Aurora 88P Serial Reference?�

IanLWTerry

Hey everyone! I am a complete noobie to the forum, and just entering into the whole pen collecting hobby. I have always had a profound appreciation for writing tools, and have started doing some research into buying my first pen. I have heard esterbrooks are great for starters, but I always like to step it up a notch, and found a Aurora 88P for sale, The serial is 3000000+, any idea on the age? It looks to be in mint condition. Also, pricing-wise, what is a fair price for such a pen? I have seen them going for anywhere between $80-200 USD + shipping.

Thank you for all of your help! And yes I have read the guide here: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/111001-the-aurora-88-dynasty/

But could not make much sense of it in reference to these supposedly later models.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IanLWTerry

• jar

• stephanos

• Cryptos

Top Posters In This Topic

If you read the link pages carefully you can make some estimates.

The 88P started in 1958 and ended in 1964, so that's 6 years of production.

Now, depending on how you read the numbers given they either made (for 88Ps only):

1. 3.8 million - based on the assumption of single model sales
  2. 1.3 million - based on the assumption of aggregate sales of 88, 88K and 88P models.

As you have stated a serial number in excess of 3 million it would seem point #1 is more likely.

If you assume even sales across the whole of the production life then your high serial number pen would be from around 1962. Obviously I have no idea of what their sales curves were so I am taking the highly unlikely position of assuming it was flat.

Hope that helps some.

Bear in mind that there are also 88P pens that have no serial numbers. I have one of these, my only Aurora, and picked it up at random on the 'Bay for 50 or 60 Euros as I recall. In general the prices are little up on that, but an 88P is definitely worth it in my mind! :D

Thank you! Yes that does help! So basically, with a serial number, it is at the very oldest, from 1962?

The one I found is for sale for $100 usd, so I'm assuming that's a great price given euro exchange rate is basically double whatever usd is?

Thank you! Yes that does help! So basically, with a serial number, it is at the very oldest, from 1962?

The one I found is for sale for $100 usd, so I'm assuming that's a great price given euro exchange rate is basically double whatever usd is?

The USD and EUR are only about 10% different. One dollar today equals 0.89 euros. $100 today would equal 89 euros.

Oops I think I mean Gbp, not euro aka $80... Is that a good price?

The question to ask is whether there is a different pen at the same price that you want more? If not then the price is right.

Honestly I don't what I don't know at this point but I like the look of it, that it isn't too flashy etc. I would love to get a book with all the different pens and their history in it, much easier for me to have things in concise tangible form instead of gathering info all over the place. I know I usually favor a pen that's heavier, ie metal, and of medium girth (not sure if there's a technical term for that...)

I've always played with calligraphy, but with low quality pens, so would love to start collecting better quality ones 😀

• 2 weeks later...

If you're just starting out, go slow. It is very rare that something truly unique comes up for sale: no need to rush to buy. Unless you're quite wealthy, $100 is not small-change.

I'll make two comments.

First, on the old Auroras:

The old Auroras are generally really good pens. I have one relatively early model 88 and one Duocart. Both write beautifully, though the Duocart is a little ugly (which made it cheap). And the semi-hooded nib means you can leave them sitting uncapped for minutes at a time without any risk of drying out.

The only down-side is that the piston mechanism (at least on the earlier 88 models) can fall apart a little. That's what happened with mine, and it was a real hassle to patch it up (I haven't done a very good job, but at least it sucks up ink again and I can use it). I have it inked up right now.

Second, on your choice of pens:

If you are just starting out, I suggest you consider getting an inexpensive new pen rather than buying something that may or may not have problems and require maintenance, and also that you buy your first few pens from a reputable source (unless you're prepared to much about with your pens, which can be quite fun).

If you're considering spending up to $100 on one pen, why not get all of the following instead: a TWSBI Eco with two nibs, and a Faber Castell Loom. These are excellent pens, you can get three different writing experiences, and the TWSBI has the added bonus that you can take it apart. The Loom is metal and very sturdy, and the TWSBI is relatively chunky. And you'll probably have enough left over to throw in at least one inexpensive Chinese-made pen (Jinhao 159?).

You can always pick up a vintage Aurora later - and any number of inexpensive vintage pens with lovely nibs.