Montblanc 146 Vs 149 And Hand Fatigue

Behike54

So, after quite some time, I am starting to realize I am not reaching for certain pens as often as before. Many of these pens were as much about discovering what I enjoyed and how they suited my needs, or didn't.

Anyway, I am writing and journaling a lot as of late and none of the pens are calling my name. Trust me, this is not a question of an excuse to buy or writer's block, etc. The truth is that a few of these pens, while excellent, were just not for me, and that's FINE.

So, I am about to purchase my first MB. This will be a "writer," and will stay at home for a very specific purpose.

I am trying to narrow it down to size vs heft and fatigue.

Some things to consider:

1) I never post, I mean, NEVER. (aesthetically-speaking, it doesn't work for me, and in the end, I have yet to use a pen that is balanced in a way I enjoy posting)

2) Most of my pens feel light. I hope this makes sense.

3) I tend to write for 1.5 hours a day and on the weekends, that number could jump to 3 or more, usually at two sittings.

So, I am interested in some feedback regarding both models and hand fatigue (hopefully un-posted)

At the end of the day, I am looking for the smoothest writer that feels good in the end. I know that sounds so simple and what everybody wants, but I guess I mean when I'm home, free of distractions, and it's just me and my thoughts.

I thank you all in advance for your time, attention, and willingness to share your experience and expertise.

Best ~ Jack

Edited by Behike54

“My tastes are simple: I am easily satisfied with the best.” - Winston Churchill

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Behike54

• Ghost Plane

• torstar

• jar

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sounds like it would benefit you to spend some time at a MB Boutique! My personal preference is the MB 146 with fine nib.

If at all possible, stop at a boutique and try both pens, as people's preferences will be different.

I also never post my pens and, for me, the 146 is too lightweight and it doesn't feel comfortable in the hand. The 149, on the other hand, feels just perfect in terms of balance and size. But I like large fat pens with a bit of heft to it, so YMMV.

Good luck.

Fondle, fondle, fondle.

+1

Honestly... the only person who can tell you how good it feels in your hands is YOU...

I love big fat pens... so MB149 is perfect for me....... Haven't found the right MB149 for my budget, so I am still looking. But I have a MB146 and that one is ALSO perfect for my hands. It feels good and has a lovely wet BB nib that is to die for... :puddle: :puddle:

So... as Jar succinctly puts it... Fondle... fondle.... fondle.. ;)

C.

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

You may be able to benefit from a little exercise. I did, though not for writing. My grip strength had atrophied.

I found this el-cheapo machine working muscles deep into my palm as well as the fingers.

I write with heavy sterling pens. My ideas wear out before my hands do. Interestingly, I found that I have large differentials among fingers in strength. I also think it improved my coordination by forcing my fingers to act more independently, as in the picture. That hand model is going to get a powerful middle-finger if he keeps it up.

post-107799-0-33086700-1472500243_thumb.jpg

i have a very large hand and the 146 unposted doesn't reach past the webbing between my thumb and index finger, a must for me to not jab me there.

A 149 allows me to grip it lightly at the back of the firmly posted cap and write the same as if I'm gripping it up by the nib, a few others on here have told me that's their favourite way to write with a 149.

My tip about the 146 is a regret in purchasing it because most of my MB Limited Editions were 146s and I don't play with the plain old one much anymore.

And noted a few times, go and try it out...

Edited by torstar

I love my 149s but personally if I'm going to do serious writing I would definitely go for the 146. The 149 is fun to write with for notes, ideas, lists etc. If it's an essay or a paper, I wouldn't reach for it.

I love my 149's. My 146's never got as much writing time because the 149 feels right in my hand. Too bad I sold the wrong one of the two 149's I had.

I want to thank everybody who has shared their advice and experience.

Truth be told, I no longer live in a "real city."

Like most others, I have one option, a jewelry store that doesn't even carry 149 and get this....will only let you handle ballpoints and rollerballs, I kid you not.

My Sailor pen, which has a superb nib, just sits there, mocking me, almost daring me it's going to fly away.

My Lamy 2000, which is "Binderized," and a dream....sits there.

My TWSBI 580 AL is alright, at best, but it still feels, just a bit not right.

Pens that I have PIFed or gifted to my nieces (Pilot 78g, Safaris, and an Al-Star), all just feel meh.

This is going to really make you laugh, trust me.

The only pen that I really felt was "in the right area, even a little bit," was the Jinhao159 with a medium nib from another manufacturer.

YIKES!

So, in the end, that was why I was considering a 149. because, like @Lam1, bigger pens just feel right. (Now I know, ugh!)

@Michigan....cool, thanks for sharing!

I was considering buying a solid used 149 that may be less than pristine aesthetically, but was a good writer, with the understanding that if it didn't work, I would buy a 146 from them. But I realize that might be pie-in-the-sky thinking. I dunno.

“My tastes are simple: I am easily satisfied with the best.” - Winston Churchill

You may be able to benefit from a little exercise. I did, though not for writing. My grip strength had atrophied.

I found this el-cheapo machine working muscles deep into my palm as well as the fingers.

I write with heavy sterling pens. My ideas wear out before my hands do. Interestingly, I found that I have large differentials among fingers in strength. I also think it improved my coordination by forcing my fingers to act more independently, as in the picture. That hand model is going to get a powerful middle-finger if he keeps it up.

Interesting, my have finger strength varies as well. Oy!

Edited by Behike54

I find the 149 to be much more comfortable for extended use compared to my Sailor 1911L (approximately the same as the 146). I have the 1911L 'Black Luster' and had expected it to be a daily companion, really doing the majority of writing at work. Ultimately I found it a little too skinny and short for anything but quick notes.

I also prefer to write with pens open, unposted. In that sense, even the 149 isn't always ideal but the girth tends to compensate. I'd say the Omas Paragon (latest version) and Visconti Homo Sapiens (maxi) are a little more comfortable for me, since they're both a touch longer than the 149 unposted. But all three have lasted through pages and pages of writing without detracting from the experience or paining my hands.

I use larger pens on occasion - I.e. Delta Dolce Vita oversize. But for Montblanc my hand identified the 146 as the sweet spot in size. The wife has a 149 but I never use it. My 1980's 146 EF is now an old friend. I was lucky to get it right the first purchase.

"how do I know what I think until I write it down?"

I have large hands, and love my 149s, but find after extended periods my hand does ache more than when using a 146 or M800. I recently picked up a Boheme Big Size and that is lovely unposted, with a springy nib, somewhere in between the 146 and 149, but as they are no longer made could be hard to find.

The 146 is the basis for many of the special editions, if I was buying one new I would seriously look at the Strauss donation pen.

The 146 is the basis for many of the special editions, if I was buying one new I would seriously look at the Strauss donation pen.

~ I strongly agree with dubhe.

The Strauss donation pen is elegant, comfortable in my large hand, writes very well.

Tom K.

Ended up selling my 146s and focusing on 149s as the 146 caused hand cramps after a few hours. They're simply to short and narrow for my back of the section stance. I can get 8 hours or more from the 149s without cramping. My hands are relatively small for a woman, so preferences for fat, long pens have nothing to do with hand size.

There's nothing wrong with investing in used pens as users. I've gotten my best nibs that way.

I find all pen sizes have its uses.

Broad nibbed pens for italic, black letter, unical etc... A light pen with small (12mm) to medium (13mm) girth is perfect.

For flex pen, it is preferred to have a medium to large girth (13mm+) for comfort. Putting pressure requires a nice grip on the pen.

I am wholesome, I guess.

Ended up selling my 146s and focusing on 149s as the 146 caused hand cramps after a few hours. They're simply to short and narrow for my back of the section stance. I can get 8 hours or more from the 149s without cramping. My hands are relatively small for a woman, so preferences for fat, long pens have nothing to do with hand size.

There's nothing wrong with investing in used pens as users. I've gotten my best nibs that way.

A shorter pen, like an unposted 146, jabs into the webbing between my thumb and index finger, so long pens and hand size matter to me.

Sounds like it would benefit you to spend some time at a MB Boutique! My personal preference is the MB 146 with fine nib.

Me too...146 with fine nib for long writing periods, and even travel.