The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Help To Id Pen In 1939 Photo

id

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 bizhe

bizhe

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 12:30

This is a photograph of Arthur Waley, a translator of Chinese and Japanese texts, dated to 1939. Can anyone identify the right-hand pen in his pocket?

Thanks!

Attached Images

• waley.jpg

Sponsored Content

#2 Ernst Bitterman

Ernst Bitterman

Nil Magnum Nisi Bonum

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,044 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 August 2016 - 21:47

There's something about the shape of it that makes me think of German pens of the '30s, but I can't find a precise match for it in images of known contemporary German pens.  The closest I could find was this Danish-made Montblanc, but that doesn't mean Mr. Waley is indeed a Montblanc owner-- I've got some ten-cent US pens that you'd take for a Sheaffer Balance in a photo like that.

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg

#3 bizhe

bizhe

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 31 August 2016 - 03:02

Thank you. I was thinking along the lines of Pelikan 100, but this sheds some interesting light.

Unfortunately I do not have a higher resolution photo.

It looks like the clip starts below the clip ring.

Any other clues?

#4 Dickkooty2

Dickkooty2

That Dick in Hood River

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,474 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 August 2016 - 03:27

This is just pure speculation. I don't mean to suggest that I know anything (and many would say a hearty 'amen'). But here is a thought:

Suppose it is not a pen? If the left-hand writing instrument is a pen and the cap certainly looks like a pen cap of the Big Red type, the unknown instrument on the right might be a pencil.

A lot of pencil tops looked like this in the 30's. I have a number of FENDS that bear a resemblance

usus_multipencil_2_zpsetld0cvm.jpg

This is a German  USUS of the period. In this case, it as a four-color grip=type lead holder and was probably made for them by FEND.

I also point out the startling resemblance of Haley, the noted translator of classical Chinese and Japanese poetry, to Basil Rathbone, noted stage and screen actor.

tumblr_static___kgrhqr__oge9c080iq9bpy14

#5 Sandy Fry

Sandy Fry

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 462 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 August 2016 - 10:28

Dickkooty may be on to something. I found this little snippet:

"My earliest recollections of Arthur depict him against the background of Hill House, Wimbledon, after we had left London in 1896. . . I recall that on our arrival at Wimbledon, before our unpacking was complete, our nurse organised tea in the nursery and could find no spoons. Arthur saved the situation by producing a pencil from his pocket and suggesting we might stir our tea with it. Our nurse exclaimed, Why, Master Arthur carries a pencil everywhere - I expect he'll be a great author some day!"

David

For so long as one hundred men remain alive,we shall never under any conditions submit to the
domination of the English. It is not for glory or riches or honours that we fight, but only for liberty, which
no good man will consent to lose but with his life.

#6 peterg

peterg

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,065 posts

Posted 31 August 2016 - 13:03

The left hand item is a clutch pencil. I have no idea what the right hand item is.

#7 zwack

zwack

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 September 2016 - 03:28

Maybe a celluloid montblanc... I don't know but look at this one...

https://chatterleylu...l-fountain-pen/

Right time period, black cap above the clip, lighter colour below...

This is just guesswork.

#8 Dickkooty2

Dickkooty2

That Dick in Hood River

• Member - Gold

• 1,474 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 September 2016 - 04:16

No! Your other right! As our platoon sgt used to say ...

I am looking at the pens in the pocket and reading the left to right view (head-on) as right to- left ... how the sitter would be sitting down and facing the camera. 

At any rate, i think the differences are pretty obvious: A big pen with a major top and a pencil with a lot of stuff going on.

#9 bizhe

bizhe

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 01 September 2016 - 04:52

Sorry, by right-hand, I was referring to the pen. The pencil also shows to be more interesting than I expected.

And thanks Sandy Fry for digging up that quote.

Edited by bizhe, 01 September 2016 - 04:54.

#10 hankjgg

hankjgg

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 September 2016 - 04:17

finial looks like it could be a Pelikan, clip looks correct for a Pelikan as well.

pelikan.png

#11 zwack

zwack

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 September 2016 - 16:26

There are some Pelikans of that period with a dark finial and lighter cap below the clip band. The Pelikan finial looks a bit long to me (but the montblamc too short).

Given that we are looking at a 1" or so length of pen in a tiny detail in a black and white photo, I think we will be unlikely to get much closer than any of these guesses.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: id

Sponsored Content

|