Best Way To Keep A Pen Inventory?

mbffplover

I love Jonro's system. It really works for me. However, at some point I should print it out so that I have a hard copy too. But I keep getting more pens...

Jcastro 1975, I like your system as well!

Erick

Using right now:

Visconti Voyager 30 "M" nib running Birmingham Streetcar

Jinhao 9019 "EF" nib running Birmingham Railroad Spike

Stipula Adagio "F" nib running Birmingham Violet Sea Snail

Sailor Profit "B" nib running Van Dieman's Night - Shooting Star

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mbffplover

• jmccarty3

• NinthSphere

• sidthecat

I use Jonro's Fountain Pen Inventory to track buy/sell price, who from/to & when, original pen configurations & any changes such as nib swapping, pics of individual pens, etc. Which pens are inked & with what ink, I keep track of in my head.

+1

The only "problem" with this database is that it automaticaly adds up what you have spent on pens. And the total keeps increasing in a very frightening manner.... ;)

Edited by carlos.q

I tried using index cards, but tired of them. I considered using a database, but that would be too much like work. So instead I simply memorize my pens. No, I don't recall how much I exactly paid for each pen, but I really don't care, as it doesn't factor into my enjoyment of a pen, nor how much it might sell for if I ever did sell or trade it. Plus, I only have about a hundred and fifty pens.

I am working with jonro's software as well. I made a sub folder with it in which I keep copies of articles or lists that I find on the net. One such list was the very helpful list of all the Sheaffer School pen variations from an old thread here at FPN. Printed that and use it for a checklist.

One of the things I discovered about this software is I can copy the whole parent folder on my laptop to a thumb drive and take it to the main machine in the office and runn it there as well. Handy.

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." -Pablo Picasso

Fascinating! This is really interesting and, I guess, like pens themselves, shows the variety of personal preferences. Love the mix of paper and computer based systems.

Will have to try and get Jonro's software to install somehow. Maybe I'll try it on my older computer.

Jcastro 1975 - Any interest in putting your web app in the wild and letting other enthusiasts use it? :)

Hi mbffplover (Montblanc Forever Fountain Pen Lover?),

While I use Excel to track data on my pool playing and Word to record lots of stuff, I am "old school" with pen data. I use a zippered 6-ring binder with a page for each pen I acquire. I record the date acquired and cost, often using the pen itself to write this. I also record anything I did when first getting the pen like flushing it out or aligning the tines. As time goes on, if I try to adjust the ink flow, I make a note of this on the page for that pen. I would also record it if I change the nib on the pen or if I have problems with the pen such as hard starts or skips. In some cases my notes on a pen have run to a second or even a third page. I used to record the weight of each pen in this notebook, but haven't been keeping up on that lately.

The other records I keep involve the ink I am using in a pen. I keep a small box of index cards and record what ink is in the pen. There's a small section at the front of the box for currently inked pen. When I clean and store a pen, the index card for that pen is moved to the second section of the box. Pens that are given away or just trashed go into a third section.

Finally, since my memory is pretty poor these days, I keep an index card handy that shows the inks in each inked pen so that I don't have to access the box of index cards.

:) I never thought of that. Not Mont Blanc Forever but just random characters I like. Is Mont Blanc your brand of choice?

I love Jonro's system. It really works for me. However, at some point I should print it out so that I have a hard copy too. But I keep getting more pens...

Jcastro 1975, I like your system as well!

Erick

Thanks for the comments

Fascinating! This is really interesting and, I guess, like pens themselves, shows the variety of personal preferences. Love the mix of paper and computer based systems.

Will have to try and get Jonro's software to install somehow. Maybe I'll try it on my older computer.

Jcastro 1975 - Any interest in putting your web app in the wild and letting other enthusiasts use it? :)

I started developing that app to begin learning a new framework I was interested in.

By no means it is something very elaborated , just a database witha a couple of tables and a shared location where I store the photos.

The whole idea was to be able to access my fountain pen/ink data from inside my home network from the PC, the iPhone or the iPad but not have to develop something for each platform. Basically I have it installed in an old machine I have shared across my home network.

The app is still in process of evolving and at this point works OK (with a lot of assumptions), but sure I will probably at some point share it when its more stable and I have tested on at least another setting.

Saludos!

Jaime Castro

Thanks for the comments

I started developing that app to begin learning a new framework I was interested in.

By no means it is something very elaborated , just a database witha a couple of tables and a shared location where I store the photos.

The whole idea was to be able to access my fountain pen/ink data from inside my home network from the PC, the iPhone or the iPad but not have to develop something for each platform. Basically I have it installed in an old machine I have shared across my home network.

The app is still in process of evolving and at this point works OK (with a lot of assumptions), but sure I will probably at some point share it when its more stable and I have tested on at least another setting.

Saludos!

Ah I see! It looks like an awesome system and tool - and learning a new framework makes it more impressive! Congrats!

I've been using Joro's db for several years to keep track of pens ​and inks

I have to learn how to create sub folders but in general I like using it and consult often especially before buying more ink

​I've never tried printing anything from it but that would be handy just to have a hard copy in case the computer goes kaflooey.

Edited by PS104

Create a folder in your computer, with the title "My Fountain Pens". Take photographs with your digital camera. The four pictures of my black and white Tuckersharpe are numbered 103A, 103B, 103C, and 103D. In the same folder, is a Microsoft Word document "FP#103", where I write about my Tuckersharpe , lever-fill fountain pen.

The picures fit, easily, on any flash drive, or tablet. When people begin to bore, with kid pictures, or vacation pictures, or cat pictures, I bring out MY "boring" pictures. I have a set of handgun pictures, as well. :lticaptd: REVENGE -- So sweet thou art.

Rache ist süß.

+1 on this type of inventory, however I have not updated the file in some time.

I have two boxes of pens to clean and inventory.

Back in April at the Chicago Pen Show I ask a few dealers how they inventory of their pens and one man said he doesn't keep inventory anymore. I guess whatever works for you is the way to go for each of us.

Ken

Does anyone have Glen Bowen's Penventory book? I would enjoy seeing a scan or photo of one of the pages.

Brian

One test is worth a thousand expert opinions.

• 3 weeks later...

For pens, I do not find much use of keeping an inventory. I have tried making a list of my pens in a word document, but I have failed to keep it up to date. Lately, I have bought a pen case that holds 48 pens and I am thinking of ordering another one, I am a visual person, so far I find this helps me more with keeping up an inventory of my pens.

Where there is more need for me to keep a backlog is not with pens but with replacement nibs. Because I constantly change nibs between compatible pens and also grind my nibs, I have difficulty keeping track of all the nibs I have in stock or need to order, which nibs I have already modified and to which effect, and in which pen I have inserted a certain nib. A quick writing sample almost always helps but sometimes I understand it can be frustrating.

Regards,

Frank66

- Kaigelu 316 Modification (250 #6 Bock Nib / Beaufort Ink Converter)
- Titanium Bock Nib - Kaigelu 316 - Beaufort Ink

- Bock Rollerball Nib In Jinhao 886 Pen - Beaufort Ink Converter

- No affiliation with pen industry, just a pen hobbyist.

- It matters what you write, only for us it matters what we write it with.

• 2 months later...

I have about 50 of my pens logged into Jonro's database, but it crashes when I try to print or export the data on my Mac. I've sent an email to him asking if this can be fixed, but it's free software, so I doubt it.

There was a meeting at the DC show this year to discuss inventory software, but I didn't see the announcement until after it had taken place. If anyone was there, I'd appreciate knowing what happened.

I'm going to look into the database that Josh mentioned on his blog.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

I have about 50 of my pens logged into Jonro's database, but it crashes when I try to print or export the data on my Mac. I've sent an email to him asking if this can be fixed, but it's free software, so I doubt it.

There was a meeting at the DC show this year to discuss inventory software, but I didn't see the announcement until after it had taken place. If anyone was there, I'd appreciate knowing what happened.

I'm going to look into the database that Josh mentioned on his blog.

I found that can't get a printout either, which is the only problem I've encountered with that software. Kind of a big one, I agree.

The software mentioned on The Pelikans Perch looks quite powerful and Joshua's template is excellent for a Pelican collection. I've not switched over to it because I haven't taken the time to customize it for my mixed collection. Winter days project for after Christmas perhaps.

Back to the free software... there is one other thing about it I'd want to be able to toggle On/Off. Because of it I can imagine someday a conversation like this at our house

Honey: "What's that piece of tape on your computer screen?"

Me: "Oh, that's the web cam."

Honey: "No, the other one?"

Me: "Oh, that's an obscene number in one of my programs."

Honey: ".......I see......"

Me: "No, please.....just, no....."

:huh:

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." -Pablo Picasso

Honey: "What's that piece of tape on your computer screen?"

Me: "Oh, that's the web cam."

Honey: "No, the other one?"

Me: "Oh, that's an obscene number in one of my programs."

Honey: ".......I see......"

Me: "No, please.....just, no....."

Just tell her the software mistakenly leaves out the decimal point. :)

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

Hi all,

I've got a few pens (predominantly Parker) and keep a google sheet of their details to help "keep track" them - ie which ones are inked, when I acquired them, price etc ... The advantages I see with a google sheet is the flexibility it affords (ie I can add whatever columns I want), as well as the ability to share it with a bunch of fellow pen lovers.

I was just wondering - how does everyone else keep tabs on their pens? Is there a better way? It seems that many members try to keep an inventory and I've seen a few people on here use:

1. Jonro's database (for some reason I couldn't get it to install but it sounds like a fantastic tool); or
  2. A table in a word or powerpoint document; or
  3. Something called airtable;

Keen to hear how your thoughts and get a discussion going :)

You don't mention your platform of choice. On Android, the Memento db app is quite good. It allows customization and syncs with a Google spreadsheet app, so it's both on your phone and in the cloud. Easy to use.

---

Please, visit my website at http://www.acousticpens.com/