that tell, I would find it impossible to tell from writing with one which pen was which.

The best part though is that the new Chinese pen cost about the same absolute (not adjusted) dollars as the one purchased 18 years ago.

My Website

I have a real soft spot for these pens because it was a set bought at Changi airport that really kicked off by passion. However, I have always bought the early ones because I like the history associated with Sheaffer and Ft Madison. To me, Ft Madison is Sheaffer. I am happy to hear the quality is the same though.

The best part though is that the new Chinese pen cost about the same absolute (not adjusted) dollars as the one purchased 18 years ago.

No wonder why they are being made in China. :-)

Thank you for the review, Jar! BTW, which model is the Chinese one?

No wonder why they are being made in China. :-)

Thank you for the review, Jar! BTW, which model is the Chinese one?

Here are the two pens:

http://www.fototime.com/9D815617A80453C/medium800.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/3C01097C68B9F63/medium800.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/4D7516DCEAB2DBF/medium800.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/36F87A096B9A435/medium800.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/ED1223D6F0E1D43/medium800.jpg

The red pen is the new Chinese while the blue pen was made in FT Madison. The red pen is part of the current Signature line.

My Website

The original without metal trim on the end of the section is IMO a better design. That bling eventually corrodes. :sick:

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

I do not want to hijack the thread but my Prelude's section is turning into a light grey color. Can it's color be restored?

I've seen that on some of the Sheaffer plastics. I don't know why some plastics do that, but the answer has always been "no."

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

I own both and prefer the new version because the section is cylindrical and does not have the weird ridged grip area that forces you to hold the pen a certain way. I don't like the Lamy Safari for this very reason. At first I thought I would get used to it but it got annoying very soon. The cap band on the older version looks better, I think.

The writing performance is identical. The Sheaffer feed (same in both models) is very well designed and regulates flow very well providing a wet and even writing experience.

I've owned 4 Preludes, nice pens all. I think my daughter swiped every one of them, including the Rainbow!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

I've owned 4 Preludes, nice pens all. I think my daughter swiped every one of them, including the Rainbow!

:D

I've got several older preludes and one of the new ones in the signature series.

The gold nib in the new signature series seems to have a bit more give to me than the older non-gold nibs.

Aside from that they feel the same to me.

The funny thing is that I find myself reaching for a Taranis instead of a Prelude if both are around, so go figure :-)

• 2 weeks later...

An update:

I let the two pens simply sit, capped but unused, for over a week and both started immediately and without hesitation.

I have about the same experience. The Prelude I have was originally a rollerball, because I had to dig out the spacer from the barrel. An ebay seller probably dumped it after finding a converter wouldn't fit. It works OK, though, and I like the two-tone nib. It is too medium for me, though, but it is better than Sonnet by far. Actually, better than most other C/C pens except Montblanc. I think that is a pretty good recommendation.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

• 2 weeks later...

After a few weeks of regular use, my new version Prelude with 14K nib seems to have some ink flow issues. The pen just stops writing after a page or so. I have to nudge it a bit or prime the feed to get it to start again.

Anyone else seeing this issue? I'm using Iroshizuku Asa Gao in it, which is currently the wettest and most lubricated ink I own. It might just be some manufacturing debris in the feed that needs to be thoroughly cleaned out, which I will try next.

After a few weeks of regular use, my new version Prelude with 14K nib seems to have some ink flow issues. The pen just stops writing after a page or so. I have to nudge it a bit or prime the feed to get it to start again.

Anyone else seeing this issue? I'm using Iroshizuku Asa Gao in it, which is currently the wettest and most lubricated ink I own. It might just be some manufacturing debris in the feed that needs to be thoroughly cleaned out, which I will try next.

It's most likely a surface tension issue with the converter. Switch to one of the Sheaffer cartridges and see if the issue goes away.

My Website

Here are the two pens:

The red pen is the new Chinese while the blue pen was made in FT Madison. The red pen is part of the current Signature line.

Thank you, Jar!

Here are the two pens:

Thank you, Jar!

It's most likely a surface tension issue with the converter. Switch to one of the Sheaffer cartridges and see if the issue goes away.

Good point, I will try a cartridge. Thank you!

If surface tension is the problem, how do I fix the issue? I was thinking of putting a tiny bead, which is present in many cartridges, into the Sheaffer converter, but the converter is very difficult or impossible to disassemble without damage.

Edited by s_t_e_v_e