Leaky Maestro

GreenTR6

Good morning all. I've been reading posts for a long time, but never posted. I have several fountain pens, but I'm having some trouble with my Waterman Hemisphere Maestro.

First, If I leave it laying down for more than a few hours, ink flows out the nib and makes a mess of everything. It has a M nib that writes smooth and I also love the wetness of how it writes. Any ideas on why it is leaking?

Second, I have tried to use Waterman ink cartridges, but they won't stay in place by themselves. I had to put a bit of scotch tape on the end so that it would have a snug fit and that seems to "solve" the problem. I don't think I should have to do that though. I have not had a problem with the Waterman converter, only the cartridges. I have tried three different packages (black, midnight blue and serenity blue (my favorite)) and all are the same. Why would the converter work, but not the cartridges??

Thanks,

Walter

post-131578-0-70990200-1471973558_thumb.jpg

Edited by GreenTR6

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GreenTR6

• RMN

• Left FPN

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ahhh but please show us a picture of the Hemisphere :rolleyes:

All I see is a Maestro.

If you are discussing that pen, have you had a good look up inside the section and can you see the proboscis and if you can does it look in good fettle.

Oops, I'm sorry!! :blush: It is the Maestro I'm referring to.

I was looking at my Hemisphere Rollerball pen as I was typing this.

Great first post. :unsure:

Thanks, Force. I will take a look to see if I can see anything after running through the current cartridge and then flushing the pen.

Walter

No ideas out there why there would be so much ink flow out of the nib when I lay the pen down for a few hours??

If the carts won't stay seated probably the pin that should pierce the cartridge and regulate some of the flow is missing, resulting in an airleak. Because false air can get into the converter the ink will keep flowing.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

Thanks RMN. So the pin that pierces the cartridge also helps to hold it in? I thought the carts were just too loose around the sides. I will take cart out and put in converter to see if I still have the leak. The converter fits snugly. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks Force. I didn't realize the pin that pierces the cartridge helps to hold it in and is also associated with the ink flow. I will keep you posted.

Well, the pin that pierces the cartridge looks to be ok. The nib is jagged at the end and pitted as can be seen in the photo. I have the converter in the pen right now and it is firmly in place. I'll see if the jagged edged nib causes it to leak.

post-131578-0-78090000-1472671655.jpgpost-131578-0-60028000-1472671662.jpg

Well, the pin that pierces the cartridge looks to be ok. The nib is jagged at the end and pitted as can be seen in the photo. I have the converter in the pen right now and it is firmly in place. I'll see if the jagged edged nib causes it to leak.

attachicon.giffeed and nib.jpgattachicon.gifnib.jpg

I may be corrected here but I think that pin on the feed passes through another pin or tube inside the grip. It's that pin or tube, proboscis as I like to term it, pushes the micro sphere inside the cartridge mouth. The sphere serves two purposes, it seals the mouth and when free acts as a de-bubbler inside the cartridge...it rolls about breaking up the air bubbles.

Steel nibs :unsure:

Walter, excuse the question, but could you show us the cartridge you are using? As I understand that is the culprit that will not stay in place?

D.ick

~

~

As for the sealing part, the converter and cartridge are two different widths. I did not measure them, but I can tell when putting them in that the cart is loose around the sides. The photo doesn't show size difference, but it is where the white pen is pointing too that they differ. As for the leaking, we'll see what happens with the converter. So far it seems to be fine. I did see another "proboscis" inside and it seems to be ok too. Also, the cartridges I am using are Waterman carts. :wacko:post-131578-0-85182900-1472673389.jpg

OK, they are the correct cartridges. Waterman used to have different sizes long ago, so I asked on the off chance you had acquired a bunch of these, but you haven't.

I checked one of my Watermans in use now (Charleston) and the cartridge is secure around what Force calls the proboscis, but there is space between the cartridge and the sleeve. But I have to use force to remove it, so it sits secure.

Strange story it is.

D.ick

~

~

I think 2 of the cartridge boxes I have are quite old. But so is my pen. From the early 90s I believe. I do have 1 box of carts that is from 2013 and that is the one that is currently leaking. If I recall correctly, the other blue cartridges also leaked. I will try the black carts and also a Monteverde International size cartridge that I have. Will report back. Thanks!

Well, I tried the Monteverde cartridge. It just spins around and it won't stay put so I had to use a bit of scotch tape. It is writing though. I'll have to see if it starts to leak.

Well. The ink flow is still substantial. I guess I will have to have someone take a look at it. Any suggestions for repairs? I'm on the border of L.A. and Orange county in California. Thanks!