I Need Help Re-Learning My Cursive Writing!

UncleRJ

First of all, my apologies to the Admins and Mods if I am posting in the wrong area so please move if I am doing so!

To bare my soul, my handwriting STINKS to high heaven.

After years and years of signing my signature to contracts, it has devolved to the point where doctors make fun of my handwriting.

Please keep in mind while I ask you for help, I am not a PC literate type.

I can participate in forums and use Email but not much else.

Actually kind of proud of that when I think what others use them for.

Keeping in mind all of the above, what I am looking for is different styles of cursive writing script and once I choose one, I want to print out a sheet or even multiple sheets of examples of how to form the letters.

Most likely in landscape mode (I at least know that much).

Also kinda sorta looking for something "Old Fashioned" if you get my drift but still readable.

Both Upper and lower case letters please!

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

Edited by UncleRJ

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• UncleRJ

• Sailor Kenshin

• zwack

• linearM

It might help to know where you are at now. Can you give us an image of your current cursive handwriting?

I started with the Palmer Method and you could go to www.palmermethod.com or another source for writing styles is: http://www.iampeth.com/lessons. I said started because my handwriting now has elements of Palmer and but I've incorporated elements of other styles. I like the lower case Palmer letters but don't especially care for the upper case letters. You may find the same thing happening as you work on your cursive handwriting. My main piece of advice is after you've found a style you want to emulate.....Practice!

Also, check out the Handwriting Improvement Forum here on FPN. You may find lots of help there.

Edited by linearM

I'm in line with linear -- Practice. Write slowly and concentrate on forming each character. Improvement will be slow, but it will come.

Thanks so very much to the both of you!

Like I said, I am not a very PC/computer literate guy but I just may be able to further embarrass myself and write something,scan and attach it so you can take a first hand look at the sheer horror that is my handwriting.

Also, I have my heart set on DRASTICALLY improving my handwriting.

And I am more than willing to dedicate myself and practice, practice, PRACTICE until I get it right!

Hopefully, I can put something together and put it up tomorrow for you to look at.

But remember, you asked to see it!

I was in a similar situation a few year ago.

I was so disgusted with my handwriting that I spent the effort to fix it.

I did writing practice, EVERY DAY, for at least and hour, and sometimes up to 3 hours.

After 3 months, it was kinda OK, decent took another 3 months.

The drills will get boring, but they are important to developing new muscle memory, and to teach you the letter forms.

Then WRITE. I wrote a daily journal, of anything and everything. I think I finished a 100 page notebook, both sides, in 3 weeks. I now have a STACK of filled notebooks.

A trick I used is to write large. I use WIDE ruled paper and a F or EF nib, so that I can see my letter form. It is easy to hide writing mistakes in narrower ruled paper and a wide nib.

gud luk

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Again, many,MANY sincere thanks for the wonderful advice and support!

I am looking at the UK website as I write this and will give it more study tomorrow after a couple of cups of coffee and when my mind is sharper (if possible).

And yes, I have seen that offering from Goulet pens.

But as I have already spend my initial fountain pen investment capital, Pilot Metropolitan, Con-50 converter, Noodler's Bay State Blue Ink, Jinhao 159, 189, 599a and extra Jinhao converters, not ready to spend another $30 at this point on something I can hopefully find online that fills the bill!

Sadly, it seems that I can get rather over animated when I try something new like fountain pens.

For example, about a year ago when my battery powered buzzing Gillette Cartridge razor broke when I was on vacation, I decided to try my hand at old fashioned Double Edged Razor Wet (mug and brush and all that stuff) shaving. Now I have about 10 vintage razors, 3 different brushes, five different soaps and only the Good Lord knows how many aftershaves and balms.

Also thinking that I may need to invest more by purchasing new nib's if I get a "Dud" nib with the Jinhao pens so that $30 for the Goulet Workbook will be going for new nib's if needed.

I hope not but I need to prepare!

I was in a similar situation a few year ago.

I was so disgusted with my handwriting that I spent the effort to fix it.

I did writing practice, EVERY DAY, for at least and hour, and sometimes up to 3 hours.

After 3 months, it was kinda OK, decent took another 3 months.

The drills will get boring, but they are important to developing new muscle memory, and to teach you the letter forms.

Then WRITE. I wrote a daily journal, of anything and everything. I think I finished a 100 page notebook, both sides, in 3 weeks. I now have a STACK of filled notebooks.

A trick I used is to write large. I use WIDE ruled paper and a F or EF nib, so that I can see my letter form. It is easy to hide writing mistakes in narrower ruled paper and a wide nib.

gud luk

Thanks for the great advice!

And to be very honest, I fully expect to go through the same experience you have just shared with me.

I fully realize that my goal will only be achieved by a lot of practice and effort on my part and success will not come easily or quickly.

Good results rarely do in my experience.

I have long had a habit of keeping a small notepad on the end table beside my living room "Comfy" chair.

When I am watching TV in the evenings and I see an add that a movie I am interested in seeing has just came out on DVD, I make note of it so I can get online and later on sign into my local library website and put a copy of said movie on hold so I can go pick it up to watch when it is my turn in line.

Now I am using my Pilot to write those notes and paying attention to my handwriting at the same time.

Also, when I leave the house, my Pilot is in my shirt pocket to use when writing checks or signing credit card receipts.

I am taking this very seriously indeed!

Zwack,

I found the joins interesting on the site you mentioned. Also some of the letter forms are certainly different than I am used to seeing. It is interesting all of the script styles that are out there. The cursive handwriting taught in many European countries is quite different from what I see taught here in the states. The cursive taught in the French schools has much more open loops and rounder letters. You can find it here: http://a-french-education.blogspot.com/2011/03/french-primer-penmanship-by-pb-lecron.html .

UncleRJ I don't want to hijack your post but wanted to add an observation.

Edited by linearM

Very Interesting. I learned in the UK but I know that several different hands were taught in different parts of the UK at the same time. I really need to practice more but I know that my handwriting is deifnitely easier to read than it used to be.

Zwack,

I found the joins interesting on the site you mentioned. The joins also some of the letter forms are certainly different than I am used to seeing. It is interesting all of the script styles that are out there. The cursive handwriting taught in many European countries is quite different from what I see taught here in the states. The cursive taught in the French schools has much more open loops and rounder letters. You can find it here: http://a-french-education.blogspot.com/2011/03/french-primer-penmanship-by-pb-lecron.html .

UncleRJ I don't want to hijack your post but wanted to add an observation.

Please feel free to "Hack" my post as you are offering insights and information that I desperately need!

That being said, I look forward to your next "Hack"!

Go to Staples.

Look for the single subject, wire bound, notebook, made in BRAZIL.

The country of origin is IMPORTANT. The papers from the other countries are not as fountain pen friendly as the Brazil paper.

In the last 'back to school' sale, they were 17 CENTS each. I bought 30 ;) That way you don't have to worry about the cost of the paper that you are practicing on. The paper is not Clairfontaine grade, but it is a heck of a lot cheaper, and good enough for penmanship practice and journal writing. This is what I use to write my daily journals.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

My handwriting used to be worse than awful. The nun who was trying to teach handwriting to my school felt she failed miserably with me.

Then I was in a period musical and I wanted to write properly for the timeframe. I researched letter forms and became interested in calligraphy. It forced me to look at the shape of each letter. The improvement was immediate - so much so that my grandparents noticed.

While I am not a calligrapher, the practice and writing slowly had the biggest impact. I still practice, almost daily. It can be writing quotes, poems, parts of stories - really anything - even copying names out of a phone book.

Tom

Waterman Ideal - blue ink; Esterbrook 2048 - brown ink; Waterman Carene - black ink

http://i648.photobucket.com/albums/uu204/CrazyVacationer/Pens/collection_sm.jpg

See next post for example of horrible handwriting!

Per the above request!

Edited by UncleRJ

Per your request, here is (to my embarrassment) a sample of my handwriting with the Pilot Metropolitan on standard legal paper.

Whoops, I got it to scan but I can't figure out how to add the image from my PC into this message!

Any help will be appreciated!

Well...does THIS help?

With the handwriting, I mean. It's what I used to improve mine to almost-legible levels.

As for posting pictures, if your pictures are stored someplace like Flickr or Photobucket, you can try using image tags. Or upload them to your profile and post as attachments.

I know there are how-to-add-pictures posts here on FPN. I just can't locate them at the moment.

Wait....you can find some HERE.

Edited by Sailor Kenshin

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

I can read it. Therefore it's legible. ;)

Pick a 'hand' to practice. Once you know the correct letter forms....Slow down...keep slant and spacing consistent. Don't overcomplicate, don't drive yourself nuts.

My handwriting was so bad, I got detained after school for weeks while they tried to force me to switch from my left hand to my right.

I can read it. Therefore it's legible. ;)

Pick a 'hand' to practice. Once you know the correct letter forms....Slow down...keep slant and spacing consistent. Don't overcomplicate, don't drive yourself nuts.

My handwriting was so bad, I got detained after school for weeks while they tried to force me to switch from my left hand to my right.

Sadly, I was going slow and being careful :yikes:

And that was the best one after half a dozen try's!

Sadly, I was going slow and being careful :yikes:

And that was the best one after half a dozen try's!

You'll get there. You really will.