What Did You Do With Your Akkerman Ink Bottle?

jjlax10

So several years ago I ran a group buy for the Big Apple Pen Club for Akkerman Ink in the large bottles. I personally bought myself a bottle of Shocking Blue and a bottle of Bekakt Haags.

After several years of not using them, I took them out last night and tried them out again. Well, the blue is lovely and the brown is a nice brown, but I can't see myself using the whole bottle, and some of my favorite Diamines would look quite nice in them. I am curious if others made it through their bottle or decanted in favor of another ink?

Josh

President, Big Apple Pen Club

Follow us on Instagram @big_apple_pen_club

"Let other pens dwell on guilt and misery."

J.J. Lax Pen Co.

www.jjlaxpenco.comOn Instagram: @jjlaxpenco

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• Chrissy

• jjlax10

• Barkingpig

I don't have the really big bottles, just four of the the 60 ml ones (three from the FPN group buy a couple of years ago). And I have enough other inks that I don't know when I'll get through them. I haven't even technically dived into the bottle of Shocking Blue yet myself, although a couple of people at the SCN meeting last week got to partake....

I suspect that if and when I *do* go through a bottle, I will wash and save them and then decant other inks into them -- because the bottles are awesome. I could probably fill one of the ringtop leverfillers very easily.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Still have to go through more than 3/4 of my large Akkerman Ijzer-Galnoten blauw/zwart # 10, but I've wondered what I'd do with the bottle. Probably would keep it as a curiosity.

I love the concept of the filling chamber with the marble stopper. For my purposes, the 60 ml. size is much more practical.

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

*Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14k. (factory) "H-B"

*Kaweco SPECIAL FP: 14k. "B",-0.6 mm BLS & 14k."M" 0.4 mm. BLS (PB)

*Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14k. "M" -0.7 mm.BLS, (PB)

We did our group buy before they were available in 60 ml sizes. It might have been right before in fact.

President, Big Apple Pen Club

Follow us on Instagram @big_apple_pen_club

"Let other pens dwell on guilt and misery."

J.J. Lax Pen Co.

www.jjlaxpenco.comOn Instagram: @jjlaxpenco

It's still 2/3 full of brown # 23. BTW I have compared the ink to my favorite Diamine and private reserve brown inks. The color difference is so slight.

"how do I know what I think until I write it down?"

Sorry if I may have caused confusion. I have seen pictures of Akkerman bottles, but have never seen one in real life. Never bought one, handled one, touched one. :(

I put mine on a log in the back yard and blew it to smithereens with my Colt .45 handgun. Felt great! LOL!

With the new FPN rules, now I REALLY don't know what to put in my signature.

I put mine on a log in the back yard and blew it to smithereens with my Colt .45 handgun. Felt great! LOL!

:yikes: Oh no! I, and plenty of others, would have paid money for that.

In truth, sometimes I will take it out of my ink cabinet and simply admire the symmetry and thoughtfulness of the bottle's design.

Why on earth did you do that? Did you hate the ink or something?

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Oh, come on,

if it was the larger Akkerman bottle you should @ least make it a "really, challenging shootout" & alternate between the Akkermans, Sailor tall vase bottles alternating with assorted Parker Penman bottles!

IF blowing that Akkerman bottle felt "great," imagine how much fun a bit of variety could be? (Not to mention the cries of anguish THAT could produce!)

LOL! I didn't really do that, but knew my posting that "extreme" comment would blow some minds! My way of playing an innocent online prank with my dear FP buddies!

With the new FPN rules, now I REALLY don't know what to put in my signature.

• 2 weeks later...

I emptied all of my large Akkerman bottles, because I did samples. I sold as many samples as I could - that offset the cost of the inks and then I gave away others. I had a lot of fun and others got to try the inks too.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

I have three of the big guys and two little ones. Four are still holding ink, while one big guy is empty. I love how easy it is to fill pens from these bottles!

http://www.fototime.com/%7BC9B64D49-82DD-4C56-BAA8-0BA08CD05879%7D/origpict/7.JPG

So, are you going to refill that empty?

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

So, are you going to refill that empty?

Oh. no doubt. It is so much easier to fill pens from the Akkerman bottles than from the Sailor bottles that contain the Kobe and Bung Box inks I like so much!

I emptied all of my large Akkerman bottles, because I did samples. I sold as many samples as I could - that offset the cost of the inks and then I gave away others. I had a lot of fun and others got to try the inks too.

AND what DID you do with YOUR large bottles, after they were emptied?