Pentuner - The Escalation From Hobby To Business Venture

jesse

Today I am very excited to announce the launch of my website pentuner.com. Fountain pens have been a hobby of mine since high school (about ten years). I have collected many varieties of pens and almost always performed my own work on them.

I have decided to turn my hobby into a self-fulfilling business. If I can give back to the community and feed my own collecting habit at the same time, I see no reason to abstain.

My primary focus is to provide nib grinding and tuning/set-up service. Since I am just launching and I'm still a "nobody" my services are discounted. I will occasionally offer restored pens that I pick up from eBay or the flea market.

I invite you to check out my website. I've put a lot of time and effort into it, and I hope you enjoy it. There's so much more I wish I could do but the offerings available in the free tools are limited.

To help get started I will be posting a few PIF nib grinds as well.

FPN has been such a great community that I am honored now to give back in a small way. All FPN members can use coupon code FPN to receive an additional 20% off their service order, for a limited time.

Thank you all so much for being one of the best Internet communities around, regardless of subject.

Edited by jesse

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jesse

• mivox

• eliweisz

• estie1948

Ahh, well, we all started off as "nobody".

Good luck with your new venture.

If I might offer one suggestion for your website: in your "Restorations" tab, consider specifying what types of restorations you perform. i.e. snorkels, button fillers, vacumatics, etc (unless, of course, you work on all)

"History Teaches us that men and nations behave wisely once they have exhausted all other alternatives." Abba Eban

Ahh, well, we all started off as "nobody".

Good luck with your new venture.

If I might offer one suggestion for your website: in your "Restorations" tab, consider specifying what types of restorations you perform. i.e. snorkels, button fillers, vacumatics, etc (unless, of course, you work on all)

Hi Doug, thank you for the feedback. The "Restorations" page is currently under construction, thus why it is listed as out of stock. I do plan to list all types of restoration services I will offer in the future, but I did not want to bite off more than I could chew at once.

I have updated the description of the Restorations page to make it clearer that they are coming soon.

Edited by jesse

Good luck, welcome to to the guild!

President, Big Apple Pen Club

Follow us on Instagram @big_apple_pen_club

"Let other pens dwell on guilt and misery."

J.J. Lax Pen Co.

www.jjlaxpenco.comOn Instagram: @jjlaxpenco

Excellent! Best of luck with your endeavour. I am an expert at destroying nibs so I have a couple of examples for minor and somewhat major restorations... Just need to find a safe way to send them from Mexico!

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

Site Looks Good!

Congrats on Your new venture!

I know- just celebrated my first anniversary myself!

I am still teaching to pay my bills! ;)

May sell pens FT once I retire....

Frank ;)

"Celebrating Eight Years of Retail Writing Excellence"

"When, in the course of writing events, in becomes self-evident that not all pens are created equal"

Federalist Pens and Paper (Online Pen Store)

facelogobooks.png.7b61776c10ce24852b00693f4005dc72.png

Use Forum Code "FPN" at Checkout to Receive an Additional 5% Discount!

Good start with the website. Best success to you.

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." -Pablo Picasso

Like the website set up. Nice clean presentation. God knows we need good nib techs. Good luck Jessie.

Good website. I wish you the very best of luck and am sure you will soon be very busy.

-David (Estie).

No matter how much you push the envelope, it will still be stationery. -Anon.

A backward poet writes inverse. -Anon.

The website is very nice. I really like clean, simple designs!

Are you planning to add a gallery of before/after photos? The Townsend I just sent in should show a pretty marked difference in line width, so it would be cool to post close up before/after nib photos next to their corresponding writing samples... I think that would be interesting for both nib grinding and tuning jobs. :-)

The website is very nice. I really like clean, simple designs!

Are you planning to add a gallery of before/after photos? The Townsend I just sent in should show a pretty marked difference in line width, so it would be cool to post close up before/after nib photos next to their corresponding writing samples... I think that would be interesting for both nib grinding and tuning jobs. :-)

This is something I would like to do, but my camera lens is not good enough to get much of the close-up detail. The nib shots on this page are the best I can do with my current equipment.

Buy macro camera lens, or buy new fountain pen. Hmmmmm....

I do like your idea and I'll give it a try with what I have.

Buy macro camera lens, or buy new fountain pen. Hmmmmm....

You can opt for macro extension tubes. Set of two third-party tubes, auto-focus ready, will set you back about 40 bucks. Manual-only set costs even less. The tubes are light, compact and fun to use.

Practice, patience, perseverance

This is something I would like to do, but my camera lens is not good enough to get much of the close-up detail. The nib shots on this page are the best I can do with my current equipment.

The shot of the top of the nib looks pretty good for what I was suggesting. Of course a super fancy macro lens would be even nicer, but I understand the lens-or-pen dilemma! haha

I wonder if taking photos through an actual magnifying glass would work? That's something I've never tried. I may have to go buy a magnifying glass now...

I wonder if taking photos through an actual magnifying glass would work? That's something I've never tried. I may have to go buy a magnifying glass now...

Right on the spot! Now I remember some really amazing nib shots published by a fellow FPNer who used a smartphone and cheap magnifying glass. Never tried it. Probably I should...

Practice, patience, perseverance