Sheaffer Vac Filler Threaded Metal Ring

sugna

I have a vac filler with a loose threaded metal ring (the ring between the section and barrel) which makes it tough to secure the cap properly. I heard there is a tool for tightening down this ring, but haven't had much luck finding it online. I was thinking I could try epoxying the ring to tighten it, but figured I'd ask around here first. Can anyone shed any light vis-a-vis a ring-tightening tool or other workarounds? Thank you in advance!

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sugna

• Ron Z

• FarmBoy

• eckiethump

Top Posters In This Topic

No tool to tighten the threaded ring. This is one case where epoxy might be ok. I would make a slurry of celluloid and build up the area then slide the ring back in place.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

On the first generation vac-fills - featuring the striated semi transparent barrel - the section is permanently fused on the barrel, with the thread clutch mounted between them.

Given one can't disassemble the clutch, using expoy to secure it is rather difficult.

Injecting crazy glue in the seam may secure it again, but remains delicate in my experience.

On these pens I've already secured the ring radially by swaging it tightly so it can't slip anymore.

Check first if the thread fit with the cap will not become too loose after swaging the thread clutch.

Francis

When you swage a ring, it is compressed evenly, all the way round. This reduces the OD of the ring - and IMO, in this case makes it likely that the thread ring will no longer engage with the threads in the cap. You may not know that it will happen until its too late. I've had it happen.

It would be difficult to work epoxy under the ring on a pen where the ring is held captive. I don't like superglue either. The best fix that I've found so far is to wick Captain Tolleys under the ring, allowing it to dry completely (as in over night at least) before testing. It usually works.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

No tool to tighten the threaded ring. This is one case where epoxy might be ok. I would make a slurry of celluloid and build up the area then slide the ring back in place.

Thanks for your suggestion! The ring is still engaged, and only just loose enough so that it rotates around the pen freely, so not sure there is enough room to even push the epoxy in on second thought.

On the first generation vac-fills - featuring the striated semi transparent barrel - the section is permanently fused on the barrel, with the thread clutch mounted between them.

Given one can't disassemble the clutch, using expoy to secure it is rather difficult.

Injecting crazy glue in the seam may secure it again, but remains delicate in my experience.

On these pens I've already secured the ring radially by swaging it tightly so it can't slip anymore.

Check first if the thread fit with the cap will not become too loose after swaging the thread clutch.

Francis

This is a later generation, entirely plastic. And swaging is a little beyond my skill set, but I appreciate your suggestion!

When you swage a ring, it is compressed evenly, all the way round. This reduces the OD of the ring - and IMO, in this case makes it likely that the thread ring will no longer engage with the threads in the cap. You may not know that it will happen until its too late. I've had it happen.

It would be difficult to work epoxy under the ring on a pen where the ring is held captive. I don't like superglue either. The best fix that I've found so far is to wick Captain Tolleys under the ring, allowing it to dry completely (as in over night at least) before testing. It usually works.

You addressed my biggest concern Ron: the ring is only just so loose, so I don't think I'll be able to work anything under there. I will try Captain Tolley's, what a great suggestion! I'd never heard of the stuff but from reading the product description capillary action makes sense for this application. Thank you!

Update: success! Thanks for this tip, it worked very well. I was careful not to be overzealous with applying the Capt Tolleys, doing it in two batches until it looked like it had filled the void. Left it overnight and now the cap closes properly.

Glad it worked for you!

For those reading the post, keep in mind that Captain Tolleys is not an adhesive, so don't consider it as such. But in certain applications like this one, or say in securing the overlay on a Skyline cap where the surfaces are very close to each other, it works very well.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

I noticed when I disassembled the pen prior to trying this that beneath the threaded metal ring there were ridges in the plastic. Was the ring originally just pressure fit against these ridges? Or was there some adhesive as well?

It was a very snug pressure fit. Sometimes its almost impossible to put the ring on a NOS section, or get it off the old one.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens

Glad to hear that worked, I would not have thought CTCCG to be strong enough to hold, as is pointed out it is not a glue, but a capillary gap filling liquid.

One I'll remember for the future, as the problem is not an uncommon one on these pens

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge (Charles Darwin)

http://www.wesonline.org.uk/