How Many Pens Do You Keep Inked At One Time?

Fountainpenfanatic2016

I'm just getting into fountain pens,and was wondering how many pens everyone keeps inked for action at one time.

And also how long can I reasonably keep a pen inked for ?

How often do you use each of your inked pens?

Thanks for your help and information

My current roster:

Twsby diamond 580 eXtra fine nib

Pilot Metropolitan fine nib

Cross Bailey medium nib

Pilot varsity medium nib

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jar

• Freddy

• praxim

• inkstainedruth

Usually around 9 lately. Currently 11, down from 12, as of a few hours ago when I cleaned up & put away a P1. All of my inked up pens get used at least every other day. If I find myself not using a pen too much longer than that, I evaluate my need to keep it inked & either put it back into use or clean it up for storage.

How long a pen *should* stay inked depends on the pen. Some pens seal better than others, see more use than others, etc. I've had pens continuously in use since I got them months or years ago, but of course they get refilled & flushed if they're getting a different ink.

On average, 3...with blue, black and red ink...in a 3 pen Visconti case. I flush and refill every Sunday evening. All 3 pens are used on a daily basis.

Parker 51 Aero - Broad Stub

Esterbrook J [2284]

Scriptorium Bespoke Pen - Broad Stub

Three to five, most often three or four. I usually exercise three a day, because they are there.

X

It's about 8-10 right now. Have had nearly double that at times.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

The Waterman 32 ran out an hour ago so I am down to three. One more and I will ink three new, all of which will be untried previously (as inked rather than dipped) :). Basically, I am after at least one of each classical major colour, or in the same paddock, and prefer one fine nib among the mediums I commonly use. More pens than five I would feel I would take too long to exhaust.

That is my own balancing act. What is yours (asking generally)?

X

I categorize pens into two groups:

Handwriting pens:

I try to keep no more than three inked pens in this group. Currently I've culled this population down to one.

Italic Calligraphy pens:

I've used to keep up to four inked pens. ie. 1.3, 1.6, 2.0 & 2.4 mm italic nibs. But currently I've got it down to single pen: 3.8 mm Pilot Parallel, at the same time I've switched to practice with dip pens.

Edited by ksm

That is my own balancing act. What is yours (asking generally)?

Generally, 3 pens for my edc. These used to be a fine, a medium, & a 1mm stub 51, but a bit back went to a fine & medium 51 accompanied by a medium M200. Then, idealy 3-6 other pens with stubs &/or italic nibs of various sizes, but I've ended up with a few strays that have ended up occupying single sleeves because I don't have any other pouches to contain them. My only guideline wrt ink is that I don't like having multiples filled with the same color unless it looks drastically diferent from one pen to the next, as has been the case a couple of times.

Up to six pens for general writing, equivalent to the number of slots in my desk drawer. Currently five in the rotation because I'm expecting a new pen next week.

This number does not include some specialty and utility pens that are almost always inked: Pilot Parallel, Staedtler MarsMatic, Charlie, Preppy.

All the general writing pens get used daily for - you guessed it - general writing, though not necessarily extended writing.

It may take days or weeks to write a pen dry before refilling or taking it out of rotation. Some have been inked for months with no ill effect. The Preppy has lasted almost a year. Noodler's pens are prone evaporation, though.

Edited by catbert

I used to have an embarassing number of inked up pens, but then went on a quest to write them all down to empty... Now I have 4 pens inked up - three at work in different colours (different aspects of notes / orders) and one at home. If I "ink up" another pen, it will likely involve switching the cartridge from my current ones into the next pen - there is something oddly satisfying about getting to the bottom of an ink tank.

I have six inked at the moment. But am trying this new 'system'.

I use my pens mostly for my bullet journal. I write with italics or stubs most times. I always have two italics or stubs inked; one is the main I'm using and the other is a backup for when I run dry in the middle of something. Apart from this I have one fine nib pen inked for when the italic/stub is not convenient (like when I need to draw something or write on crappy paper). My fourth 'system' pen is a pocket pen, a Kaweco sport with M nib for times when I'm without my journal/pen and need to write something.

I use the same color on all pens for a week and then change to a different color during the weekend. I find that this helps me fidning stuff quickly in my journal if I know more or less how many weeks back I need to look. All four pens are inked in the 'current week's' color.

There are always the odd 'non-system' pens/inks that creep up, but at some point I'll straighten up.

Matias

Edited by mcorrea

I have anywhere from 4 to 10 inked at a time. I usually keep a permanent black ink, a red ink, an blue ink, and a green ink. Then, I throw in ink and pen combos that I feel like trying, so I might have a stub with a shading ink or trying out a new permanent in a fine. I keep red in my Platinum 3776 that never seems to dry out. I have a Prera near my computer at home for making notes loaded with Pilot Blue-Black or Black. Seems I can never get down to just three or four!

Favorite pen/ink pairings: Edison Brockton w/EF 14K gold nib and Noodler's 54th Massachusetts; Visconti Pinanfarina w/EF chromium conical nib and Noodler's El Lawrence; Sheaffer Legacy w/18k extra fine inlaid nib and Noodler's Black; Sheaffer PFM III fine w/14k inlaid nib and Noodler's Black; Lamy 2000 EF with Noodler's 54th Massachusetts; Franklin Christoph 65 Stablis w/steel Masuyama fine cursive italic and DeAtramentis Document Blue; Pilot Decimo w/18k fine nib and Pilot Blue Black; Franklin Christoph 45 w/steel Masuyama fine cursive italic and Noodler's Zhivago; Edison Brockton EF and Noodler's El Lawrence; TWSBI ECO EF with Noodler's Bad Green Gator.

Today it is seven:

At the office:

Pelikan 120 desk set

Lamy 2000

EDC:

Pelikan 205

Parker 51

At home:

MB 149

MB 146

Pelikan 805