My First Fountain Pen Finally Arrived!

UncleRJ

May I ask where you ordered these from? I'm just returning to the world of fountain pens and don't even know where to begin.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jinhao-Ancient-silver-Great-Wall-and-Chinese-Pattern-Tripod-Fountain-Pen/172316932299?_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D37437%26meid%3D109404f38dba41afa1c12f352e033b91%26pid%3D100011%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D18%26sd%3D172310614489

BTW, this is the same person I ordered from and I won the bid at $8 including S&H.

Almost immediately after I made payment, I received a tracking number and shortly after conformation that the item was shipped.

Be prepared for the item to take anywhere between two weeks to 40 days to arrive (it is being shipped from China afterall) but eventually it will end up in your mailbox!

Edited by UncleRJ

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• UncleRJ

• Freddy

• Kelly G

• jmiller

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I live in a "mixed" world. I like vintage fountain pens AND Noodler's inks. I shave with a Rolls Razor, and lather with a boar bristle brush and Dove bar soap.

Today I shaved with a 1930's Gillette "New" Razor, Persona Med Prep Blades, Badger Bristle Brush, and Chiseled Face Cryogen soap followed with Virgin Island Bay Rum aftershave and Thayer's Witch Hazel with Aloe and Lemon.

Tomorrows shave will be using different gear and different soap and aftershave :D

You are not ALONE!

Ps, At some point I can see myself with some vintage fountain pens as well. Just not this very moment ;)

Edited by UncleRJ

Congratulations re new pen..put it to good use.

By the way..I still use me Gillette Fat Boy every day..which was purchased in

'59......and today I found a dime c.1946-D and quarter c. 1963...........

{freakinhappysmileyfacetimethingie}

Fred

Congratulations re new pen..put it to good use.

By the way..I still use me Gillette Fat Boy every day..which was purchased in

'59......and today I found a dime c.1946-D and quarter c. 1963...........

{freakinhappysmileyfacetimethingie}

Fred

Fred, you have inspired my shave for tomorrow. :D

I will see your Gillette "Fat Boy"and raise you my Gillette "Slim" Adjustable. ;)

Sorry, I could just not pass up the opportunity for some Double Edged Razor "Word Play" :yikes:

What blade do you use in that most excellent razor and what setting if you don't mind me asking?

Fred, you have inspired my shave for tomorrow. :D

I will see your Gillette "Fat Boy"and raise you my Gillette "Slim" Adjustable. ;)

Sorry, I could just not pass up the opportunity for some Double Edged Razor "Word Play" :yikes:

What blade do you use in that most excellent razor and what setting if you don't mind me asking?

I'm currently usin' Wilkinson Sword and IIRClearly 7 .........BTW,

have a Slim..haven't used it in years................

Fred

I'm currently usin' Wilkinson Sword and IIRClearly 7 .........BTW,

have a Slim..haven't used it in years................

Fred

To be honest, it has been a bit since I have used the Slim myself for about 6 months and it is time I revisit that razor and give it another chance.

BTW, thanks for mentioning the Wilkinson Sword blades. Never used them but way past time I tried them!

That being said, I just put a pack on my Amazon.com list to add them to my next purchase.

As to the IIRClearly 7, granted I had to look that up as you clearly have me outclassed in the vintage pen department and I freely admit I am a Noob's NOOB when it comes to all things fountain pen and ink.

As to your reference to finding some rare coins?

Does the fact that while cleaning out an old drawer and I found a Canadian $5 bill left over from a fishing trip I had over 20 years ago count?

BTW, thanks for mentioning the Wilkinson Sword blades. Never used them but way past time I tried them!

As to the IIRClearly 7, granted I had to look that up as you clearly have me outclassed in the vintage pen department and I freely admit I am a Noob's NOOB when it comes to all things fountain pen and ink.

As to your reference to finding some rare coins?

Does the fact that while cleaning out an old drawer and I found a Canadian $5 bill left over from a fishing trip I had over 20 years ago count?

Re IIRClearly 7.....if I remember clearly I set the adjuster on the Fat Boy at number 7.....

it goes from 1-9.....The coins are not rare....just got a kick outta finding 'em

in change...years ago used to find many interesting coins in pocket change.

Why not................................................

Fred

say good night

good nite

You gents have me outclassed with your razor ephemera. I have a couple of vintage Gillette safety razors, but have no idea what models they are. I am a proudly bearded bloke so I rarely use them. I know one was my great grandfather's but that's it. I love hearing people discuss some of these things though. It would seem I returned at the right time.

Ladies and Gents.....Please excuse the DDP {dreaded double post}

I can assure you it was not intentional................

Still your friend and mine,

Fred

Edited by Freddy

fpn_1472269813__tiptopgumbnbnbhy34io8.jp

Fred

Thank you so very much for your more than kind reply Mr. Fred!

Hopefully in a few months, I will be able to reply in readable handwriting!

You gents have me outclassed with your razor ephemera. I have a couple of vintage Gillette safety razors, but have no idea what models they are. I am a proudly bearded bloke so I rarely use them. I know one was my great grandfather's but that's it. I love hearing people discuss some of these things though. It would seem I returned at the right time.

Never out classed, EVER.

It's just that folks like me get caught up in it.

To coin a phrase, its not the size or make or model of your razor, It's how you use it!

BTW, I am a semi bearded bloke as well. I kinda look like Colonel Sanders at best.

And I still have plenty of places to shave!

Feel free to send me a PM about identifying your razors or how best to use them!

Well after the :yikes: of pricing the Gillette 5-8 or is it 10 by now, bladed razor. Then all the test proved the cheap 2 blade and old single edge do as good or better a job.

I had decided in I was soon to retire, to go the Straight Razor Way. I would have the time to do it properly.

I had the months to examine that world, and was OCD on that too. :rolleyes:

I did not want Silvertip badger brush, in I did not have my own barber and barber chair to put hot towels on my face.

Super or Best would do for home shaving. Probably English. Best Badger would perhaps be best as a starter brush, in Super might be a tad too soft to raise the hair.

When traveling 'first class' of course bring your Silvertip so the Grand Hotel's barber can use if on you. Hot towels are what one 'needs'. (Sigh...was once on my list of things to do.)

There is much to learn on how to lay the lather...

I did not need the best French 'Singing' straight razor....but fancy 5/8th (sized to face shape and heaviness of beard, you might need thinner or wider width of blade) German would do. Surely I could afford 1/2 to 2X the price of a plain blade, for fancy. ..... There is much more to which blade shape is best for you.

I'd found a proper English shuttle (that took some looking), good English soaps.

The main problem is no matter how I looked I could not find a horsehide/Irish linen strop; :angry: that my 1902 Sears told me from the price was the best. Not even any second best seal hide strops....nothing but modern third class ones.

All that for only 500 Euros.....but my pen addiction has me wearing a beard.

Using Wilkinson double blade in a no name razor; for my neck. I sold my 9 step Gillette in the flea market.

Well if you don't need the fancy blade, you can get a good set for @ 200 Euro.

Do order the special sharpening, the way it should be; barber sharp, instead of the nearly, you get normally. And in spite of all your various strops which only return an edge to sharp, every year to couple of years you will have to send it in for a professional sharping.

I bought so many old used pens...vintage because I grew a beard. :rolleyes:

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Granted that straight razors have a lot of appeal to them, I quickly came to the realization that they are not for me.

First of all, I want a close shave and not a self sacrifice.

Also, they need a lot of skilled upkeep like honing and stropping.

Double edged razors, I just replace my blade after the fourth shave.

I am also grateful that my barber still offers a traditional straight razor barbershop shave complete with hot towles and all of the "Fixens" for a whopping $15.

A true bargain in my book.

As far as DE Wet Shaving is concerned, I find myself done with collecting vintage razors. I have found the ones I love and will begin to sell of the rest. From now on, I will just be trying different soaps and aftershave lotions.

Which frees up some funds to pursue my interest in Fountain Pens!

Once I have received all the pens I have ordered and get used to them and I am sure I will be sticking with my new hobby, I have no doubt that I will be venturing in to the vintage pens.

But first things FIRST!