The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Jfk With A Parker 45?

jfk presidential pens history boats

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 RagunCagun

RagunCagun

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 August 2016 - 19:15

Hi all, 

Sorry if this is common knowledge, but I recently came across a picture that shows JFK using what looks to be a Parker 45 cap activated ballpoint. I'm not an expert in Parker, pens however, so I can't be sure. I read somewhere that while it has long been thought that JFK preferred Jotters as his handy-everyday pen (usually to be given out as mementos), it's more likely that they were first 45s which then might have become Jotters. 

Anybody have any more insight or information? I know the pen does not make the man (rather vice versa), but I've always found it super cool to know what pens politicians/highly visible public figures use in their everyday lives -- away from the ceremonial Townsends and Mont Blancs.

Here's the pic:

tumblr_n8maavQ5hv1qa2j8co3_1280.jpg

Sponsored Content

#2 RagunCagun

RagunCagun

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 August 2016 - 19:17

Edit: Also, I'm assuming ballpoint because of the caption that states he's jotting notes while on a boat. Time wise, I think this photo was supposedly taken in 1960 while he was president-elect. 

#3 rwilsonedn

rwilsonedn

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,802 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 19:12

But the writing angle looks much more fountain-pen like. I don't see BP users writing at that low an angle usually.

ron

#4 welch

welch

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,021 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 August 2016 - 15:48

As best I remember, the P-45 ballpoint arrived after the P-45 fountain pen had become a big seller. It was an upscale version of the Jotter. Approximate timeline?

- Jotter: about 1955. Price = $1.98 by 1962 or so

- P-45: began selling late 1960. Price = $4.98

- P-45 ballpoint: began selling about 1963 or 1964. Price = $2.98

The P-45 ballpoint was essentially a cap-activated Jotter. Similar to the P-51 ballpoint except, of course, with P-45 clip and trim. 

The picture is too blurred to guess at the pen. Writing angle? Good point. However, if I wanted to jot notes on my cabin cruiser, if I  owned one, I would want to use a ballpoint. JFK is reinforcing the pad of paper with his left hand, which would make sense with a ballpoint: you have to press hard.  

Washington Nationals 2019: the fight for .500; "stay in the fight"; WON the fight

#5 Pravda

Pravda

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,516 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 August 2016 - 09:51

I am always under the belief that these personalities just use what's being pushed onto them.. Some, of course, have an air for writing and perhaps even pens. But the majority I would assume don't have time and so they use what's available or what someone offers them as a gift? 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: jfk, presidential pens, history, boats

Sponsored Content

|