My First Fountain Pen Finally Arrived!

UncleRJ

No particular thanks to USPS, my first pen arrived in good condition last Friday afternoon.

Pilot Metropolitan, Con-50 converter and a bottle of Noodler's Bay State Blue.

I had done a lot of reading and watched a few videos so I decided to begin my fountain pen "Learning Curve".

I removed the pen from its box, disassembled it and gently wiped down the nib with some water with a few drops of Dawn detergent added to it, followed by wiping it down with plain water and letting it air dry for a few minutes.

Then I removed the pressure plate converter and replaced it with the Con-50 converter (the newer model with the little metal "Agitator" in it.

Taking the precaution of putting a piece of cardboard on top of my desk with some newspaper to cover and paper towels at hand, I carefully opened the bottle of ink.

So far so good.

I carefully inserted the nib into the ink, and turned the piston to fill. Then I pointed the nib upward, adjusted the piston to push out the air bubble I had, inserted the nib back into the bottle and pulled in a bit more ink.

Then I took a Kleenex, and wiped off the nib and lower part of the pen.

In spite of my great care, at this point I had bright blue ink covering my index, middle finger and thumb as well as a few spots on the cardboard! How the ink bottle survived this process without getting any ink on the label is beyond me........................

Now to remove the stain from my fingers.

I went and found a can of "Brasso" and rubbed into my ink stained fingers. After a few minutes of rubbing, most of the stain was gone. I decided to try and get rid of the rest of the stain by adding a few drops of aftershave (since I knew it had alcohol in it) to the offending fingers and it removed the rest of the stain.

I assembled the pen, got out a sheet of printer paper (I realize there is better paper but this is what I had) and gave the pen a try.

The ink flowed freely as soon as the nib touched the paper without any "Scratchy" feeling to it at all. And it has continued to do so even after being stored for a full 48 hours nib up in a small glass.

I also really like the construction of the pen itself. The nib screws without resistance into the barrel and the cap fits firmly on top of the barrel while I am writing and also "Snaps" firmly in place over the nib when I am done.

My only issue is that the pen is just a little small for my Ham Hands with Sausage Fingers and very light weight. At least to me.

I also have a Jinhao 159 and 189 being shipped on the slow-boat from China which have some good reviews and are larger and heavier so I look forward to trying them.

I am also thinking on ordering a box of those plastic "Food Prep" gloves to use while filling pens in the future.

Meanwhile, I am quite happy to continue using my Pilot while trying to improve my handwriting~

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• UncleRJ

• Freddy

• Kelly G

• Bo Bo Olson

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Go to Costco and get a box of examination gloves.

Go to the 'Dollar Store' and get a cookie baking tray.

Put a layer of paper towel on it.

Then load your ink on it. Keep the ink bottle in the MIDDLE of the tray, and in a bottle stabilizer (see next item).

The paper towel will absorb drips, and the tray "should" contain any spills. Well a Noodler's bottle is pretty big and and LOT of ink, so some of the ink might splash over, but most should be contained.

Make yourself a bottle stabilizer, to stabilize the ink bottle. I made one out of a bunch of Lego, see attached pix.

The tall Noodler's bottle is easy to knock over, and that will be a real mess.

post-105113-0-90796700-1472063956.jpg

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

I think you'll really like the Jinhao 159 - it's a beefy pen with a fair amount of weight. I enjoy mine and did an upgrade to it by add a Goulet Fine nib - writes like a dream now...and I much prefer it to my Metropolitan

Thanks for the tray and stabilizer idea.

I think there might be a box of Lego's gathering dust in the garage from when my kid's were little!

I like the Lego stabilizer!

I just put my Noodler's bottle in a small mug or cup in the sink when I need to get ink out of it (I do all my pen cleaning and refilling in the kitchen, as there's always need for some water, detergent, soap and/or paper towels).

This way, if there is a spill, I can just rinse it off, before it dries.

Dan

I think you'll really like the Jinhao 159 - it's a beefy pen with a fair amount of weight. I enjoy mine and did an upgrade to it by add a Goulet Fine nib - writes like a dream now...and I much prefer it to my Metropolitan

I second the recommendation on the Jinhao 159. I'm really quite fond of mine - it's a hearty pen for sure and I got lucky as mine writes very nicely.

Great ideas ALL!

Coffee cup or Lego's CHECK.

Stainless Steel Kitchen Sink and or Tray CHECK

Badge of Honor..........................?

While I rather like the idea, the Mrs. not so much.

Great ideas ALL!

Coffee cup or Lego's CHECK.

Stainless Steel Kitchen Sink and or Tray CHECK

Badge of Honor..........................?

While I rather like the idea, the Mrs. not so much.

You want to write a really nice letter on a really nice paper with really nice words to your Mrs. and she will like the idea too.

Support your local post office - write letters!

You want to write a really nice letter on a really nice paper with really nice words to your Mrs. and she will like the idea too.

Sadly, the Mrs. (and perhaps rightfully so) is much more concerned with what I may or may not be doing to her kitchen.

Per my Mrs. I am quite the cook when I put my mind and effort to it so I try to please her.

Which brings us to this shining example and case in point.............................................

About 10 years ago (we have been married for 34 years) I got it into my head to cook a Christmas Goose with Chestnut stuffing and all the traditional fixings for our family dinner.

I don't believe she has ever fully forgiven me for what happened to "Her" kitchen.

Now, she knows that I have gotten into fountain pens, she sees me practicing handwriting and she is all for that.

So far she has no knowledge of how ink actually gets into the pen (possibly the "Ink Fairy") as I timed my first fill for when she was out of the house.

And I sure as heck ain't gonna push the subject.

In the past, she also took away my power tools and made me hire folks for work around the house and property.

Sadly, she had good reason to do so.....................Sigh

No, no, no - having ink on your fingers (not anywhere else, mind you!) is a great thing. It shows that you are in communion with your fountain pen. It looks cool.

Happens to me all the time!

BTW, when you shampoo your hair, the ink comes off your fingers as well.

Enjoy! And welcome to the club!

Erick

Using right now:

Visconti Voyager 30 "M" nib running Birmingham Streetcar

Jinhao 9019 "EF" nib running Birmingham Railroad Spike

Stipula Adagio "F" nib running Birmingham Violet Sea Snail

Pelikan M1000 "F" nib running Birmingham Sugar Kelp

No, no, no - having ink on your fingers (not anywhere else, mind you!) is a great thing. It shows that you are in communion with your fountain pen. It looks cool.

Happens to me all the time!

BTW, when you shampoo your hair, the ink comes off your fingers as well.

Enjoy! And welcome to the club!

Erick

Interesting idea Mr. Erick!

One a side note, I have an interested in "Old Fashioned' grooming and shaving AKA Vintage Double Edged Razors and Mug and Brush.

My favorite soap is "Grandpa's Pine Tar Soap". It comes in a traditional bar and in addition to everything else, it does wonders for your hair.

For some reason, I fancy myself following in my Great Grandfathers footsteps in how he courted and snagged Great Grandma!

Heck, since I already know how to remove ink stains from my fingers, I just may experiment by putting a single drop on a finger and seeing if dear old "Grandpa" can remove it!

Now that I think about it, I just may offer 10:1 odds that this soap will do the trick!

Terrific post. I too started with a Pilot Metro and BSB. It's still my BSB sacrificial pen. Good work with the aftershave, I use alcohol based hand sanitizer as my ink remover.

Just today I ordered a Jinhao 159, a Goulet f nib, and a Schmidt International converter; it should be a fun pen.

May we live, not by our fears but by our hopes; not by our words but by our deeds; not by our disappointments but by our dreams.

RJ, don't worry you'll get the hang of the ink filling thing. Sometime I'll tell you about the time my daughter (well grown) spilled the bottle of vintage Quink blue black on the bedroom carpet. That got some attention!

May we live, not by our fears but by our hopes; not by our words but by our deeds; not by our disappointments but by our dreams.

Again, thanks for all the kind comments and the support I am getting here!

I can see the hand sanitizer working really well to get rid of ink stains.

But I have to think using my Clubman Aftershave leaves my fingers smelling better than hand sanitizer :D

And I really do want to hear the gruesome details about your daughter spilling the vintage Quink on the bedroom carpet!

Did you and your little girl manage to get it cleaned up before your Mrs. put together a" Firing Squad" ?

BTW, in addition to the Jinhao 159 I have on order for the princely sum of $3.74 including S&H from China, I also broke down and ordered the Jinhao 189

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/a/T2eC16NHJHEE9ny2qTT2BQB3EGqBuw~~/s-l500.jpg

Just because it looks so very, VERY COOL! Also it had some very decent reviews and for $8 shipped, I simply could not resist

Like I said earlier (and this does not mean that I am not depending on a lot of advice from the members of this forum) I have done a lot of reading and watching videos about fountain pens. And I am fully prepared to order replacement nibs for the Jinhao pens if I need to!

Actually, I found this place via Goulet Pens when I was refereed by them when I asked them what sized nib the Jinhao 189 took (turns out a #5 nib).

They have a very high opinion of this forum just like I do now!

I don't know how large your pen is but suspect it to be 'standard'. There for it should be posted, like a medium-large pen. Then you will have some balance. Clunky large pens have no real balance.

The pen should 'rest' behind the big knuckle at 45 degrees, or at the web of the thumb at 40. You will find your heavy large Chinese pens you ordered might well want to rest at 35 degrees in the pit of the web of your thumb. The pen should rest where it wants!

By forcing a pen to rest at 45 degrees, you will use too much pressure.

Do not use the dreaded Kung Fu thumnail press on your pen. The thumb is a dam only...do not press your thumb. And the thumb should be flat to the barrel.

Hold the pen like you would a featherless baby bird.

Do Not make baby bird paste. :angry:

Your standard sized pen is light and nimble....if you are not holding on like you are falling off a cliff. Posted it will be long and big enough....if you have a light hold on it.

Back when folks wrote 8 hours a day, standard or medium large pens were used. Large pens came in as bling (IMO)...when fountain pens were not an 8 hour a day tool. There may have been Large pens in the '50-60's....but I never saw one in real life.

Many folks refuse to post a pen for religious grounds, and then complain it is too small. So try posting it before thinking it is too small.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

I have been putting the advise I have received here into practice with a modification or two.

I just went to fill my pen again still using he Pilot Con-50 converter and without mess this time.

I did "Stabilize" the ink bottle in a small cocktail type glass.

And I covered my left hand with a sandwich sized baggie while I operated the converter with my right hand.

I also used the baggie covered hand to grasp the paper towel while I cleaned the nib and surrounding area.

No blue fingers this time :D

BTW, in addition to the Jinhao 159 I have on order for the princely sum of $3.74 including S&H from China, I also broke down and ordered the Jinhao 189

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/a/T2eC16NHJHEE9ny2qTT2BQB3EGqBuw~~/s-l500.jpg

Just because it looks so very, VERY COOL! Also it had some very decent reviews and for $8 shipped, I simply could not resist

May I ask where you ordered these from? I'm just returning to the world of fountain pens and don't even know where to begin.

I live in a "mixed" world. I like vintage fountain pens AND Noodler's inks. I shave with a Rolls Razor, and lather with a boar bristle brush and Dove bar soap.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !