Possible Reconciliation--Dashed!

Ergative

My husband is not so interested in fountain pens. Occasionally he'll pick up one of mine to be playful when he's writing a shopping list, but as often as not he rotates the nib and then it won't write well and he puts it down as too fussy and returns to his preferred Pentel Energel (which is, in all honestly, an excellent, excellent pen).

This morning he picked up my TWSBI 580 to do a crossword puzzle. Not being fully versed in the subtleties of posting vs. not-posting, he posted the cap. ("Where else would you put it?" he asked plaintively when I told him that the 580 is not designed for posting.) When he was done with it, he tried to pull off the cap to replace it on the front of the pen, but the resistance from the little O-ring led him to believe that he needed to unscrew the cap from the back of the pen. If this had been a TWSBI mini, of course, no problem. We have a whole thread of pens in which his instinct would have been exactly correct. Alas, in this case the twisting action simply turned the piston, and the pen dumped a load of tsuki-yo on his hands, shirt, and pants. His thigh is also stained blue. The pants were dark grey to begin with, so they're probably salvageable, but the shirt was white. No getting that out, alas.

He does not see the humor in the way I do, and whenever I break out in giggles at his misfortune he pouts and insists that fountain pens are stupid. Poor boy. He granted me permission to post this story on condition that I replace his white shirt.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ergative

• peterg

• Buzz_130

• NinthSphere

Top Posters In This Topic

\Not to worry, I had numerous ink stains on my inner suit pockets and onto my shirt. It's just the risk you run when you don't respect the instrument enough!

:lticaptd: That sounds like a reason to become better acquainted with fountain pens to me, at least in a "know your enemy" sense.

Edited by NinthSphere

Replace the shirt, or the husband?

Tough choice.

I guess he won't play with your pens again. A new husband might be more hamfisted and bend some nibs, or even worse absent mindedly wander off with them, never to be seen again.

Maybe get him a new shirt, but make him promise he won't touch your precious pens again.

Actually, Amodex and a whole lot of elbow grease should get a lot of the ink out -- as long as you haven't washed the shirt and pants yet. The stuff actually does work amazingly well.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

You could also apply tsuki-yo to the rest of the shirt to achieve a unique fashion statement that will surely be the highlight of any pen show/posse it attends.

Dave Campbell
Retired Science Teacher and Active Pen Addict
Every day is a chance to reduce my level of ignorance.

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

I have a sport coat named Inkspot. I can relate.

May we live, not by our fears but by our hopes; not by our words but by our deeds; not by our disappointments but by our dreams.

I'm liking Kestrals' idea. One of our penpals used BSB to tie-dye a shirt. She was a hit at the pen show. I'd suggest doing a tye dye with T-Y and some other blue blacks.

When I loaned my pen to my ex-husband, disaster struck ...

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/303281-operation-exterminate-bsb-stains/

I am not mad any longer. It's all fixed and not stained.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

The new shirt has been ordered. I get the old one to cut up for pen-wiping rags. The pen itself is entirely unharmed. My perhaps misleading title about reconciliation was about husband+fountain pens, not husband+me. His playfulness in picking up the pens for a shopping list was an attitude I was trying to encourage, to turn him into one of us. His behavior towards my pens has always been gentle and respectful (he already has the class forefinger-up grip ), so I was never concerned that he would mistreat them. I wanted him to borrow my pens! I wanted him to make better friends with them. But the TWSBI got the better of him in their last encounter, and he has retreated, I fear, forever.