De Atramentis Ink Recommendations?

TSherbs

Hi folks,

I would like to try a De Atramentis ink but I can't really tell where to start; I get overwhelmed by all their offerings and names. Can you help me with some recommendations? I don't live anywhere near a pen/ink store, so....

I like blue(darker), blue-black, purple, green. Anyone have any faves in these colors from De Atramentis? And permanence doesn't matter...

Thanks!

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• TSherbs

• glorfindel

• Morbus Curiositas

Oh man! DeAtramentis used to be (well, still is) my favorite ink manufacturer.

I don't even know where to start.

I'd definitely start with Steel blue - this is my favorite ink overall.

If you like darker blues - then indigo blue.

Blue-blacks: Ferdinant-von-Zeppelin

Turquoise: Forget-me-Not (I forgot what non-scented ink corresponds to that color, but if you google around you should find the charts).

A lot of people here name DeAtramentis Aubergene as the best violet. I haven't tried it though.

For the water resistant ink I really like DeAtramentis archive (black).

They've also got interesting blue-greens: pigion, petrol.

All DeA inks have a common trait of having an excellent flow. However, they don't shade much (depends on the pen) and may feather on bad quality paper.

All in all I find DeA to be very similar in behavior to Iroshizuku inks, however with much more colors (and scents) to chose from.

Also for darker blues (since you asked for them): Lavender, Atlantic blue and Geuseppe Verdi. (I've had skipping issue with Atlantic on greasy paper though).

The last two are more blue-blacks than dark blues though.

I also love Herbs-de-Province (tealish green).

Dante Alighieri is an interesting bluish-red.

I did not like their red collection, though I haven't tried every red.

Hyacinth is basically Asa-Gao with a hint of purple.

Midnight blue is dark blue-green. Kinda similar to Yama-Dori.

Keep in mind that for every generic color they have a scented one and also one named after a famous person. For example, I think the Forget-me-Not that I mentioned previously would be "Sky Blue".

My first was Lavander, I loved the scent.

I use Document Magenta for adding to any dryi ink.

My favorite is probably Kermesin, but I really like Saint Laurent (the wine ink) I liked the roses and I'm probably going to end up buying Black Edition Red (it was purple on cream paper and burgundy on white paper). I adore Sapphire Blue and while I did like Zepplin, I preferred Robert Louis Stevenson. Oh.... and I just recently tried Lemberger which I also liked.

I did not like Magic Wizard (which you can't get so it won't matter).

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

All DeA inks have a common trait of having an excellent flow. However, they don't shade much (depends on the pen) and may feather on bad quality paper.

All in all I find DeA to be very similar in behavior to Iroshizuku inks, however with much more colors (and scents) to chose from.

Thanks for your list. I have found the Iroshizuku line to be a bit in the dry side; De Atramentis pics of writing make it seem to be mostly a wetter brand overall.

Thanks for your list. I have found the Iroshizuku line to be a bit in the dry side; De Atramentis pics of writing make it seem to be mostly a wetter brand overall.

De Atramentis inks are probably the wettest ink out there.

Is "Magic Wizard, " that you mention different from the inks I recently saw @ Vanness?

"School of Witchcraft & Wizardry"

"Magic Boarding School," including the below inks, "Magic Boarding School..........."

1. Alchemist

2. Druid

3. Ghost

4. Magic Dragon

5.Mandrago

6. Phoenix

7. Unicorn

8.Witch

9. Wizard

I think these are scented inks & I am 'going out on a limb here," maybe based on HARRY POTTER book?

My favorites to consider are the 4 inks named for Popes, Francis, John PAUL III, BENEDICT XVI & JULIUS II & I might round out those religious inks with a bottle of Hildegard of Bingen.

It would seem to me from a quick "guestimate," 17 pages, with 20 bottles offered each page + the 18th page of 5 inks might be 345 inks? I would guess that is a greater amount of ink by "one man" than I have ever seen offered from one site!

Yup, IIUC, the same color is used as a "generic" ink, scented and named after a famous person/character.

Well, I've tried some DA inks and while I enjoy some I dislike others. In my experience inks that behave well are:

Blue: Jules Verne Sky Blue, Adular Blue, Steel Blue

Violet: I've tried only Aubergine and it's great ink

Green: most DA green inks I've tried so far were on dry side (Bamboo Green, Pine Green, Olive Green). Jane Austen though was quite pleasant in use.

Red - Red/Orange is quite nice.

Brown - while I dislike Sepia Brown color I think it's excellent ink. I've enjoyed Maron but it's not really wet ink.

Grey - Fog Grey is excellent, wet grey ink. One of the best greys I've tried so far.

Well, I've tried some DA inks and while I enjoy some I dislike others. In my experience inks that behave well are:

Blue: Jules Verne Sky Blue, Adular Blue, Steel Blue

Violet: I've tried only Aubergine and it's great ink

Green: most DA green inks I've tried so far were on dry side (Bamboo Green, Pine Green, Olive Green). Jane Austen though was quite pleasant in use.

Red - Red/Orange is quite nice.

Brown - while I dislike Sepia Brown color I think it's excellent ink. I've enjoyed Maron but it's not really wet ink.

Grey - Fog Grey is excellent, wet grey ink. One of the best greys I've tried so far.

Thanks. Fog Grey will definitely be one of my samples. I have never tried a grey ink (most seem too faint for my liking).

I have enjoyed quite a few of those mentioned above. One that hasn't been mentioned is Black-Blue, which is a little on the teal side of blue-black, but really nice! It was a marvelous pairing in a Pilot Metropolitan. :)

I have enjoyed quite a few of those mentioned above. One that hasn't been mentioned is Black-Blue, which is a little on the teal side of blue-black, but really nice! It was a marvelous pairing in a Pilot Metropolitan. :)

From the "Black Edition"?

YNWA - JFT97

Instagram: inkyandy

I highly recommend Hyacinth for a medium blue and Sherlock Holmes for a dark blue. Neither of these has an equivalent in the "regular" DA series, AFAIK. These are beautiful wet inks.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

Is "Magic Wizard, " that you mention different from the inks I recently saw @ Vanness?

"School of Witchcraft & Wizardry"

"Magic Boarding School," including the below inks, "Magic Boarding School..........."

1. Alchemist

2. Druid

3. Ghost

4. Magic Dragon

5.Mandrago

6. Phoenix

7. Unicorn

8.Witch

9. Wizard

I think these are scented inks & I am 'going out on a limb here," maybe based on HARRY POTTER book?

My favorites to consider are the 4 inks named for Popes, Francis, John PAUL III, BENEDICT XVI & JULIUS II & I might round out those religious inks with a bottle of Hildegard of Bingen.

It would seem to me from a quick "guestimate," 17 pages, with 20 bottles offered each page + the 18th page of 5 inks might be 345 inks? I would guess that is a greater amount of ink by "one man" than I have ever seen offered from one site!

Yes, I'm sure that is what the ink is from.

He and Nathan are both very prolific.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Okay, I had to go look at my stash. I need more De Atramentis ink.

The hot pinks aren't here: Goat and Cherry Blossom which are both wonderful. I will try and do some CRVs with them shortly.

post-74729-0-69893900-1471454592_thumb.jpg

Okay, I have two mint turquoises - not retina searing but fade resistant and water resistant.

The Christmas cinnamon scent is a lovely silver gray. I don't know if you can find it again.

Blue: Lavender, Steel blue, Sky blue, Sapphire, Robert Louis Stevenson, Christmas Ink, (Halloween prefers Myrrh), I really liked Hyacinth.

Red: Roses (scented) and Kermesin

Purple: OMG, I need more purple. Did I mention the Black Edition Red?