Poll: What Should I Get Next?

croccanova

I have a cool mix of vintage and new pens. I have a Waterman's 52, a Chicago made Conklin Glider, and a vintage Pelikan. I have been eyeballing this particular Parker Vacumatic. Looking in the $150 range should I go for another vintage pen or for something new and exciting like a Franklin-Christoph Model 20? What would you do?

post-131441-0-77289000-1471398780_thumb.jpg

post-131441-0-36184900-1471398841.png

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• croccanova

• mallymal1

• NinthSphere

• aeba

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Parker Vac.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Depends on what you're looking for in a pen. My draw to FC is a well executed pen with a Masuyama nib (or a SIG now, I suppose). Swappable nibs, easier to maintain filling system.

The vac, I would be going for the design, the material, maybe the filling system also, if that's your thing.

I suppose I am stuck between collecting (with the parker) and everyday use (with the FC) but yeah I just want to see what people think.

My rule of thumb would be: if you see a vintage pen you really like, get it. You might never see one just like it again. Whereas, when you have saved up another $120 dollars, the FC mightl still be around.

Having said that, the FC's ARE amazing pens. :thumbup:

My rule of thumb would be: if you see a vintage pen you really like, get it. You might never see one just like it again. Whereas, when you have saved up another $120 dollars, the FC mightl still be around.

Thanks for the advice!

I'd get the Parker. I really like that style and in fact I plan on looking for one of those at the Ohio Pen show in a couple months.

Weight on "might". For example Edison Collier in silver marble isn't around any more. They will probably resurface in evil bay some day, but at the moment there is not a single one.

That said, I would pick the Parker Vac first.

You do not have a right to post. You do not have a right to a lawyer. Do you understands these rights you do not have?

Kaweco Supra (titanium B), Al-Sport (steel BB).

Parker: Sonnet (dimonite); Frontier GT; 51 (gray); Vacumatic (amber).

Pelikan: m600 (BB); Rotring ArtPen (1,9mm); Rotring Rive; Cult Pens Mini (the original silver version), Waterman Carene (ultramarine F)

[/url]">http://http://s271.photobucket.com/user/dick168/media/We-miss-you_zpspa5xqsjd.jpeg.html'>http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj157/dick168/We-miss-you_zpspa5xqsjd.jpeg

I'd suggest this desk set! They are NOS from registered stock. Finding their sweet spot is not hard, but chocolate is not recommended.

Weight on "might". For example Edison Collier in silver marble isn't around any more. They will probably resurface in evil bay some day, but at the moment there is not a single one.

My only hesitation on that parker Vac is the size. It's only 4 3/4 inches capped. That's a little pen. I have little hands but thats almost junior sized

[/url]">http://http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj157/dick168/We-miss-you_zpspa5xqsjd.jpeg

I'd suggest this desk set! They are NOS from registered stock. Finding their sweet spot is not hard, but chocolate is not recommended.

I'll take this desk set if it's still available :) :wub: :D .

Otherwise, I'd go for the Vacumatic. Only because I have several and love them, though. I have no experience whatsoever with the FC pens.

"In the end, only kindness matters."

Go for the Parker. Vac's post quite nicely, so the length shouldn't be a problem. And, you can't beat a Vac for a nice writing pen.

May we live, not by our fears but by our hopes; not by our words but by our deeds; not by our disappointments but by our dreams.

I vote for the Franklin Cristoph 20. My very favorite pen is my FC Panther with Matsuyama 14K medium italic nib. Sheer perfection in every way.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

I have four Parker Vacumatic fountain pens. They are recent acquisitions -- 2009 to 2013. My records show that I paid $78 to $102 for the pens. Good ones are more scarce today, and restoring the diaphragm is more expensive. If the Vacumatic is a good one, make it yours !

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Depends on what you're looking for in a pen. My draw to FC is a well executed pen with a Masuyama nib (or a SIG now, I suppose). Swappable nibs, easier to maintain filling system.

The vac, I would be going for the design, the material, maybe the filling system also, if that's your thing.

What are those SIG nibs? I have trouble finding good info on them.

Given that the Vac in question is a Green Shadow Wave, one of which was my most recent acquisition, I'm definitely in the "get the Vac" camp.... B)

Mine isn't in rotation at the moment, but the Red Shadow Wave 1st Generation (Lockdown filler) Junior that I got in the PCA auction at DCSS last year has pretty much been an EDC pen for over a year. Not flushed out, just refilled as needed. Even my Plum 51 Demi Aero hasn't seen that much use (because I change inks in that pen a fair amount -- most recently it was Iroshihzuku Ama-Iro).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

:thumbup:

What are those SIG nibs? I have trouble finding good info on them.

From the FC nibs page:

Introducing our new nib grind, the S.I.G. - Stub. Italic. Gradient. - the smooth feel of a stub with the line variation closer to a cursive italic. Gradient - means that it offers similar line variation at different angles from steep to shallow - more versatile for various kinds of handwriting.

The couple of writing samples I've seen don't look much different from the Masuyama stub I have, but they sound interesting enough that I may pick one up for the sake of comparison in the near future.

So the original Vac I was looking at was rather small but I just won this guy on eBay today! It will be going off to Aaron at Pentiques.com to get fully serviced!

post-131441-0-29719900-1471506300_thumb.png

Given that the Vac in question is a Green Shadow Wave, one of which was my most recent acquisition, I'm definitely in the "get the Vac" camp.... B)

Mine isn't in rotation at the moment, but the Red Shadow Wave 1st Generation (Lockdown filler) Junior that I got in the PCA auction at DCSS last year has pretty much been an EDC pen for over a year. Not flushed out, just refilled as needed. Even my Plum 51 Demi Aero hasn't seen that much use (because I change inks in that pen a fair amount -- most recently it was Iroshihzuku Ama-Iro).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

Nice! Yeah I got a Vac! Just not the green shadow wave. I found a great one on ebay I am gonna get fixed up!