Best Heavier Fountain Pen For A Rookie

Quantumchaos

Hello All,

I am looking for a heavier fountain pen and wanted opinions on what would be a good choice for someone early in this hobby.

Thanks Again

Matt

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• shawndp

• ksm

• Quantumchaos

• dogpoet

Top Posters In This Topic

Jinhao 159. Big, heavy, smooth-writing and, best of all, inexpensive.

Chinese pens can really be hit or miss in terms of quality control and I was not a fan of them for a long time, then, because of all the good reviews I read here on the FPN, I decided to take another chance on one and was very happy that I did. Here's a slightly over enthusiastic post I wrote after receiving my 1st Jinhao 159. I bought a 2nd one about a month later just to use with Bay State Blue and the 2nd one also writes well.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/309610-big-smooth-jinhao-159/

Edited by Maurizio

The prizes of life are never to be had without trouble - Horace
Kind words do not cost much, yet they accomplish much - Pascal

You are never too old to set a new goal or dream a new dream - C.S. Lewis

Favorite shop:https://www.fountainpenhospital.com

Something from MrPen.co.uk... I am partial to the Parson's Essential, but they have several wonderful pens with an almost mind-numbing selection of nibs. It is the sort of pen you can buy as a rookie and enjoy even as a more experienced writer. The low value of the GBP makes it an especially attractive buy. All the best!

I found the Parker IM a nice pen, but too heavy for me. I prefer my pens below 20 grams, better yet below 15 grams. At about $20-25 street price, the IM is a good pen to start with.

The only catch is the pen comes with a Medium nib. If you do not like the Medium nib, you have 28 days, from date of purchase, to contact Parker and send it in to do a nib swap to a Fine. I do not know if a Broad is available for that pen. I swapped my M nib for a F nib.

I used my IM with Waterman blue ink, and it wrote just fine.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Heavy is a matter of perception. I consider any pen above 25 grams to be heavy, others place the limit on 30 grams or even higher.

If you want middle weight pen, then consider:

• Pilot Metropolitan, it is 26 grams + converter.

If you want heavy weight pen, then go for Chinese pens or choose:

• Fabre-Castell Basic Metal, it is 43 grams when posted.

You haven't given any price info so I'll toss out the Faber Castell E-Motion.

Weighs 57 grams, 34 grams for just the body (which is how you'll write - you really don't want to post this pen as it is very top heavy if you do) and is super cool!

It's not cheap and not what one would consider and entry level type pen though - but it's heavy!

You haven't given any price info so I'll toss out the Faber Castell E-Motion.

Weighs 57 grams, 34 grams for just the body (which is how you'll write - you really don't want to post this pen as it is very top heavy if you do) and is super cool!

It's not cheap and not what one would consider and entry level type pen though - but it's heavy!

I have two of these pens and they are excellent writers!

When you start a new hobby, finding the right equipment is a challenge. The temptation to go for the highest-end equipment you can afford is powerful. The critical responsibility, however, is to find the right equipment for you.

Writing is a personal experience and consists of four major parts: the pen, the paper, the ink, and the writer. As you start this hobby, you should consider all aspects of the writing experience.

You asked for a heavy pen. In general, the pens made with different metals are going to be heavier. I could recommend the Pilot Vanishing Point as a heavy pen, but it's also very thick. Some people don't like the clip location.

You may be thinking of a thick pen to fit comfortably in your grip. You can find thick pens that are also lightweight and balanced.

The best advice I can give is to try some fountain pens. Write a few paragraphs with them, feel how they balance and fit into your hand. Then you can come back, and we'll discuss the other three parts of writing with fountain pens!

Buzz

My heaviest pens, both currently inked, are both made of copper. The Tactile Turn Gist with titanium nib weighs in at about 76 grams. The Karas Kustoms Ink weighs in at about 121 grams. The latter is a bit heavy for a shirt pocket.

Thanks for all the replies, there is so much to consider :) My price range is $200 or less and it seems like a fun yet endless adventure just looking at all the options haha.

Personally, 30 grams is the upper end for me. I have one at that point. A Levenger True Writer Silver Anniversary. While the Silver Anniversary is no longer available except possibly through secondary markets, they do have at least one pen in the line that has a similar heft and size.

I tried the Jinhao 159 - mine didn't write well, but the heft (>50 grams) and size were just more than I liked. A Parker 45 Flighter is in the low to mid 20's is made with stainless steel and is a nice pen. Every one I have had (3) have been terrific pens. You may be able to find one as NOS but will pay a little more ($50-$75), but you can get a used one for $30 or less.

What I discovered is that I actually prefer lighter pens. My favorite pens seem to be in the under 20 gram range - especially for extended sessions. Examples are the Pelikan M2xx, M4xx, M6xx. The M8xx checks in at 28 grams and the M1000 at 32 grams.

The Lamy Al Star with its aluminum body is in the low 20's if I recall correctly. The TWSBI 580 I believe weighs in around 25 grams(+/-). I use mine a lot. It is one of of about four to six pens that are inked continuously.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

I agree with ac12, the IM is a great one, it's still my daily carry pen after over 2 years of having it.. it has a good weight to it, sturdy and very smooth for the price

Hi,

Hmm...

My first FP was a Parker Sonnet, which I still use as a daily office writer. Clearly that represents some kind of norm, so when I do personal writing with a smaller/larger heavier/lighter pen I need to adapt. (I use the rotring 600 in the field, but it is an ergonomic nightmare for long-haul writing - pass me a quill.)

The pen must be well-balanced, and one needs to develop a suitable comfy manner of holding the pen in your welcoming hand.

I strongly suggest a pen that has a long slightly tapered section along which the balance point can be found. Sometimes I have a problem with pens such as the very popular Pilot Metro - I want to grasp it higher, but the step down is too intrusive.

Within your cost constraint, of pens I use and adore are the Waterman Carene, Parker's 75, Sonnet & 45 flighter, and the Ooo-LaLa Waverley nib Sheaffer 444 and Targa deserve consideration.

Oh, I still can't figure-out what makes Heavy Metal music attractive. (?)

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

Jinhao. Try one from Goulet Pens, they seem to have tinkered with them to make them write well. Well worth it and still a bargain.

It's for Yew!bastardchildlil.jpg

My first fountain pen was a Waterman Carene. It's solid, and heavy enough that I don't post the cap when I use it.

Not as expensive as some, but more expensive than others, it's a really sweet pen, plus it looks really good.

Currently inked with Lamy Blue.

Tom

Waterman Ideal - blue ink; Esterbrook 2048 - brown ink; Waterman Carene - black ink

http://i648.photobucket.com/albums/uu204/CrazyVacationer/Pens/collection_sm.jpg

From Mr Pen's range you've got two options. The Parson's Essential and the Captain's Commission which is heavier still. Both pens come with a range of beautiful nib options.

The Diplomat Excellence A is also a good one to consider. It is all metal and as such is heavier than most pens.

Another vote for the Jinhao: you can get three of those for the same money as the next cheapest pen listed above, and they're excellent writers even beyond the cheapskate factor. Unless you get a bum one (I haven't yet, but it happens) you've got a buttery smooth nib in a very solid-feeling body with some weight to it.