For Those Using Parker 51 Aero As Daily Driver?

francoamerican

I'm intrigued by the parker 51 and am thinking about picking a "restored" grade ~$150 aeromatic. Any key pieces of advice? Will i be able to use this as a daily writer with modern inks and no too many other concerns.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pajaro

• mitto

• francoamerican

• inkstainedruth

I've used a variety of inks in my Plum Demi Aero. About the only ink I haven't put in it is Noodler's Bay State Blue, simply because it is so alkaline. While I'm pretty OCD about flushing pens out, the 51 collector makes it more difficult to know if I've really got everything out. So I would either not use that ink in a 51, or using *only* BSB. I would also avoid any inks that have a tendency to be cloggy if not in an EDC pen.

Oh, and Sailor Jentle Sky High stained a brand new pliglass sac in my Teal Aero.

Just looked at my ink combo notebooks. The Teal Aero has had Sky High, J Herbin Eclat de Saphir, vintage Quink Permanent Brown and Noodler's Midnight Blue in it at various times. The Noodler's was a "maybe/maybe not" -- the others were yes (even with the staining from Sky High).

The Plummer has had (besides boring old [modern] Quink Black) Waterman Mysterious Blue, Diamine Eclipse, Noodler's Purple Heart, PR Ebony Purple, Diamine Tyrian Purple, vintage Quink Violet, (most recently) Iroshihzuku Ama-Iro. The only one I had problems with was Ebony Purple -- it got cloggy in a couple of days. Mind you, some of the others were fairly wet in that pen.

The Burgundy Aero has only seen Quink Black -- but that was because I only recently got a correct cap for it (it had the cap for a Parker Frontier on it when I bought it, and was *labelled* as a Frontier in the antiques mall where I got it).

The black Aero with the EF nib has been languishing until such a time I can pin my husband down to actually try it (I bought it for him originally, because of the nib; he liked writing with the Burgundy Aero except it was too broad a nib for his tastes -- he's Mr. BIC fine point, but I keep attempting to convert him...).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I have a 51 aero desk pen with PR DC SuperShow blue. It has been inked continuously with that ink for at least 3 years, and is working just fine.

The one caution I have is, do NOT expect to change inks often. The 51 can be a PiA to clean for an ink change, especially if you used a saturated ink, like I do. So the ink you use in the pen, should be a long term ink. And do try to clean the pen every few months.

The second caution is, if you use red or purple ink, DO NOT LET THE PEN DRY OUT. In my experience, dried red and purple ink have been the hardest color inks to clean out of a 51. Red was the worst.

Good pen.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Yes... changing inks can be a HUGE hassle on the 51s, especially the VACs. I have one filled with KWX Irongall and its one of my favorite pens if not my favorite and its been liek that for a bit, no clogging issues etc etc.

I would really love to get my hands on one of those salad spinner things people were making years ago because they seem like they would make cleaning them out significantly easier.

I have 2 Parker 51s Aeros, both from 1950. I use both daily, and they have been in constant use since 2000 or so since I got both of them. I fill them with either Aurora Blue, or Pelikan 4001, or Waterman Serenity Blue or Parker Quink inks. Very smooth nibs, and also very reliable pens. You wont be unhappy if you adopt a Aero Parker 51 as your daily user pen.

Remember, in the 1940s and 1950s, a lot of people used the P51 as their daily user pens, and they werent "pen collectors" like us people on FPN. They owned just one or two pens, that they used and put to work every day. And the Parker 51 was a pen designed and built for those challenges.

The 51 is still one of the best pens around. I have four of them as daily writers at the office plus a desk version at home, always inked and always a joy to use. None has been inked with BSB but I used Akkerman Diep-duinwaterblauw (an iron gall ink that gave some trouble with a Pilot Capless) in my teal 51 without any problems.

I use Parker "51s" as my EDC, and they are rugged and reliable writers. I've used iron galls, botique inks, and vintage-friendly inks in my areos. I've settled on Iroshizuku Asa Gao as my signature ink, and I've enjoyed the writing experience with this ink out of my favorite "51s".

I keep an ink log and have built a trend to go back to the same inks in the same pens even after flushing and storing. This simple task keeps things simple and easy in using my fountain pens.

I recommend caution if you are using "51" vacs. The diaphragm requires more consideration when filling with inks. I now only use Sheaffer, Waterman, Parker, and Mont Blanc inks in my vacs (to include the original vacs).

Definitely use your "51" as an EDC. In your price range, you will have many options for a restored pen.

Buzz

I now own around eighty 51s and the bulk of my 51s are earos.

Four are inked right at the moment. I cant imagine going without my 51s. So the 51 is definitely my EDC. I use Quink and Waterman ink in my 51s.

Edited by mitto

Khan M. Ilyas

For all of my P51's I use Parker ink that is vintage. All the vintage ink I keep picking up I might as well use it. Just look at my avatar which is an ink display with full bottles of ink in boxes. These will the last bottles I would use if ever [ trying to fill the display with full bottles. ]

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f239/Jotteraddict62/001_zpsniaprg2c.jpg

I have several Parker 51s, mainly aerometric 51s. These pens are nearly indestructible. Ones I have had from new still going as long as 46 years without a problem. Hard to believe so much time has gone by and my first one works so delightfully still.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

I have several Parker 51s, mainly aerometric 51s. These pens are nearly indestructible. Ones I have had from new still going as long as 46 years without a problem. Hard to believe so much time has gone by and my first one works so delightfully still.

Thanks all - so it sounds like modern fountain pen ink should be OK - particularly nothing too esoteric (and some NOS Quink should be fun too!.)

Do you end up often choosing your "51s" over modern counterparts to use as "real" tools then?!?

I use a P51 aero as an edc and have since the 80's. I usually have Aurora Black or Parker Penman Sapphire in it, but have used assorted other inks as well without a problem. I would always choose to use a 51 over any modern pen I have. It's a real workhorse and well worth the money, as well as one of the best writers I own.

A couple of years ago I was a modern pen guy and then one day I woke up and wanted a Parker 51, out of the blue. I was never interested in vintage pens (I thought). So I did some research and got amazing help from Bruce (OkalaFla guy) here on FPN and decided since I like smaller pens that I would get a 51 Aero demi. I have a ...few now and it is all that I use. One is always in my pocket whenever I leave the house and it is the pen I have looked my whole life for. Writes like a dream and has never disappointed...

Enjoy your search and your pen when you get one! (or three) :)

Octatonic

A couple of years ago I was a modern pen guy and then one day I woke up and wanted a Parker 51, out of the blue. I was never interested in vintage pens (I thought). So I did some research and got amazing help from Bruce (OkalaFla guy) here on FPN and decided since I like smaller pens that I would get a 51 Aero demi. I have a ...few now and it is all that I use. One is always in my pocket whenever I leave the house and it is the pen I have looked my whole life for. Writes like a dream and has never disappointed...

Enjoy your search and your pen when you get one! (or three) :)

Because Parker 51s were still sold until after I got out of college and bought one, I have never been able to visualize a Parker 51 as a vintage pen. They are much more modern looking than my other favorite pen, the Montblanc 144, which looks like something from 1890. I went along for years buying 51s, just washing them up and filling them to test. I fixed some with chipped shell points with Kullock colorful barrel and shell kits. All the other pens I have tried are in pen cups and trays.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."

Thanks all - so it sounds like modern fountain pen ink should be OK - particularly nothing too esoteric (and some NOS Quink should be fun too!.)

Do you end up often choosing your "51s" over modern counterparts to use as "real" tools then?!?

I use the 51s except maybe for the plum colored set, because plum colored body parts are hard to find in case of damage. The modern pens are gathering dust, and I am starting to sell them. The 51 is clearly a better pen than almost any other. Pelikans are as good, but I don't like the antediluvian styling of Pelikan.

Pelikans are as good, but I don't like the antediluvian styling of Pelikan.

Heh... :D I use my Pelikans (Post WWII 100N & 140) mostly for flex. But they do face very fierce competition for the top spot from Aerometric 51s (both in use and collecting). I have actually pretty much concentrated my collecting efforts around those three, they are most excellent pens.

Edited by mana

I used my Plum 51 today to sign, exactly at 1632 hrs, the receiving of the Possession Letter of a 500 square yard residential plot in a most modern housing project in the suberbs of Islamabad - the capital. I paid for this piece of land in installments during the last 09 years. This plum 51 has now (a good?) history.

I am also planning to use the same pen, in the next few weeks, for the documentation of another 500 square yard residential plot offfered, on nominal prices, by the Federal Government Employees Housing Foundation (Ministry of Housing & Works) to top Govt functionaries - serving as well retired - as per their seniority, in Islamabad for which I have already received the offer letter.

Khan M. Ilyas

Heh... :D I use my Pelikans (Post WWII 100N & 140) mostly for flex. But they do face very fierce competition for the top spot from Aerometric 51s (both in use and collecting). I have actually pretty much concentrated my collecting efforts around those three, they are most excellent pens.

You can't complain about Pelikans functioning. I have left my M400 White Tortoise inked for about a year, and it writes with no hard start. They are hard to beat. After a few years I found the styling somehow square shaped and too like very old fountain pens. I like the 51 style more.

I used my Plum 51 today to sign, exactly at 1632 hrs, the receiving of the Possession Letter of a 500 square yard residential plot in a most modern housing project in the suberbs of Islamabad - the capital. I paid for this piece of land in installments during the last 09 years. This plum 51 has now (a good?) history.

I am also planning to use the same pen, in the next few weeks, for the documentation of another 500 square yard residential plot offfered, on nominal prices, by the Federal Government Employees Housing Foundation (Ministry of Housing & Works) to top Govt functionaries - serving as well retired - as per their seniority, in Islamabad for which I have already received the offer letter.

I sought a plum pen for years, losing on many auctions. I finally got one. I have become somehow clumsy in the last few years, and I have dropped and broken plastic parts on a few 51s, including my all yellow 51. It is hard to find the shell or hood for a plum 51. So, this one is to look at.

I sought a plum pen for years, losing on many auctions. I finally got one. I have become somehow clumsy in the last few years, and I have dropped and broken plastic parts on a few 51s, including my all yellow 51. It is hard to find the shell or hood for a plum 51. So, this one is to look at.

I agree. I wouldn't be taking out the plum except for such exceptional occasions. Thsnk you for the good advice.

Khan M. Ilyas