Cleaning Tape Residue Off Modern Omas Celluloid?

EclecticCollector

Naptha, as in Zippo fluid??

Doing some noodling around, it appears that neither Zippo nor Ronson lighter fluid are 100% naphtha. Ronson has been bought out by Zippo, and has the same stuff in it. But then again, if you look up the MSDS for naphtha, it has some of the same ingredients.

Ron, please tell me, is Mineral Spirits what we call "rubbing alcohol" up here in Canada (surgical spirit across the Pond)?

NO!! Alcohol will dissolve some celluloids and other plastics. What we call mineral spirits is paint thinner, used to thin oil base paint, cleaning brushes etc. where an oil based paint has been used.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• EclecticCollector

• Ron Z

• pen lady

• markh

Sheaffer used mineral spirits in the service center, and it should be OK. I prefer Naphtha because it is lighter and evaporates more quickly.

Great, thanks again. I'll pick some up and see how it goes.

Thanks Ron, the brand name here in Canada is Varsol, though the generic product is also called paint thinner. Talk about two countries divided by a common language!

Naphtha is also known as varnish makers and painters naphtha.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Ron taught me to use naphtha some time ago, and the only time it has failed me was when I reached for the little naphtha bottle without looking and picked up the matching little acetone bottle right next to it. Not smelling the strong naphtha smell took my brain about a second, but the plastic on the 60's Sheaffer I was working on at the time had already dissolved from the contact with acetone. A couple of hours of sanding and filing, just for the penance, brought it back. Now the bottles don't match any more.

Tim

Tim

timsvintagepens.com and @timsvintagepens

Sheaffer used mineral spirits in the service center, and it should be OK. I prefer Naphtha because it is lighter and evaporates more quickly.

The frustration continues - it turns out even mineral spirits have been banned in California. Now what the *bleep* do I do?

wd 40. Then soapy water to wash that off.

I know WD-40 is safe for plastics, but it's safe for celluloid also? Sorry to be so paranoid about this, I really don't want to risk damaging my pen.

Sometimes the lightest dab of olive oil on the tip of a cotton swab will assist as well. Just don't let it smear widely or you'll have a time wiping it dry with a cotton cloth. :wallbash:

I just wanted to remind the OP of this cheap and safe method of removing glue. I've had good luck with this method (though I use canola oil) on a lot of plastics, and it will be safe on celluloid. It may take some time, of course, but if you're that concerned about damage to the pen it may be the way to go.

Proud resident of the least visited state in the nation!

I just wanted to remind the OP of this cheap and safe method of removing glue. I've had good luck with this method (though I use canola oil) on a lot of plastics, and it will be safe on celluloid. It may take some time, of course, but if you're that concerned about damage to the pen it may be the way to go.

A very good point, thanks for the reminder. I've been so focused on doing it "fast" that I forgot about the "easy".

The frustration continues - it turns out even mineral spirits have been banned in California. Now what the *bleep* do I do?

Bring me this sticker residue.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

We have a sticker residue remover that contains orange oil. It's sold by Betterware, a company that pushes catalogues through your letterbox then brings you what you order.

It's called 'sticky stuff remover' and I use it on just about everything to remove sticky residue.

I always thought it was a replacement for Goo Gone that's what I used to use.

We can get also get alcohol called IMS - Industrial Methylated Spirits. It contains methanol. I wouldn't use that on celluloid, but I have used it on many other pens. It's a huge step down from Acetone, and is much cheaper than Surgical Spirit. But you have to have a licence to buy it that isn't particularly difficult to get.

Be careful using stuff with orange oil. It is not universally "safe." I had a case where it removed the finish off of a floor while removing the adhesive from duct tape. I would not use it on a pen, any pen.

Alcohol of any kind can at minimum cloud the surface of the plastic, and with some, will melt it.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens

Bring me this sticker residue.

I'll have it with me in case I run into you at the show tomorrow. :)

• 2 months later...

Can you buy something called "Goo-Gone" out on the West Coast? It works like a charm, or there's always good old WD-40. You have to clean off the greasy residue but that's easy with some household cleaner and paper towel.

Richard Binder describes WD-40 as “nasty stuff” that should never be used for pens

I bow to Mr. Binder. Try sticking a clean bit of tape over the residual crud and pull it off quickly, repeat as needed.

I know WD-40 is safe for plastics, but it's safe for celluloid also? Sorry to be so paranoid about this, I really don't want to risk damaging my pen.

Richard Binder holds that WD-40 is “nasty stuff” and should never come into contact with a pen