How Many Pens Do You Keep Inked At One Time?

Fountainpenfanatic2016

Hi,

I keep my daily office writer ready to go, refilling at the end of a work day. If I need to use other ink colours and/or very narrow nibs on duty, the Estie J and/or Pilot Penmanships help me grind more grist for the mill. When in the field, my back-up pen is flushed with fresh ink on a daily basis even if it hasn't been used.

For my personal writing I choose the ink+pen+paper combo on a per document basis, and sometimes write that pen dry as a casual carry: beach bag pen

Then there's a Plumix laden with iron-gall ink which is used for random jotting and envelopes, plus serving as a test bed to see if I-G does nasty things to a pen.

Overall I prefer that my pens be either full of fresh ink or clean dry and ready to welcome whatever ink I choose next.

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jar

• Freddy

• praxim

• ethernautrix

I usually have two pens inked, one for use at work, and one for use at home. I will fill a third if I have a practical need, for example to draw a diagram that requires both a base color and a contrasting color.

Pens not in daily use are empty and flushed.

Well... only two Nakayas presently.

Both with the same ink cos of nib differences (I like one finer, one broader).

And because of that, had to bring in the Mb 100-Year, which had been warming the bench for close to two seasons. It's like getting a new pen -- and the Platinum Blue-Black looks amazing from this nib (which I wonkified to perfection).

Then the Pilot Falcon (SEF) and a vintage, of course - a WASP with a delightful Sheaffer FeatherTouch nib (KWZI niebieski galusowy #3 is gorgeous from this nib).

And a handful of cheapies (Preppies, Schneiders, coupla others) for colors I don't use often but like to have at the ready.

So... three that I keep within reach at all times and the rest that can talk amongst themselves at home when I'm out.

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

I have a pen roll that accommodates 5 pens, so never any more than that. I usually try for a mix of manufacturers and filler types.

Usually eight. With more calligraphy nibs, I have to rethink my inking habits ;)

Practice, patience, perseverance

Today:

Parker 51

Montblanc 146

Franklin Christoph Pocket 66

Edison Glenmont

Platinum 3776

Jinhao 159

Kaweco Classic Sport

Man! That's way too many! Will have to flush out a few....

I usually have one inked on each floor of my house for convenience: three pens. I carry a ballpoint around, because the click top Pelikan K400 or Parker Jotter is more convenient on the go.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

For today I've got 5 inked atm:

Lamy Safari M - my mix that is a bit lighter than KWZ Honey

MB146 OM - MB blue hour

Nakaya portable writer F - LV Or audacieux

Sailor Realo F - Sailor Kobe #21 Taisanji yellow

Twsbi 580 1.1 - Tsuki-yo

Regards,

Simar

"Be the change you want to see in the world." -- Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi

I try not to have more than four at once. Today those are:

TWSBI Diamond 580 (F), Iroshizuku Tsuki-yo

Pilot Metropolitan (M), PR Sherwood Green

Sheaffer Snorkel (F), J. Herbin Poussiere de Lune

Esterbrook desk pen (1551) that I just got from goodpens in a generous PIF, inked with Noodler's Rattler Red.

Three at the office:

Lamy Studio Blue 1.1 - Diamine Sargasso Sea

Lamy Studio Steel F - Diamine Oxblood

Lamy Studio Black EF - Sailor Kiwa-Guro

Four at home:

Pelikan M800 EF - J Herbin Lie de The

Pelikan M805 0.3 - Sailor Blue-Black

Pilot CH 912 SF - Waterman Blue

Pilot C 742 SU - Diamine Macassar

bayesianprior.png

Usually four, but right now six.

I have a modern MB 146 Fine with Permanent Blue for envelopes and checks. A mid fifties MB 149 Fine for writing my manifesto. A Conid Minimalistica with an Extra Fine or Medium, (both Titanium), for most of my every day writing. A Stipula Passporto with a 0.9 italic, this pen is just too much fun to write with and too easy to take out of the house without worrying abut it. A Pelikan M 600 Extra Fine, (this is usually swapped out with one of my Esterbrooks for rotation). And a Fifties Piston filler 144 that I think I may have some sort of skipping issue with, so it's on the desk to use for now until I figure it out.

The pen, of my collection, in current rotation. A Parker 45 is my constant companion. A simple pen (Sheaffer school pen, HERO 266, or a wet Jinhao) loaded with bulletproof ink for labels and addresses.

THREE.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Usually one in my pocket, and 4-6 at the office in a desk holder. I try and clean my pens at least once a month, and use each one a few times a week.

Currently

Pocket: Pilot Stella 90S

Desk; Montblanc 149, Delta Dolcevita, Pelikan M800, Vintage Parker Vacumatic

Depends. When I was on vacation a couple of weeks ago I had seven with me. That didn't count stuff like the brush pens (which have highlighter inks in them), and which I didn't bring with me.

The number fluctuates by whether or not I have a recent batch of samples to try out.... But when the "in rotation" lists gets unwieldy, I put myself on a regimen of not inking anything else until I get some pens flushed -- two or three for every one that gets either refilled or filled up.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

6 inked in the leather case - all different colors of ink, of course.

A Kaweco BrassSport in my jeans pocket as a beater to take meeting notes. It writes as well as anything.

"how do I know what I think until I write it down?"

I have a three pen case, so I try to stay at three carried to work.

Pilot CH92 - my workhorse, right now it has Kon-Peki (was going to use Tuski-Yo all week but I've admitted to myself I like blue) sigh.

Pilot Falcon - Tsuyu-Kusa (I think this ink is underrated, I experiment inks with this pen)

Pilot Metro - MB Permanent Blue (I think I will dedicate this pen to this ink)

I have a three pen case, so I try to stay at three carried to work.

Pilot CH92 - my workhorse, right now it has Kon-Peki (was going to use Tuski-Yo all week but I've admitted to myself I like blue) sigh.

Pilot Falcon - Tsuyu-Kusa (I think this ink is underrated, I experiment inks with this pen)

Pilot Metro - MB Permanent Blue (I think I will dedicate this pen to this ink)

Hi,

I consider tsuyu-kusa one of the best inks for telling jokes :)

So glad that you take it to work!

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

My MB 149, 146, a black Estie, 3 TWSBI Eco,s with various nibs, an Osmiroid 65 with a medium Italic nib, my wifes TWSBI 580 into which I have sneaked an EF nib, a no name clipless Indian ebonite eyedropper a Varuna ebonite eyedropper, a Parker61, a Parker 51 I restored last week with a new breather tube, my work Parker 51 Vac EDC , a couple of Sailor 1911s, and a Noodlers Konrad- phew !!

Tony