First Waterman

teryg93

I've recently become interested in fountain pens again, after not using one for years. No one will be surprised to hear that I've started a small collection . . .

I would like to try a Waterman, but I have a couple of questions. One is, which one should someone with small hands, who likes slender and fairly light pens, try first?

The other is about what's available on ebay. I see Watermans listed for under $30, and Watermans listed for well over $100. Right now, I'm in the $30 or less range. Are those likely to be real Watermans, and are they likely to be any good?

Thanks!

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• teryg93

• Tweel

• RMN

• pajaro

Top Posters In This Topic

$30 is going to be restrictive.

You may get an older model pen (with sac) if lucky, something like a 512V or any of the 5 series but they too are increasing in value. Most of the early rubber pens have also sky rocketed in price.

As for modern pens, again prices are up and up but you could try a Kultur. They are good writers (steel nib) and prices are around your budget. You could also look out for a Hemisphere.

$30 isn't going to net you much in terms of a Waterman. Sure, you could get lucky on eBay, but I'd say expect to spend at least twice that amount for a decent entry level FP like the Laureat.

Waterman -these days- is not known for making very light/slim pens.

You might want to look at a Kultur, these days also -wrongly- dubbed Phileas Kultur... and then overpriced.

The Kulturs are not overly narrow but are fairly light pens. It's sibling the Phileas is heavier, sturdier, and more expensive.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

Maybe something like a Reflex?

fpn_1375035941__postcard_swap.png * * * "Don't neglect to write me several times from different places when you may."
-- John Purdue (1863)

look i think you would be better off trying to spend a little more - even if you have to wait a while.

i bought my first Waterman last month - a Carene - and its such a wonderful pen.

I own a lot of pens that cost a lot more than a Carene - but I'm really enjoying this pen

My first suggestion -- FORGET about hand size ! Which fountain pen is comfortable in YOUR hand ? Don't ask which one I like, unless you plan to be very generous to me. :rolleyes: Which of your fountain pens is most comfortable to use ?

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

I've recently become interested in fountain pens again, after not using one for years. No one will be surprised to hear that I've started a small collection . . .

I would like to try a Waterman, but I have a couple of questions. One is, which one should someone with small hands, who likes slender and fairly light pens, try first?

The other is about what's available on ebay. I see Watermans listed for under $30, and Watermans listed for well over $100. Right now, I'm in the $30 or less range. Are those likely to be real Watermans, and are they likely to be any good?

Thanks!

Gave up on the Pesterbrook, now to Waterman? The Kultur is decent. If you can find a Phileas at a low price, that's better. Carene is way over budget and has issues like the cap doesn't post and it dries up too much for me. Pesterbrook actually performs better. Reflex? Forgetaboutit. Apparently you have to beat the cr*p out of the Reflex nib to get it to write. Mine won't write. Find something else at moderate price. About the old pens: often they have parts replacement needs if moderately priced, and the parts are scarce. Otherwise the oldies in good shape cost.

Dollar for dollar, get a Parker 51.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Just in the interest of balance, I'll say that my Reflex nib writes very well, and that my Carène Deluxe doesn't dry up, and posts securely.

fpn_1375035941__postcard_swap.png * * * "Don't neglect to write me several times from different places when you may."
-- John Purdue (1863)

Just in the interest of balance, I'll say that my Reflex nib writes very well, and that my Carène Deluxe doesn't dry up, and posts securely.

Encouraged by posts like yours, I smoothed and tuned the nib on the Reflex. Flossing repeatedly seemed to help the most. It now writes well. I noticed an ink spot on my shirt above the pocket. It seems that ink got out through the cap jewel, some sort of capillary action. Fortunately I don't need this pen for any writing need.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Not bad for a little plastic pen, eh? :)

-- John Purdue (1863)

Gave up on the Pesterbrook, now to Waterman? The Kultur is decent. If you can find a Phileas at a low price, that's better. Carene is way over budget and has issues like the cap doesn't post and it dries up too much for me. Pesterbrook actually performs better. Reflex? Forgetaboutit. Apparently you have to beat the cr*p out of the Reflex nib to get it to write. Mine won't write. Find something else at moderate price. About the old pens: often they have parts replacement needs if moderately priced, and the parts are scarce. Otherwise the oldies in good shape cost.

Dollar for dollar, get a Parker 51.

Nope, haven't given up. The one I had was repaired and I'll have another on the way when it's ready. I'm just still looking around and trying different pens.

As popular as the 51s are, they're just a little thicker and a little heavier than I like. I have my late father-in-law's 51 in my drawer but I almost never pick it up. For Parkers, the Rialto has worked best. That's one way that I know I like thin, light pens--those are the ones I reach for in what has now become the pen drawer next to my favorite chair.

It looks like Watermans might have to wait until I can spend more on a pen than I can comfortably manage right now.

• 3 weeks later...

I got a nice Kultur off ebay last week. Nice pen! I can see wanting more . . . no one is suprised by that, right?

Did you pay a decent price?

D.ick

~

~

Did you pay a decent price?

D.ick

Unlike a lot of the inexpensive Watermans I've seen on ebay, this one was used. I paid $10.50, which included the converter.

I see odd things on ebay with Watermans. Someone keeps listing a Kultur at under a dollar, then when the end of the auction nears, if the price isn't high enough (I guess), the pen is relisted at under a dollar again.

Unlike a lot of the inexpensive Watermans I've seen on ebay, this one was used. I paid $10.50, which included the converter.

I see odd things on ebay with Watermans. Someone keeps listing a Kultur at under a dollar, then when the end of the auction nears, if the price isn't high enough (I guess), the pen is relisted at under a dollar again.

Not too bad.

And a lot of strange things happen on ebay...

D.ick

~

~

• 2 weeks later...

If you like vintage pens and want a slender one, try a 32 1/2.
i've brought one made in Canada from eBay for around 30€ and it's a lovely tiny pen (more than a 1/2v, if you - like me - don't like to post you pens)