My Original Montblanc 149 — Background And Age Estimation

Tom Kellie

My Original Montblanc 149 — Background and Age Estimation

~ After reading through the entire thread begun by DKbRS titled “Dating Montblanc 149s” I was deeply impressed by the careful thought which he, Barry Gabay and others gave to developing an approach to estimating the dates of 149s. Their resulting graph is both comprehensive and practical, enabling a novice like yours truly to easily follow and understand.

A comment in the thread by jar made a strong impression on me: “Gifts are Beyond Price”. His wise thought especially resonated with me because my original introduction to Montblanc was through the receipt of a gift.

Around 1987 or 1988 a friend was supplementing his junior high school teacher salary by working part-time in a men’s clothing store in a relatively small community in farthest northwest California. The store offered men’s suits, shoes, neckties, belts, wallets and such, with nail clippers, straight-edge razors and fountain pens on offer. I had no direct acquaintance with the store beyond my friend’s conversational tidbits about his work.

At that time I hadn’t thought of fountain pens in nearly two decades, since briefly using them in my teenage years for school assignments. I’d certainly never heard of Montblanc, although my dad had both Sheaffer and Parker fountain pens in his desk, which were inked with dark blue ink of unknown provenance.

Late one afternoon without any lead-up my friend presented me with a small cream box, saying that it was a gift to express his appreciation, as I was in the process of relocating for career reasons. When I opened the box there was a large black pen with a white star on the cap. After uncapping the pen and glancing at the large nib, I mumbled thanks to my friend for such an unexpected gift.

The boxed pen remained uninked for weeks as I was caught up in moving and employment change. I had no sense whatsoever of the value of the gift, let alone of the reputation of the Montblanc brand. Any information about the model or the nib size was wholly unknown to me. Uncertain as to what to do about inking it, I tucked the presentation case into a storage box as a keepsake of past friendship, gradually forgetting its existence.

Decades passed with my career taking me far beyond the shores of North America. The digital age arrived bringing global network connectivity. Once a high-volume writer of personal letters and postcards, my postage stamp purchases dwindled down to nothing. Somehow I felt uneasy about the diminishing personal touch in communication, fondly remembering afternoons or evenings devoted to expressing thoughts and feelings on paper.

No matter where I moved, the presentation box with the large black pen went with me, as a tangible reminder of a happy time in my life. Nevertheless it never once occured to me that the pen would ever be of practical value, it being little more than a tchotchke of sentimental value, but nothing more. Years went by without the presentation box ever being looked at or the pen seen. In a sense I thought of it as an impractical dust-catcher minus any dust as I had no inkling what it was.

One evening in 2011 I was reorganizing my desk in my Beijing apartment. Looking through storage drawers filled with documents, blank paper, ball-point pens, markers and office paraphernalia, I came across the decades-old cream presentation box, forgotten in a back corner. Smiling, I mused on how it had traveled with me to many farflung locations but had never been of any use. Opening it, I took out the pen and looked at it. As had never previously been the case, something about the pen’s white star seemed familiar yet no specific association came to mind.

A bright desk lamp facilitated a close inspection of the pen, which I’d never done before. I was surprised to read words on the cap which were transcribed with a ball-point pen in order to look them up in a search engine. Within minutes I first read a general overview of Montblanc, discovering that there was a boutique in Beijing. The laudatory comments on-line about Montblanc motivated me to take subway line #1 to the Oriental Plaza Montblanc boutique in Wangfujing Street. I also read that counterfeit Montblanc pens were widespread, which prompted me to conjecture that what I owned was most likely a fake, as I couldn’t imagine having ever received a gift of substantial value.

When an English-speaking sales staff member asked how they might help, I pulled out the scuffed presentation box and asked if the fountain pen was one of theirs and, if so, would it be possible to purchase ink. Several staff members scrutinized the pen informing me that it was indeed a genuine 149 Meisterstück. The price of ink on offer exceeded what was in my wallet so the staff offered to ‘unofficially’ give me two bottles of outdated ink. I left the boutique with the pen finally identified, two bottles of blue ink and without having spent anything beyond the modest round-trip subway fare.

The name 149 meant nothing at all to me. They made no comment about the nib size and I didn’t know enough to have asked. At my desk I sought to draw ink into the pen but nothing happened. I tried again with the same lack of result. Losing enthusiasm, I thought that it might be broken or that it required a high degree of expertise to use. Accordingly, I put it away uninked.

In 2012 I spotted a reference to Montblanc on the Internet, with the familiar star emblem. Remembering the pen and two bottles of ink, I pulled them out and decided to renew my effort to write with it. Once again, no ink drew up when I turned the piston. This time I went to the Internet to seek guidance about difficulties in inking a fountain pen. I read that in certain cases long-dried plugs of ink interfered with ordinary functions.

It was recommended to soak a fountain pen in water and wait. This I did, waiting for over ten minutes. Suddenly a dark blue cloud exploded into existence in the clear water. Feeling that progress had at last been made, I carefully followed the cleaning regimen I’d read. After drying the pen I opened one of the ink bottles and turned the piston.

It worked! With joy, I nervously put the nib onto paper, writing my first-ever stroke with a Montblanc fountain pen. After a quarter of a century, the gift I’d received was at long last functional.

In the years since, I’ve purchased from Beijing Montblanc boutiques 11 fountain pens, two ballpoint pens, 18 bottles of ink, a Starwalker Extreme ScreenWriter, two belts, a wallet and a large briefcase. I’ve also bought two vintage 3-42 G semi-flex fountain pens.

As the various pens I’ve purchased and enjoyed using have taken up all of my thoughts, I never wondered about the original 149. After using nibs of various sizes, it seemed that the first 149 was an M nib, which writes smoothly with every use. That was good enough for me.

The “Dating Montblanc 149s” thread educated me at a basic level about the features used to assess approximate age of a 149. I’d never given any thought to such diagnostic features as 2-section barrels, narrow shoulders, plastic threads, split ebonite feeds, ‘Germany’ on the cap ring or the style of the umlaut over the ‘ü’ in ‘Meisterstück’ on the cap. As it happens, all of those turn out to be relevant to dating my original “gift 149”.

The M 149 sits on my desk, rather than in the presentation box. After reading “Dating Montblanc 149s” I pulled the box out of storage, finding a one year guarantee card and trouble-shooting tips, both of which are dated 2/87.

Comparing the evidence from the pen itself and the presentation box with the 149 feature chronological graph from “Dating Montblanc 149s”, it may be that the pen is a mid- to late- 1980s 149 sold in the American market. It was probably pre-owned when I received it.

To date I’ve only inked it from the two gratis ink bottles given by the boutique during my initial visit. There’s never been any issue, but I realize that it might be time to shift to current inks.

If I’ve overlooked the obvious and made gross misjudgments it would be another step in my gradual education about Montblanc fountain pens.

For anyone interested I’ll post photographs of salient features of the pen, as well as the presentation box, its contents, and the two original ink bottles.

All of my association with Montblanc has been more than satisfactory. Reading FPN posts in the Montblanc brand section is consistently enjoyable.

I hope that this post may be of interest.

Tom K.

fpn_1472483031__2-section_barrel_with_m_

2-Section Barrel with an M Nib

fpn_1472483446__narrow_shoulders.jpg

Narrow Shoulders

fpn_1472483680__plastic_threads.jpg

Plastic Threads

fpn_1472484368__split_ebonite_feed.jpg

Split Ebonite Feed

fpn_1472484611__germany.jpg

Germany

fpn_1472485192__umlaut.jpg

Umlaut

fpn_1472485312__presentation_box.jpg

Presentation Box

fpn_1472485455__box_interior.jpg

Box Interior

fpn_1472485597__pen_in_the_box.jpg

Pen in the Box

fpn_1472485868__outer_guarantee_card.jpg

Outer Guarantee Card

fpn_1472486027__one_year_guarantee.jpg

One Year Guarantee

fpn_1472486200__trouble-shooting_tips.jp

Trouble-shooting Tips

fpn_1472486338__more_tips.jpg

More Tips

fpn_1472486500__ink_bottles.jpg

Ink Bottles

fpn_1472486703__ink_with_box.jpg

Ink with Box

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tom Kellie

• thygreyt

• Behike54

• SL_BRABUS

The pen, box, paperwork are all period correct for a mid to late 80s pen. Nice pen, nice friend, nice story. I hope your friend sees it.

My Website

~ thygreyt:

Yes!

Looking back, it was such an extraordinary gift, given our respective youth and modest financial circumstances.

He presented it in such an offhand way that I clumsily missed the magnitude of the occasion.

Happily, fortune has smiled on his subsequent life.

He never expected at the time that it would someday spark a strong interest in Montblanc products.

Tom K.

Thanks so much for sharing.

A lovely example there is a time for everything, usually when we are ready to appreciate and understand certain things.

Very nice, indeed.

Best ~ Jack

“My tastes are simple: I am easily satisfied with the best.” - Winston Churchill

Thank you for the fascinating story! In fact I also received a Montblanc 149 as a gift around 1985, not knowing the slightest bit about what it was. Unfortunately it did not stay with me until the present day. The nib was broad and round. And it had a black presentation box.

Great Story! Thank you for the pictures.

Time to send that friend a letter.

~ fromthecrowd and sd10521:

Thank you very much for your comments.

It's reassuring to know that I wasn't alone in receiving a Montblanc 149 without grasping what it was.

Although the story is one sense completed, every time that I pick up the pen I recall the friend's original gift.

It's a “gift which keeps on giving”.

Tom K.

Thank you so much for your wonderful story!

When I bought my first Montblanc at age 17, I knew nothing whatever about the brand. But I saw a 149 in a store window, and knew I had to have it. It cost all of $37. I still have it, and I love to think of its history.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

Thank you so much for your wonderful story!

When I bought my first Montblanc at age 17, I knew nothing whatever about the brand. But I saw a 149 in a store window, and knew I had to have it. It cost all of $37. I still have it, and I love to think of its history.

~ jmccarty3:

Wow! That's a great beginning!

At age 17 in 1971 yours truly entered university without enough sense to use fountain pens, let alone recognize the innate elegance of a Montblanc 149.

At USD $37 you made an astute deal, not only gaining a superb writing instrument, but launching a lifelong appreciation of the finer aspects of life.

Thank you so much for telling this. It's especially pleasant to have a “first Montblanc” with a history.

Tom K.

~ fromthecrowd and sd10521:

Thank you very much for your comments.

It's reassuring to know that I wasn't alone in receiving a Montblanc 149 without grasping what it was.

Although the story is one sense completed, every time that I pick up the pen I recall the friend's original gift.

It's a gift which keeps on giving.

Tom K.

Lol. This post made me giggle.

Let me share my origins too.

My first fountain pen was a gift. Mli had just finished graduating from engineering with two specialties. I've always loved writing (strange for an engineer... Which is why everyone knows!)

Anyhow, as a present my godfather gave me a box and told me to open it later.

Since I had just graduated months went by and the box was still on the wrapper. 6 months had passed, life was getting hectic and my godfather was going to visit fr a few days... So I thought you better open his gift in order to properly thank him.

It was a 149 that was previously his. From the 70s, it's ebonite feed, 14c nib bi color.

Once I knew what it was I was amazed. He told me a professional needed professional instruments.

This is why your story is so appealing to me. Thank you for sharing, this things are always great reads!

~ thygreyt:

From the posts in this thread, including your story above, it seems that a number of FPN members first became acquainted with Montblanc fountain pens either through receiving them or seeing them on sale in their early life.

Your generous godfather was so right — professional careers do indeed merit professional instruments.

The university students in the classes I teach become accustomed to seeing Montblanc fountain pens on my desk.

From time-to-time it's discreetly mentioned that they mean more to me in my work than the well-equipped iMac on my desk or the MacBook Pro.

As all written assignments and research manuscripts are revised in ink, they recognize my fountain pen marks as somehow being part of their university life.

I've explained that in the field in Africa, the Montblanc pens I use reliably jot down notes in all temperatures.

Thank you so much for the wonderful story! It's further evidence that Montblanc fountain pens have the potential to be “gifts which keep on giving”.

Tom K.

• 11 months later...

Thanks for sharing this great story, Tom K.

http://www.ALuckyLifeBook.com

http://www.bobsoltys.com

An Easterner had a nervous breakdown. Wyoming, with its wide open spaces and healthy pursuits, was prescribed as a cure - Clive Sinclair (paraphr).

I've got a lot of fond memories of that dog. - Indiana Jones in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

That is a lovely, heart-warming story, Tom. Fortunately personal values evolve as we age and (theoretically) gain wisdom. It may be that not really being made aware, at the time, of the value (in this instance value = 'price tag') of the pen was fortunate. I know that in my 'younger' years I might just have thought 'Great! An expensive pen! Wow!' ... or words to that effect, and once labelled as such it may always have been tagged as such, just an expensive possession that someone once gifted me. Only with the passing of time and the discovery of what it actually was, the first real value you then associated to the gesture was far more significant, far more than merely $$$.

Edited by chunya

Thanks for bumping this thread - a great story. Time to figure out when my nephews will be ready to receive such things or if they would only want a MB app...

Alan