New Zealand Pass Around Ink Sample Library?

HarrietHippo

And there I was thinking I'd discovered something awesome. *sigh* ah well. Maybe I'll ask Mighty Ape to do a price match with Inkt.

Shall I try again and ask if everyone is aware of the Pelikan M400 white/tort that's up on Massdrop at the moment? Seems like a pretty good price to me? I'm quite tempted, but I have a Kaweco Liliput Fireblue arriving today...

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HarrietHippo

• Cdub24

• Stitchpunk

• jmcollis

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

And there I was thinking I'd discovered something awesome. *sigh* ah well. Maybe I'll ask Mighty Ape to do a price match with Inkt.

Shall I try again and ask if everyone is aware of the Pelikan M400 white/tort that's up on Massdrop at the moment? Seems like a pretty good price to me? I'm quite tempted, but I have a Kaweco Liliput Fireblue arriving today...

I'm not sure about the price as I've not kept up with Pelikan prices. But you should search in Trade Me, as there is a shop in Australia that will sell Pelikan prices for you. The white/tortoiseshell does look awesome though! :-)

You mean Peters of Kensington? They're out of stock on it at the moment. Looks like the Massdrop has also sold out, so I'm safe! Will just have to play with my Fireblue instead. Dang.

You mean Peters of Kensington? They're out of stock on it at the moment. Looks like the Massdrop has also sold out, so I'm safe! Will just have to play with my Fireblue instead. Dang.

Yes, that was who I meant.

It didn't last long on Massdrop.

With regard to Peter's of Kensington in Sydney NSW, there are 2 ways to buy.

If you buy off Trademe you pay NZ$15 postage for each bottle and they don't combine postage for more than one bottle.

If however you log onto their website, you can buy several bottles with one lot of postage, and although you are buying in Aus $ the cost works out less for each bottle because they then deduct their Aus GST.

I have bought several bottles all for the single $15 postage, and delivery is prompt.

Note - You can buy several bottles for up to the $15 postage but if you go over a certain weight the postage increases.

Overall this is a very good way to buy some great inks, and their online shop sometimes has more to choose from than the Trademe listings.

Peter

It was US$189 (rrp$439) on Massdrop, from memory Peters sells it for about AU$399. So it would have been NZ$260 plus a few $ for shipping. Pretty good, next time perhaps!

With regard to Peter's of Kensington in Sydney NSW, there are 2 ways to buy.

If you buy off Trademe you pay NZ$15 postage for each bottle and they don't combine postage for more than one bottle.

If however you log onto their website, you can buy several bottles with one lot of postage, and although you are buying in Aus $ the cost works out less for each bottle because they then deduct their Aus GST.

I have bought several bottles all for the single $15 postage, and delivery is prompt.

Note - You can buy several bottles for up to the $15 postage but if you go over a certain weight the postage increases.

Overall this is a very good way to buy some great inks, and their online shop sometimes has more to choose from than the Trademe listings.

Peter

That's good to know, thanks :) I think I've already got more ink samples than I can justify for the amount of writing I actually do, let alone ink bottles! And yet there's a few Samples from Goulet that I'm still considering!

Haha no worries Stitchpunk, we are all just trying to make sure your $ goes further :) That Massdrop looks like a dangerous place.

I'll post you some empty vials this week jmcollis and people can start swapping out whatever keeps them happy

Well done, HarrietHippo. :)

Looks like you've made a good start in getting this group together. Although most participants are on the fish, few in the place of the greenstone. Perhaps that is just a reflection of population figures?

Anyway, keep it going!

Ok, so, I'm gonna go off topic again...I apologise, but this seems like the easiest place to get local information!

I got my Liliput Fireblue and it is SO lovely that I decided it deserves its own leather notebook cover (plus it looks a bit ridiculous in my Midori TN!) I found some covers that I really like from a Canadian shop on Etsy, but I'm struggling to match them with readily available notebooks here. Their pocket size cover is 3.5 x 4.5 inches (8.9 x 11.45cm) and the small cover is 4.5 x 6 inches (11.45 x 15.3cm). To make life difficult I have a preference for anything not lined - so blank, dotted or grid if I have to. Obviously if I'm buying a nice leather cover I don't really want to be paying a premium for fancy hardcover notebooks with elastics and suchlike.

From what I could find their pocket size would only fit Apica (which is lined) or the Leuchtturm A7 (which falls into the premium hardcover price bracket.) The small could take Daytimer A6(no idea what the paper quality is like on that), Apica, Leuchtturm A6 or Rhodia Webnotebook A6.

All of which I suppose is a long winded way of asking about fp-friendly notebook retailers in NZ - I've looked at Fitzgerald Taylor and Inkt, but are there others? Will I be doomed to making my own refills to get a good match between cover and notebook sizes?

Gordon Harris carries a lot of Fabriano Ecoqua notebooks, which are a bit more feedback-y than Rhodia paper but very FP-friendly. Looks like their A6 size should fit the smaller covers. They also do pocket notebook 3-packs for $16 which are awesome but the size (9 x 14) isn't quite right, sadly, unless you were to cut them down.

Also from my experience, a lot of Etsy cover makers are happy to do custom sizing. You could shoot them a message and see if they'd do a more regular size for you.

And yeah, haha, this is becoming a general NZ fountain pen thread! Makes me think a FB group would be great, or even if there's an appropriate place in the forum for a general NZ discussion thread.

Edited by sakamichi

I really like Frank stationery, I have the daily planner but have tried the notebooks in the past. dDn't see them around much but they are nice and it's nice supporting a kiwi business doing great things in the community. https://www.frankstationery.com

I mainly use Midori MD notepads and have bought from overjoyed.xyz in Singapore in the past. Not sure what the shipping charges is like now but they used to offer free shipping over a certain amount.

Hope these help.

You just reminded me, I was given one of the Frank Kraft notebooks a few weeks ago. Just did a "currently inked" as a test. A little show through but no bleed or feather! The little blotch is from something else.

http://i.imgur.com/Dhuu3QN.png

Gordon Harris carries a lot of Fabriano Ecoqua notebooks, which are a bit more feedback-y than Rhodia paper but very FP-friendly. Looks like their A6 size should fit the smaller covers. They also do pocket notebook 3-packs for $16 which are awesome but the size (9 x 14) isn't quite right, sadly, unless you were to cut them down.

Also from my experience, a lot of Etsy cover makers are happy to do custom sizing. You could shoot them a message and see if they'd do a more regular size for you.

And yeah, haha, this is becoming a general NZ fountain pen thread! Makes me think a FB group would be great, or even if there's an appropriate place in the forum for a general NZ discussion thread.

Thanks for the tip! They're just up the road from me :) and yeah, We do need a separate thread or something...

UBS has a good selection as well. Rhodia, Leuchtturm, Ciak, Fabiano and a few more.

They do indeed, I was in there the other day as I work at Auckland Uni (though everything is squeezed onto 1 floor at the moment as they're getting refurbished, so things are a little chaotic.) I'll be going back for another look now that I have more idea of what I want.

I really like Frank stationery, I have the daily planner but have tried the notebooks in the past. dDn't see them around much but they are nice and it's nice supporting a kiwi business doing great things in the community. https://www.frankstationery.com

I mainly use Midori MD notepads and have bought from overjoyed.xyz in Singapore in the past. Not sure what the shipping charges is like now but they used to offer free shipping over a certain amount.

Hope these help.

hadn't heard of them before! I found a few local stores carrying their stuff though :)

Some other local stuff I've found:

http://www.passionforpaper.co.nz/

https://www.notestoself.co.nz/product-category/notebooks-and-journals/notebooks/

http://www.1917.co.nz/leather.mv

https://www.paperplanestore.com/collections/all/notebooks-journals

Mighty Ape also had a few interesting ones. However I am nothing if not fussy! Lol

There's also:

Zany, who carry Rhodia/Clairefontaine mostly, also Herbin inks and some fountain pens. I believe they supply Paper Plus and whatnot.

Pages to Plans, carrying Frank and Word notebooks. They have a sale on Frank stuff at the moment.

Tokyo Stationery NZ, with various Japanese brands. Inkt has the Apica stuff a lot cheaper, but this is the only NZ site I've seen that readily has Maruman and Kokuyo notebooks/paper.