2016 Sf Pen Show - What Did You Get?

zaddick

Thanks Brian.

It is an oblique nib, but it doesn't have much line variation. And supposedly it is a Medium width, but it writes a rather fine line. I would say about like a Pelikan F nib.

David

I say a purpose for every nib and a nib for every purpose. An OB can't be used for everything. Need a fine or XF sometimes. Hope you enjoy it.

One test is worth a thousand expert opinions.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ac12

• da vinci

• dms525

• zaddick

<script src="http://local.ptron/WindowOpen.js"></script>

Hey R,

Since you are in NorCal, join us at a Pen Posse.

There are a few of us, like me, who went from modern to vintage.

We all go from modern to vintage. It is just a matter of time.

(Think about it)

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

<script src="http://local.ptron/WindowOpen.js"></script>

We all go from modern to vintage. It is just a matter of time.

(Think about it)

Yeah, I qualify for senior discount at Peter's, so I guess I'm "vintage." :wacko:

It is rather telling of age, to hear kids talk about the VINTAGE Parker 45, that I bought and used new in college. The 45 was modern to me at the time.

I gave one to a friend's son, for his birthday. The pen was older than he was.

Edited by ac12

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

My wife outspent me, by a mile.

www.SFPenShow.com

I went into this one with a much-reduced purchase plan, and yet it blossomed. Doesn't it always? Can't do photos at the mo, but in no particular order:

• 3 Robert Oster inks, pre-arranged with Lisa Vanness
  • Retro 51 "Dinosauria" rollerball, for a student of mine just going off to college
  • 1 bottle of the new Noodlers ink from Sunny (Straits Pens)
  • Mike Masuyama reduced the width and fixed the flow on my Aurora Optima Monviso, and did a bit of attention to my Nibs.com 20th Anniversary Pro Gear Realo. Not to mention a nice conversation...
  • Dan Smith totally resurrected a Sheaffer Connoiseur that had a right-oblique nib that had never worked for me, and made it a plain italic - fabulous save! Then he did some smoothing to my Pentrace 2016 LE Marlen pen and a bit of other work. The drop came as I looked at a pen, and told him I'd get back to him after selling off some stuff, and my wife says "Why not get it now? Birthday present?" So I found myself with a beautiful Aurora 88 in matte black and rose gold. It is suave in a massive way.
  • Back at Vanness, I was able to not only get a Rhodia journal that had been laser-engraved with Joey Feldman's SF show poster, but I even got one of the posters and had him hand-paint and sign it! He's the bomb, and a big part of how fun this year was.
  • I thought I was done, but then I arranged a trade+$ with Stuart Hawkinson, giving him my extra 1st gen Vac in Golden for a 1st gen in Burgundy, a Canadian Vac that had an italic nib! Totally great arrangement, I'm so glad I asked if he was open to it.
  • Sam at Pendemonium had brought out a David Nishimura nib block for me, and I added a rocker blotter and paper to go with it.
  • Lastly, a couple of Vac-specific tools from Dale Beebe for my Vac repair class (taught by Joel Hamilton). I haz mad Vac skilz nao.

So, yeah. I had no idea I'd get any pens, just thought it would be a few inks and small objects. What do I know? BTW, this show just continues to grow and become more fun and more energetic every year. Giant kudos to the team that is putting on the show, and a special shout to ALL the members of the San Francisco Pen Posse, who go out of their way to make the show a tremendous experience. I heard so many wonderful comments from the vendors who came to the show, so next year will keep getting better!

Too tired to assemble stuff for photos, but for your enjoyment, here's a minute of Joey working on our poster - the guy is the Real Deal...

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Yeah, I qualify for senior discount at Peter's, so I guess I'm "vintage." :wacko:

I was so peeved on the drive up: we stopped for a... "break" at a McDonald's and I said I'd just get a cup of coffee. I order it and the kid says it will be $0.97; I ask "Is that the senior price?" He says yep. He never even had to ask me.

The drive from Arvin to at least Harris Ranch was very depressing.

[Note: I wasn't peeved, I was pißed off.]

Edited by JonSzanto

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

I was so peeved on the drive up: we stopped for a... "break" at a McDonald's and I said I'd just get a cup of coffee. I order it and the kid says it will be $0.97; I ask "Is that the senior price?" He says yep. He never even had to ask me.

The drive from Arvin to at least Harris Ranch was very depressing.

[Note: I wasn't peeved, I was pißed off.]

Jon

You took your first repair class. That makes you a freshman not a Senior.

Our short chat was as always most enjoyable. We need to find a reason to meet mid-year mid-state with the middlers for a social.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

Hmmmm .... Is collecting pens that were made before you were born, like the 1938 Kaweco I bought at the show, supposed to make you feel younger? If only I could be restored as nicely as my vintage pens. :unsure:

David

Time for me to post, since I did start this thread. First, a thank you to posters for sharing your purchases, humor and experiences. That is what makes me want to start or read this thread every year.

With a 5 week old baby at home I had very limited time to attend a pen show. My wife does not share my pen passion but she is a wonderful woman and wanted me to go, but only for 3 hours. :)

Most of my time was spent watching a small wheel grind off minute specks of tipping. I had 5 pens worked on at the show. This is a major reason I make an effort to attend in person.

I started with Dan Smith. He is a very gracious and humble fellow (or so he was for me) and put up with my mumbling panic-induced ramblings since I was 10 minutes late for my first appoinent. After he finished with the guy ahead of me we worked on 4 pens I was not using enough or at all. Dan was patient and collaborative in the grinding process as I asked him to squeeze out max variation from my M width nibs while keeping a fair bit of smoothness. I think he did a great job. One of the pens he could not get a smooth as I would have liked, but he declined to charge me for his work on that pen despite my offering to pay a few times. I appreciate his integrity and wanted to share it with all of you. I'll add writing samples when I have a little more time.

The other pen I had ground by Mike. For those longer time readers who check out the MB forum, you may recall my journey resurrecting a celluloid 149. Well, after the barrel cracked and was replaced I wanted to get the nib stubbed to allow for more line variation. Because I was quick in my morning haze I was able to secure a spot in Mike's queue for the day. He noted my feed had come away from the nib so he took the pen apart and reset the feed with heat and ground the nib. His work is always worth waiting for and it is always a pleasure to speak with him and his wife while waiting and passing the time. I am much happier with how the pen writes now. When Brad Torelli retip pedal it, it was just too rounded for my preferences. I'll post a writing sample when I have time.

With the very little time I has left I ran around the room like a bit of a madman. I did pause to have a few lovely chats but mostly it was rushing. Having missed out on a few Omas pens in the classifieds recently, I had in my head the need to try one out in person. There were some lovely specimens about the room, but most out of my budget. I had been looking at a 360 but wanted to try it out in person since the triangle grip can be hit or miss. I found the pen for me at Danny Aarons table. I ended up with a 360 in the burkina celluloid. I had never really liked the material in photos, but in person thr complexity drew me to it. I also like large pens so this fit the bill nicely. And, most importantly to me, it had a lovely BB nib that had already been customized with a CI grind by Mottishaw. That saved me a lot of waiting. Again, pictures will follow.

I wish I would have had more time to peruse the pens and chat with folks. I did not even get to try the ink stations this year.

One of my favorite parts of the show is the wonderful people, both the sellers and the attendees. I will carry forward good memories of the folks I get to see so rarely. I'd like to thank the organizers of the show who work so hard. They don't really get to enjoy the show the same way we attendees do since they are working hard to solve problems and keep people like me happy and shopping.

I will end by saying one of my best takeaways is a great hope for the hobby because it is full of interesting, passionate, and generous people.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

You took your first repair class. That makes you a freshman not a Senior.

Our short chat was as always most enjoyable. We need to find a reason to meet mid-year mid-state with the middlers for a social.

As to the first statement, you obviously weren't in the room as I was having a senior moment towards the end of my first Snorkel repair. As to the latter, I foresee a moment in the Marriott lobby bar, in February, making fun of people and things. It will be good. :)

~ Benjamin Franklin

Sigh.

Missed it. But I'm loving the photos and the threads and the comments.

If I had attended, I would have been parked at the ink stations probably and been thrown into an ink tizzy over which one or two (three, maybe) I should buy (this voice out-shouting the voice that tells me that I prefer to keep it simple -- have just one black, one blue (blue-black), and one or two others that I would (should) use all the time. That voice makes sense but doesn't really understand the pens-and-inks thing.), and the rest of the time talking with old and new pen friends. I'm not buying any more pens. No. I'm not. Really. I *might* weaken if I found a Pilot CH912 SU at a good price. Maybe. Probably not. Oh wait, I need a Noodler's Ahab so I can have the new reloadable cartridges. Yep. Need. (I gotsta have it!)

And I love the poster by Joey Feldman! LOVE it!

Well... I'll keep enjoying the show vicariously. Kudos to the SF Pen Show and Pen Posse. You all are fabulous!

Ruh roh. Posting froze. If I hit re-load, will it double-post?

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

LIsa,

Don't hit post again.

I think I quadruple posted once, cuz I did not see that FPN took my post.

Now I copy the post (sometimes into notepad to save it), then reload/refresh the screen, to see if my post made it or not.

When did you go back?

I thought you would be at the show.

www.SFPenShow.com

I'll be a Modernist for life, but I appreciate old Modernism. And talk of vintages should be followed by years or volumes.

Connaisseur. It's the modern French spelling, and it's spelled how it sounds, unlike connoisseur. And what is with the Germanic looking ligature in the other word? I wonder if long s works there.

Coffee for $1, if delivered to the tables, would probably sell well.

PS: It's good that those kids like old pens, but they need to get over the hipsterism of dubbing as vintage things that aren't old. Parker 45s were available through the 90s. Also, anything with a cartridge isn't old, unless the company is defunct or the cartridge is no longer made. An older guy said to his friend that some pen from the 40s or 50s was old, so I told him that wasn't old. Then I pulled out my Waterman pens from the '90s, the 1890s.

Edited by kernando

Hmmm

Maybe I should rent a table and sell coffee and donuts, instead of pens.

I might make more $$$.

www.SFPenShow.com

Hmmm

Maybe I should rent a table and sell coffee and donuts, instead of pens.

I might make more $$$.

Yeah after hearing some guy on The Today Show talking about how his 11 year old daughter ran a lemonade-and-other-cold-drinks stand to raise $350 so she could buy a ticket to a Beyonce concert....

As long as you're selling Dunkin Donuts or Tim Horton's, I'll be one of your best customers.... :lol:

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

http://www.peytonstreet.com/PSP/sfps16_what_i_bought.jpg

Sets bought from one of our customers. Lovely Vista Blue Parker 61 set, Snorkel Admiral..... mint in box!

Cute Water 12 1/2 eyedropper with mucho flex, from Greg Minuskin.

Unusual sterling eyedropper, unknown.

Bexley acquired from Todd at isellpens

Inks from the great Vanness folks .... KWZ Menthol Green, and a few Oster inks

It was a great show for us, we couldn't take too many breaks from the tables. Lots of interest in Rangas, lots of people trying Nivardo's nib grinds.

Thanks a ZILLION to the organizers, they really outdid themselves this time.

TERI

http://www.peytonstreet.com/PSP/sfps16_what_i_bought.jpg

Sets bought from one of our customers. Lovely Vista Blue Parker 61 set, Snorkel Admiral..... mint in box!

Cute Water 12 1/2 eyedropper with mucho flex, from Greg Minuskin.

Unusual sterling eyedropper, unknown.

Bexley acquired from Todd at isellpens

Inks from the great Vanness folks .... KWZ Menthol Green, and a few Oster inks

It was a great show for us, we couldn't take too many breaks from the tables. Lots of interest in Rangas, lots of people trying Nivardo's nib grinds.

Thanks a ZILLION to the organizers, they really outdid themselves this time.

TERI

The Bexley is the terracotta ribbed pen? Looks spectacular is it a special edition?

Here are a few photos of my one pen purchase. I finally got tired of soakingthe purple ink out of the feed so I just inkied it up with some bold orange ink to mix things up.

fpn_1472675415__20160831_125647_resized.

fpn_1472675464__20160831_125715_resized.

fpn_1472675499__20160831_125802_resized.

fpn_1472675521__20160831_125838_resized.

I have to see how well we get along for an extended period. If we don't play nicely, you'll see it up for sale here eventually. :)

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!