Diamine Inks In Vacumatic Question.

Angel91

Hello everyone,

I've recently bought a Parker vacumatic and I'm still trying to figure out one ink to stick to.

However, reading on the internet I've read different opinions on whether diamine are safe or not. Richard binder compares it to waterman in terms of safety, but in the majority of the topics I've read, users say they prefer not to use diamine inks.

I'm obviously talking about blue or blue blacks such as twilight, teal or Mediterranean blue.

So what is your opinion? Thanks!

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Chrissy

• Angel91

• amberleadavis

• fabri00

Most modern fp inks are pH safe for fountain pens. Whether a particular in will function well, is another issue. I adhere to a simple standard that has served well, so far. - - - - Which inks were available, when this pen was produced ? I am comfortable using , in vintage non-cartridge pens, Quink, Sheaffer Script, and Pelikan 4001.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

"pH Neutral" or "FP safe" doesn't necessarily mean it won't stain/dye the innards :(

Some plastics like polycarbonate have come out tinted after leaving turquoise or purple inks in them; some might think it's unnoticeable until compared against a new or unstained example.

Given the amt of importance that "transparency" is to a Vac vs laying some bright saturated lines... guess it's up to owner to decide which direction he wishes to gamble.

(Imho chlorine bleach is totally harsh on anything involving cellulose so don't go bleaching willynilly.)

Edited by tamiya

Hello everyone,

However, reading on the internet I've read different opinions on whether diamine are safe or not. Richard binder compares it to waterman in terms of safety, but in the majority of the topics I've read, users say they prefer not to use diamine inks.

I'm obviously talking about blue or blue blacks such as twilight, teal or Mediterranean blue.

So what is your opinion? Thanks!

In the majority of the topics you've read users say they prefer not to use Diamine inks? Really? I haven't read that many topics where users say that. There are certainly a few users on FPN who like to knock Diamine inks, just like there are a few users who like to knock Noodler's inks. Sometimes people moan just because that's how they are, so you can take some comments with a large pinch of salt.

However, Diamine have been successfully making inks for over 150 years so I'm sure they've been regularly and safely used in the odd Parker Vac or two.

Richard Binder compares Diamine to Waterman in terms of safety. I would tend to trust his expert judgement.

I've never had a problem using the Diamine inks that I have, but I've had serious staining in converters or piston windows caused by using some different brands.

The three inks you mention: Twilight, Teal or Mediterranean Blue have never caused me a problem in any of the pens I've used them in. I would be perfectly happy to fill a Mb 146 or Aurora Optima with any of them with no fear of any permanent staining in my ink windows, and I have regularly used them all.

That's why I was so confused... He's the one restorer everyone takes in consideration yet many people don't take his advise on using diamine inks...

Anyway, I guess the greatest fear would be staining, as I don't think diamine inks can melt a sac, and as you say you haven't seen any staining using them...

I'm still so confused ;). I guess I'll take the risk and use them! Haha.

That's why I was so confused... He's the one restorer everyone takes in consideration yet many people don't take his advise on using diamine inks...

I do. :D

Diamine has a wide range of inks with different characteristics, so it can be difficult to make a blanket statement in that circumstance.

The more saturated the ink, the harder it is to clean, because there is so much more dye in the ink. And vacs are meant to load ink, not expel it, so cleaning is a chore.

I've not had any problem with Diamine inks, so far, but have only used a few, and none in a vac.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

To be fair to Richard Binder, he doesn't make a blanket generalization. "Some Diamine colors, however, especially their reds and colors containing red dyes, such as pinks, violets, oranges, and browns, appear more prone to clogging issue."

Right now, I would love to know of some Diamine purple ink that I can use in a Parker 51 without concerns about maintenance, but I'd prefer to hear from someone who is willing to concede that not all Diamine inks are ideal for all pens.

Diamine Teal was excessively dry for me in the first 3 pens I tried, so I gave it away. In hindsight should have tried it in my Conway Stewart 58!

I could live with just one stable if it was Diamine.

I believe the OP is very wise to limit that pen to one ink, cleaning them is tiresome.

"how do I know what I think until I write it down?"

In the majority of the topics you've read users say they prefer not to use Diamine inks? Really? I haven't read that many topics where users say that. There are certainly a few users on FPN who like to knock Diamine inks, just like there are a few users who like to knock Noodler's inks. Sometimes people moan just because that's how they are, so you can take some comments with a large pinch of salt.

However, Diamine have been successfully making inks for over 150 years so I'm sure they've been regularly and safely used in the odd Parker Vac or two.

Richard Binder compares Diamine to Waterman in terms of safety. I would tend to trust his expert judgement.

I've never had a problem using the Diamine inks that I have, but I've had serious staining in converters or piston windows caused by using some different brands.

The three inks you mention: Twilight, Teal or Mediterranean Blue have never caused me a problem in any of the pens I've used them in. I would be perfectly happy to fill a Mb 146 or Aurora Optima with any of them with no fear of any permanent staining in my ink windows, and I have regularly used them all.

For sure diamine Inks are very good and also inespressive.

But they make many Inks, and some if them tend to stain or to, in particular the red/brownish ones.

Brands like parker, pelikan, waterman, sheaffer, have a limited range, but no issue of any problem since decades.

To conclude, i trust and enjoy diamine Inks, but il never use oxblood in my Omas Extra Lucens from 1936 .........

For sure diamine Inks are very good and also inespressive.
But they make many Inks, and some if them tend to stain or to, in particular the red/brownish ones.
Brands like parker, pelikan, waterman, sheaffer, have a limited range, but no issue of any problem since decades.

To conclude, i trust and enjoy diamine Inks, but il never use oxblood in my Omas Extra Lucens from 1936 .........

This particular user is interested in the 3 inks he mentioned. He hasn't asked whether some reddish brown Diamine inks might stain or not.

When Parker first made their vacumatics they were still producing permanent inks that definitely would have stained these pens

I use Diamine Twilight in several of my vintage pens with no issues thus far. I can't speak on teal or Mediterranean blue, but Twilight gets the green light as one of my favorites.

Thank you! Yes, In fact I already knew the issue about reds and purples, I was just asking about those blue/ blue blacks in particular.

As I mentioned, not everyone agrees on diamine inks safety! Haha

I use Diamine ink in my grandmother's aerometric 51, no problems except for staining the ink sac. There's definitely a little magenta that comes out if I soak it overnight (I think it originated from Imperial Blue).

This particular user is interested in the 3 inks he mentioned. He hasn't asked whether some reddish brown Diamine inks might stain or not.

When Parker first made their vacumatics they were still producing permanent inks that definitely would have stained these pens

The title of the thread is "diamine Inks in vacumatic".

In any case, I like presidential blue among diamine blue Inks, but again Ill never fill it in my Omas extra Lucens, or in any of my Parker Vacumatic.

The Parker Vac is an amazing fountain pen, and you could build a collection just on the Vac variants. As ac12 pointed out, the Vac is exceptional at pulling the ink in, but the pen is difficult to clean. Your idea of dedicating an ink to this fountain pen workhorse is a solid idea.

Fountain pen ink is designed for fountain pens and should be "safe." However, some fountain pen inks stain. Your Vac may or may not have the translucent look, and I would use an ink without a reputation for staining (there are blues and blue-blacks that stain).

Fountain pen users present their anecdotal evidence about certain inks melting latex. These accusations can cause heated discussions on the boards. But I weigh the words of fountain pen repairers carefully. High dye load inks are high maintenance (as are nanopigment inks).

I've settled into using Sheaffer, Pelikan, Waterman, and Mont Blanc inks in my pens that have latex sacs and diaphragms. My anecdotal evidence is no failures since I made the switch.

Buzz

"pH Neutral" or "FP safe" doesn't necessarily mean it won't stain/dye the innards :(

Some plastics like polycarbonate have come out tinted after leaving turquoise or purple inks in them; some might think it's unnoticeable until compared against a new or unstained example.

Given the amt of importance that "transparency" is to a Vac vs laying some bright saturated lines... guess it's up to owner to decide which direction he wishes to gamble.

(Imho chlorine bleach is totally harsh on anything involving cellulose so don't go bleaching willynilly.)

Okay, I can say that inks may stain, but I've gotten the stains out with other inks.

And from this:

http://www.sheismylawyer.com/2016-Ink/Pens/Vac700/slides/20160125_155223.jpg

To This : (Sorry that it looks yellow, it isn't and if you look, the months have changed.)

http://www.sheismylawyer.com/2016_2_Ink/08-August/slides/IMG_20160826_205052.jpg

and

What is ink is amazing for ... getting out stains. With just one use, the pen went from this:

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/Inked_Today/slides/20140706_195944.jpg

To this:

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/Inked_Today/slides/20140713_211154.jpg

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/Inked_Today/slides/20140712_165723.jpg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY