The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Sheaffer Deluxe Calligraphy Set

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 domino

domino

Spirit of the Haku River

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 16:26

Hi all, being this my first review and calligraphy attempt, here it goes...

I was in the spending mood and while strolling at Barnes & Noble, saw several calligraphy sets. This little number
caught my eye and bought it along with some material on calligraphy.

First Impressions
One of the things that I've concerns about is presentation and ease of use. This set comes in a tin can
with form fitting inlays. Included in the kit are 3 pen bodies with caps, 3 pen nibs a converter, 6
cartridges of ink in several colors and a book on general calligraphy. The can is kind of nice and helps
to store in a neat safe manner.

Appearance
One of the things that attracted me to this set is the smart appearance of the packaging. Everything is
laid out and easily accessible. The pens are labeled on the cap as F, M and B with millimeter numbering.
What is not easily seen is the color of the ink being used unless you open the pen and look.

Design
I like the design being that it resemble a quill pen. This does not mean that it is. The finishing of the pen is in shinny black
sort of plastic. I can't tell which type without a chemistry lab. It is a heavy enough pen but not too heavy with a
comfortable body width. The nib appears to be stainless steel and the body of the pen has a metal silver colored ring.
The cap gives a solid click and is thoroughly sealed (no leaks). There is no clip.

Nib
This is what I really like, The feed mechanism is the same as a regular fountain pen, with the ink holding ribs
with the exception of the nib being for calligraphy. The nib unit has a soft rubber part that helps to hold the pen
with ease and without slipping.

Filling System
The filling system is via cartridges, In assuming all Sheaffer cartridges will fit, or via a converter. This is really nice since
now you can use your favorite pen ink from a bottle. Ink flow is guaranteed so long as there is ink.

Cost and Value
This pens sells for around $35 US. A more thorough search online may yield a better price. I bought it using my wife's
25% teacher discount. That brought it down to $26 US. Not bad.

Conclusion
I bought this with the intention to learn calligraphy. I also think that learning on bad equipment only discourages the
student. This is a fair set for the value and for learning. The pen looks good and feels good. Ink flow is adequate, although
a bit wet. That's OK since calligraphy letters need to look full. There is another Deluxe set that uses a more conventional
looking pen and on this one you can see through the barrel the ink color. I'm sure there are better and worst sets than this one,
however, this is a nice one to get started on.

Chihiro- How did you know my name was Chihiro?
Haku- I have known you since you were very small.

Sponsored Content

#2 jd50ae

jd50ae

http://www.chaeyahne.net

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,400 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 May 2007 - 17:09

You really can't beat the price. I have been using the more "conventional" set for a couple of years and I am very impressed with how well they work.

#3 Maja

Maja

Fan of colourful pens

• FPN Hon. Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,430 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 May 2007 - 08:05

Thanks very much for the review, domino! smile.gif
I've noticed how some pen companies are trying to draw people back into the fountain pen world with calligraphy stuff. Many friends and acquaintances think that I *only* use my fountain pens for calligraphy... huh.gif
Vancouver (B.C) Pen Club (our website)

#4 Shangas

Shangas

Sealing wax and other fancy stuff...

• Member - Gold

• 7,221 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 May 2007 - 09:44

I haven't seen a cartridge of Sheaffer Skrip in ages. Aaaaaah, brings back memories of my schooldays....
http://www.throughouthistory.com/ - My Blog on History & Antiques

#5 FrankB

FrankB

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• 7,345 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 09:57

Thanks for the review, domino.

I am interested in your reaction to the quality of the product on paper. I have some older Sheaffer calligraphy pens that I have used successfully for years and I have been happy with them. Christmas 2005 I bought several individual Sheaffer calligraphy pens as gifts. I broke one out of the blister pack just to try it and I was stunned and disappointed at the poor quality of the pen to paper experience. The nibs wrote like sloppy stubs rather than formal italic nibs, and the ink gushed out in torrents. I returned all the pens and gave restaurant gift certificates instead. I am curious if Sheaffer, or whoever owns the company today, has addressed that quality issue.

#6 domino

domino

Spirit of the Haku River

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 13:18

Thanks all, I've always liked calligraphy. I did try the set out on some calligraphy paper using
Noodlers Black. The amount of ink placed by the nib I would characterize as abundant. Some
would call it wet. It is a wet medium. I'm gonna get some real calligraphy paper soon. Maybe I'll
post a postmortem on pen performance.

I've been raking my poor little noodle as to what I should commit to paper. Sonnets have a draw
for me. Maybe I'll start writing Love poems to the ol'wifie. wub.gif She'll like that.

Frankb wrote: "I am interested in your reaction to the quality of the product on paper"

This is how I would measure the above.

Performance expectations: I would expect ink flow to be smooth and consistent. I would also
expect the ink to flow as wide as the nib width and not have any skips. Calligraphy being an
art requires more thought than just writing. It generally goes slow. This speed may characterize
the wet aspects of the performance.

Intrinsic Expectations: This is where the quality of the paper and type of ink used come into being.
I'm sure there's a type of paper out there for avery type of ink. I only have Noodlers Black, thus the
reason for picking this pen set. I do have some dip pen inks that I consider watery. The dip pens are
very scratchy and always seem to lay it heavy, thus massive bleed through the paper. I would not put
that ink in the pen set as components of it would clog the pens really bad. I would want a paper
that does not feather the ink or suck it out before a pen touches it. I would like it to sort of dry on top,
thus guaranteeing edge sharpness. Since I don't have other types of ink to compare to, I can't say
much other than the ink does behave as expected above.

Artistic Expectations: This is purely subjective. I would expect the pen to not hinder the creative
qualities of the writing. In fact, it should almost be invisible to the user.

Chihiro- How did you know my name was Chihiro?
Haku- I have known you since you were very small.

Sponsored Content

|