You Know You Are A Fountain Pen Addict When...

requiescat

...you pack to possibly-evacuate the night before actually evacuating due to flood (I'm paranoid and can have essential irreplaceables ready to go in fifteen minutes) and that includes shucking all the fountain pens in your backpack.

Also, I am suddenly much more in favor of cartridges than I used to be. If I didn't have so many vintage pens that I love and don't want to give up, I would switch over to c/c entirely. When you are evacuating, cartridges are waaaaaaay more convenient to deal with. :P

(I live in Baton Rouge--rental home flooded, but we got out okay. I hope anyone else in the region made it okay.)

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tamiya

• requiescat

• inkstainedruth

• SpecTP

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

When all your fountain pens won't fit in your luggage when you are evacuating from a hurricane, your stamp collection, your coin collection et alia have filled the bags up.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

When you need to spend a few more dollars on your online order to get a $5.00 discount and you buy a $12.00 bottle ink (in a brand and color you already have).

May we live, not by our fears but by our hopes; not by our words but by our deeds; not by our disappointments but by our dreams.

There is no such creature as a "fountain pen" addict. I certainly would not be one. I would have no problem getting by with just one fountain pen, or two. (Okay. I'm beginning to sweat.) Ever wonder how sweat affects the viscosity of Bay State Blue ? Am I the only one with a sweat-collection bottle ?

So, which vintage pens do you have ?

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

When you see that on a new pen and send it back to the seller for replacement.

post-29758-0-94002500-1471662720_thumb.png

Edited by marcelo

When you see that on a new pen and send it back to the seller for replacement.

That's not being a pen addict. That's just being OCD. Being an addict would be buying a second (identical) pen so you can have one that stays at home being kept safe from further damage.

Actually, being a pen addict would be to buy multiples of the same pen brand and model (maybe in different colors and/or nib widths, because you liked the first one so much...). Not that I would know anything about that, mind you.... :blush:

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Hello. My name is David (Estie). I am a fountain pen addict and I am not seeking a cure.

I hope and pray that all is well with you and yours. Being from an area that is extremely dry, it is hard to imagine too much rain. God Bless you and yours and keep you and yours safe.

-David (Estie).

No matter how much you push the envelope, it will still be stationery. -Anon.

A backward poet writes inverse. -Anon.

Godspeed to you and yours.

You are definitely an addict if you skip out on family events to spend time answering posts on FPN!

Buzz

Yikes, need to reassess my earthquake plan... It's about time for another big one. If the volcano doesn't get us first.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

There is no such creature as a "fountain pen" addict. I certainly would not be one. I would have no problem getting by with just one fountain pen, or two. (Okay. I'm beginning to sweat.) Ever wonder how sweat affects the viscosity of Bay State Blue ? Am I the only one with a sweat-collection bottle ?

So, which vintage pens do you have ?

I have green, gray, and red Esterbrook SJs; a wet noodle Waterman 52V; a flexy Waterman Lady Patricia; a Parker Vacumatic in azure pearl; an unusable Parker Vacumatic in red pearl (the cap has a lip crack and I'm afraid it'll get worse if I use it); a Webster Four-Star (it was apparently the Sears brand pen); an Osmia 64 in Grey Candy. They're lovely pens! But this bottled ink thing during an evacuation, eep. (I did not bother evacuating the ink when we fled, although I saved some of it, including the two bottles of Montblanc Alfred Hitchcock, when we came back for salvage.)

Thanks to folks for the good wishes, and I hope everyone's safe.

...when your holiday souvenirs include coloured water in cardboard boxed little glass bottles :)

When you already have 4 pens inked and head out on a month long business trip and bring along 6 extras, just in case something happens, along with 4 15ml Nalgene bottles of ink and a half a dozen cartridges. Wouldn't want to be relegated to a ballpoint for 3 weeks.

When the Olympic have started and ended and you were online bidding for a pen that managed to escape you for the entire 16 days! And you didn't know about the Olympic!

BTW who had the most metal?

A Chinese pen or the Sheaffer Sovereign?

Edited by _InkyFingers

Apparently I've found the right meeting.

I haven't done this with pens yet (won't talk about cameras) but when you find the little flaw you don't bid on a safe queen you bid on another user that isn't blemished in the same place... heck, I know I can swap those parts out, right?

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." -Pablo Picasso

You know your a Pen Addict when you ..............

1. When you have something important to write but you forget that and start adoring your pen, think of ink flow, realise it has small scratch or think of the time when you bought it!

2. When you remember the 'date' when you got each and every pen you have!

3. When you have more pens on your table than clothes in your wardrobe!

4. When you "save money each month" bit by bit to buy that pen you have laid your sight on!

5. When your family members shout and scream for spending more time with pens than them!

6. When you realise that when you hold a pen,the only line you can every remember in your life is "the quick brown fox jumps......" !!!

7. When you forget your meals so engrossed working with your pens!

8. When you actually like your hands, table, clothes splashed with ink all over and smile on seeing it ! (...and family / friends upset seeing the mess!)

9. When you are moving to a new place, you pack your pens more carefully than that expensive vase!

10. When you are travelling you check your pen more often than your wallet!

11. When you go online checking for your college research notes but end up researching on pens!

12. When you suddenly realise you had a hot cup on tea on your table which went cold hours back!

13. When you are writing and there is a power cut, you light up a candle and continue writing!

14. When you find someone asking for your pen and stare at them like they are asking for your soul !!!!

15. When you feel like you have achieved salvation when you work on assembling a pen all day and find its just the thing you ever wanted in your life !

16. When you realise you love the scent of the ink more than a perfume !

17. When you get up in morning and find you feel asleep holding the pen in your hand !

18. When you find your friends showing their new iPhone and you think 'what a waste of money and you could buy the best pens from that money' !

How many have experienced this?

Edited by ajaynatu