It's Easy To Lose Sight Of Just How Fortunate We Are At Times. Pause For Giving Thanks.

TxHarleyGuy

I am a newbie on this site. But much as the other sites which I belong, I feel that this one may also be the death of me. For in my very short tenure here, and as a result of reading all the amazing info you folks put forth, I've since acquired six Montblanc pens within the course of the last few days; all brand new. You may be asking yourself, "What's this got to do with anything? Moreover, what's it got to do with the title to this thread." Bear with me. For I'm getting to just that.

I read somewhere on the forums of the Montblanc Heritage Rouge & Noir pen set. The one with the snake clip. I realize this pen styling isn't for everyone. But when I saw it, I was like, "I've got to have that pen". I called around, shopped online, and found a retailer out of New York willing to sell the pen to me at about 50 bucks lower than retail. I thought not bad. I then called a local authorized Montblanc dealer here in town and asked if they could price match in any way? Without mentioning the dealer who had given me the lower quote, she named them. I was shocked. She was like, "Yeah, we get that all the time. There's nothing we can do to discount that price or we risk getting in trouble with Montblanc". I said that was not a problem and that it never hurt to ask. She then tells me that if I buy the pen from her that she will make up the price difference in free product; pen refills, ink, Rhodia webnotebook, etc. I'm like, that's stuff I'd buy anyhow, so cool. I'm in. Personally, I thought that was a great deal and very nice of her to offer.

In the closing of our phone conversation, I asked her if she wouldn't mind giving a few pens that I had the 'once over/sniff test' to verify their authenticity as best she could? She sounded excited at the prospect of doing such and said to bring them along with me. After wrapping up the sale of what may be my new favorite pen - Heritage Rouge black - she began taking a look at the pens I brought for inspection. When she got to inspecting the fountain pen, you could see a change in her. She was like in love with this and went on to tell me how beautiful it was and that she could likely not afford one anytime soon. It made me stop and take pause. Here I was showing this girl upwards of three grand in pens (I know, that's peanuts compared to most of you folks on here), and there she was drooling. Don't know why? But I kind of felt bad.

With the above, it made me realize just how fortunate I am. I mean, Rolex forums, Cigar forums, Badger and Blade forums, Mercedes forums, Harley forums, and now The Fountain Pen Network. Really? If you're on this site and participating, consider yourself fortunate. Maybe even damn lucky. It's easy to sometimes lose sight of that. I know it is for me at times no matter how I try for it not to be.

I shared this with a friend of mine who is an executive at Nordstrom's. She handed me something that she wanted me to take back to the gal at the pen shop. It was a 500 gift card. I think I made her day! I know she made mine for she was professional, kind, and genuine. Sorry if I bored you fellas with this long thread. But sometimes things such as this are worth sharing.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TxHarleyGuy

• Ghost Plane

• meiers

• SL_BRABUS

If you're on this site and participating, consider yourself fortunate. Maybe even damn lucky. It's easy to sometimes lose sight of that. I know it is for me at times no matter how I try for it not to be. [...] Sorry if I bored you fellas with this long thread. But sometimes things such as this are worth sharing.

Great post, completely agree with you. Thanks for sharing.

~ Thank you so much, TxHarleyGuy!

What you've expressed brims with wisdom.

Your reaction to the saleslady's comments brings to mind experiences I've had here.

We're fortunate to be on this site with so many warmhearted, knowledgeable and experienced Montblanc owners.

I'm grateful to you for reminding us of our blessings.

Tom K.

With the above, it made me realize just how fortunate I am. I mean, Rolex forums, Cigar forums, Badger and Blade forums, Mercedes forums, Harley forums, and now The Fountain Pen Network. Really? If you're on this site and participating, consider yourself fortunate. Maybe even damn lucky. It's easy to sometimes lose sight of that. I know it is for me at times no matter how I try for it not to be.

You've got pricey tastes ;)

Do you like mainly the new/current stuff or does your interest include older vintage gear as well... that's when prices REALLY go crazy, once you get into restoring & recommissioning old machinery.

And are you teetotal...? Or just overlooked any whiskey/vino/brew forums :P they're bad for the wallet too, especially once sniffing into single malts.

Firewater better than Eau de toilet though :D

welcome.

Would you mind sharing a few photos of your pen?

Not the best of images; quick snaps. Would have included the red/black box but the wife has already put it away. I knew I wanted this pen solely because I like the looks of it. But when I actually got to hold it, I was doubly surprised. For a pen that is on the smaller side, it has a solid, weighty, balanced feel to it. Just feels really good (to me) in the hand. Pleasantly surprised by it's weight; in a good way.

28426167854_afecda92be_c.jpg

I surely appreciated your post but not because of your Montbalnc experience @ the boutique; My appreciation is for YOUR sharing your delight with someone else & THEIR appreciation for offering someone something to reward them, which I am sure will effect a similar experience for THEIR employer.

So few customers appreciate good service when they see it & make an effort to reward same; A compliment & thanks sometimes should be minimal to the "FRONT Line" employee who as representative of the brand, reinforces your trust & continued patronage of their employer. You went "one better" my sharing the experience & your friend again, who I suspect is a pretty valued employee of Nordstrom, renowned for THEIR customer service.

BOTH you & your friend "make me proud" & I am sure made that clerk's DAY! I hope others may learn from your experience. Life can truly be better if we share the "good things;" I believe it has quite the cumulative effect when others understand the value of "positive feedback."

May the universe continue to pour into your cup, even when it is running over.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Not the best of images; quick snaps. Would have included the red/black box but the wife has already put it away. I knew I wanted this pen solely because I like the looks of it. But when I actually got to hold it, I was doubly surprised. For a pen that is on the smaller side, it has a solid, weighty, balanced feel to it. Just feels really good (to me) in the hand. Pleasantly surprised by it's weight; in a good way.

28426167854_afecda92be_c.jpg

Thanks for the lovely photos. They made my day.

Well said :) I often pause to think how lucky I am to have been able to indulge myself with hobbies on top of being able to have shelter, food, and the love of a family and partner. Not a day goes by without gratitude :)

Never pick a fight with people who buy ink by the barrel.

~ Mark Twain

----------------

Pen and Inkstagram!

I'm a history buff and there are days when I am amazed that I not only have the luxury of being literate, but own enough writing equipment and reading material to outfit an entire kingdom let alone a scriptorium in times go by. :yikes: Added to that instantaneous internet access, plenty of food and clothing, palatial shelter compared to much of the world, reliable transportation, and access to medical care...makes me realize how far sharing a little will take those less fortunate. :eureka:

Don't forget to extend a hand (or pen) to those who need it. :wub:

Thanks for sharing your story & Congratulations on your new pen....... :) ...

You & your friend did well, hat off to you & your friend.... :thumbup: ..

Good karma will come back to you & your friend, no doubt about it... :thumbup: ...

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=488569

...^^^...Here my story what my wife & I did early this month......^^^... :) ...

Best Regards,

Tony :)

Thanks for sharing your story & Congratulations on your new pen....... :) ...

You & your friend did well, hat off to you & your friend.... :thumbup: ..

Good karma will come back to you & your friend, no doubt about it... :thumbup: ...

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=488569

...^^^...Here my story what my wife & I did early this month......^^^... :) ...

Best Regards,

Tony :)

That's a great story. Adding a Submariner 18k YG to my collection next week. Can't wait!

Update to this story:

I'm really diggin' this snake pen. So much so that I decided I just couldn't leave its 'green eyed sister' there alone at the pen shop after purchasing her older brother pen. So off I went. I decided to go and purchase the coral pen with the green snake eyes. When I walked into the pen store, you'd thought a rock star had just walked in. The young lady that I gave the gift card to was not working this evening. But I reckon word travels fast for when I gave them my name, it was like, "You're the one. That man who gave such and such the gift card, right?" Was kinda' funny in an awkward sort of way. The benefit of that good karma; free swag!!!! That young lady must have tossed in so many 'extras' into my bag, it wasn't even funny; ink, at least a dozen refills, some notepads, and even a Harley pen (which I totally was loving). Total hook up!

29025339056_7797779c8a_c.jpg29025478546_5622945625_z.jpg

Edited by TxHarleyGuy

So, are you trying to let us know how fortunate you are or how much you have

Don't think either? 'Thought' I was doing what everyone else on here does in that they show/post/display items which they've purchased, are proud of, acquired, etc. If that's a problem for you, please feel free to take it up with me directly.

May the universe continue to pour into your cup, even when it is running over.

I second the motion! Well done, my friend, well done!

No matter how much you push the envelope, it will still be stationery. -Anon.

A backward poet writes inverse. -Anon.

I will raise a glass to that.My parents and grandparents never left me anything that I could call a family heirloom. I| have since aquired collectible Disney pins and now MB pens. I hope to pass this down to them. I went direct to the MB boutique to purchase my pens and I got invited to a trip to Hamburg to see their factory. I am looking forward to it. Age has given me an appreciation for fountain pens which I never had before.