There Is Not A Must Have But A Want

Inky.Fingers

How many days and times do I spend searching and reading about fountain pen?

I often wonder how many pens do I need? How many I must have to do my penmanship?

But it seems that it is the "I WANT" that pen that made the purchase. It is not a must have

and certainly a needed pen.

Impulsiveness or what? getting me to buy a Waterman Serenite for the "I WANT", even when the reviews differ on

the nib is a piece of JUNK.

What do you do when you encounter a "I WANT" and not necessarily a "NEED" or "MUST HAVE".

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Inky.Fingers

• maus930

• ISW_Kaputnik

• pararis

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, wants can change. I currently don't want any specific new pens or inks. I don't want any more paper, and probably won't until I'm within sight of running out.

But I wanted to turn a nib on a pen that I have into some that I'll want to write with. So I've sent it out to a nibmeister. If I like it when I get it back, I may want to have him modify another nib; we'll see.

I want to complete fixing as many of the old "project" pens I have sitting around as I can. There's one that I have doubts about; I may want to send it out.

I want someday to find something remarkable at a flea market at a bargain price. I went to our local flea market this morning, and one fellow did have perhaps ten fountain pens, a bunch of third tier junk that didn't speak to me, plus a Sheaffer School Pen that would have been okay with a good cleaning. But I want to find something better.

I don't need any of this. I have an interesting collection, and pens that write as well as I can appreciate at my level of skill. If I'd stopped at "need", with the most generous interpretation of that, I wouldn't have bought any pens ink or paper in maybe the last four years.

"So convenient a thing it is to be a reasonable creature, since it enables one to find or make a reason for everything one has a mind to do."

- Benjamin Franklin

+1 With everything listed.

And I have made headway to "fixing" project... I had this Shaeffer Triumph nib that I couldnt' take out much until today. LOVING IT.

28479896213_9c2b8bb490.jpg

Edited by _InkyFingers

+1 to everyone else....

After all, we all need water and nutrition. Safe place to rest and seasonally- appropriate clothes would be nice.

Beyond that... no one "needs" to write or read. No one "needs" a good penmanship. No one certainly don't "need" fountain pens.

It is all about quality of life, whatever it means to you. Different people are drawn to fountain pens or whatever for different reasons. Some like the aesthetic of the pens themselves, some like the writing experience, some like the colors, some like prestige, or whatever. If certain pens enrich your experience of being alive (again- in the sense of whatever it means to you) and if you can afford it, why not indulge??!!

I bought a lot of pens because I "wanted" them, after a couple of years I have discovered I use probably 1/2 of the ones I have, for varied reasons. I replaced that want for INK; I suspect that will travel a similar route. I have moderated purchase of pens, trimmed down my want/acquisition of inks & probably will acquire fewer of themas time goes along.

Paper seems to have developed a greater importance for me of late; received 4 kinds, new to me this week & yesterday ordered a different notebook I saw reviewed here.

I just had an eye examination & after a good report celebrated,with two new pairs of reading glasses & a pair of prescription sunglasses, so barring a heart attack I can probably continue to "read" about these things I am enjoying here & "perhaps" moderate acquiring same.

Or maybe NOT.........I always remember that admonition from Auntie Mame," Life is a banquet & so many poor suckers are starving to death, "perhaps I remember Patrick Dennis expressing it, a "bit" differently..... BUT I surely do NOT want to STARVE!

I decided to ink and use every one of my Esterbrook fountain pens, in this rotation. Twenty pens will require about six months. The Parkers will feel abandoned.

I am an old-fashion American. NEED has nothing to do with fountain pens.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !