What Happened To Private Reserve Ink At Goulet Pens?

gamingoodz

I just went to order some Private Reserve ink I have been wanting at Gouletpens and realized they don't have any PR inks anymore? What happened? Did they permanently remove all PR inks? I tried to look through Goulet's blog but I didn't see anything posted about it.

If they stopped selling them for good I think that is a shame, Private Reserve doesn't get enough credit and I think they make some great ink. I really don't think that PR gets enough recognition for what they offer.

Anyways maybe someone knows what is going on?

Thanks

The first step toward change is awareness. The second step is acceptance.

Nathaniel Branden

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Fuzzy_Bear

• Ghost Plane

• dvalliere

• kpatters5274

I just went to order some Private Reserve ink I have been wanting at Gouletpens and realized they don't have any PR inks anymore? What happened? Did they permanently remove all PR inks? I tried to look through Goulet's blog but I didn't see anything posted about it.

If they stopped selling them for good I think that is a shame, Private Reserve doesn't get enough credit and I think they make some great ink. I really don't think that PR gets enough recognition for what they offer.

Anyways maybe someone knows what is going on?

Thanks

I can't remember if it was from the newsletter, "Q&A" podcast or if a regular snoop of the site checking, clearance items, but I was aware they were discounting all the samples & hence probably offered a sale price for the bottles; I was not surprised by your post, so I must have heard something, some place about the sale on their site. I have enjoyed every Private Reserve ink I have used; it is a very nice ink with a lot of selection @ very reasonable cost.

I think in one of their weekly emails they said that they were dropping PR and selling off their remaining stock. This may have been a couple of weeks ago? I know I read it somewhere from them. I like the few PR inks that I have, too, and it is a shame that they aren't going to carry them anymore. It does seem to me that Goulets tends to add and drop product lines quite frequently, though, so this didn't surprise me too much. Hopefully there will be other places for us to get PR just as easily!

I'm not sure what another good place to buy PR inks is now, I guess I'll have to do some searching. It's hard to believe that PR inks would be doing so badly for them that they would drop their entire brand of inks. Such a shame, goulet was my main source of PR inks.. I also can't believe I missed the newsletter, darn I would have stocked up had I known.

The first step toward change is awareness. The second step is acceptance.

Nathaniel Branden

I asked them about it and they weren't selling well enough compared to other brands. Quite disappointed as in only have one bottle of Avocado and it's been a daily user for me.

Vanness still has some PR bottles, but nowhere near to variety you'd expect from PR.

Dromgooles in Houston still carries it add well. Good store and good people.

I can vouch for that. Salt of the earth, those people. I went in there looking like a scrub at the end of a long week of training for work, and they did not hesitate spending a lot of time talking about Noodler's inks with me.

They didn't even blink with I spilled Berning Red all over my hand. :P

For your consideration HisNibsdotcom in PA and Fountain

Pen Hospital in NYCity

Fred

Edited by Freddy

I also can't believe I missed the newsletter, darn I would have stocked up had I known.

I wouldn't beat yourself up too much about it-- I clicked over to take a look when I saw it in the newsletter, and I think they only had a few colors (less than 10, perhaps) left at that point, anyways. I could be misremembering, but that was my impression when I looked.

I'm not sure what another good place to buy PR inks is now, I guess I'll have to do some searching. It's hard to believe that PR inks would be doing so badly for them that they would drop their entire brand of inks. Such a shame, goulet was my main source of PR inks.. I also can't believe I missed the newsletter, darn I would have stocked up had I known.

Like so many things, I'd look at this change as an opportunity, not a setback. There are so many great stores out there, online and brick and mortar, and now you can check out some of those, too.

In addition to the ones that have been mentioned, there are Amazon, ipenstore, eBay, Pen Boutique, Bertram's Inkwell, Goldspot -- all of which I think carry Private Reserve, and many of which have free shipping offers over a certain amount. Jetpens and Pen Chalet may not have Private Reserve -- I'm not sure -- but they also tend to have good prices and good shipping deals. The world of ink is your oyster. :)

I noticed that Goulet dropped them as well.

I do have many colors available and at a great price the rest of this week.

Please visit my store A&D Penworx.

Brands we carry: Benu Pen, Conklin, Kaweco, Monteverde, TWSBI - Diamine, J Herbin, KWZ- Clairefontaine, Field Notes, Rhodia, Whitelines

Check out http://www.isellpens.com for sale pricing on some of the PR inks. I think Todd is closing up shop and selling off all of his remaining stock of everything. Nice guy and will be missed.

BTW, no affiliation. Just a satisfied customer.

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

I had a hard time finding American Blue long cartridges. Looked all over, finally got some on Amazon.

Be a shame to loose PR inks.

I had opportunity to discuss this with Brian Goulet at the pen show.

The man behind Private Reserve passed away recently, and he failed to properly document his knowledge before passing. His family has tried their best to keep the business running, but has had persistent quality issues, causing customer complaints. Goulet Pens has decided that it is no longer worth their resources to continue to carry the brand and dropped it.

If we can learn a life lesson from this, it is: if others depend on your specific knowledge, write it down somewhere. You never know what tomorrow holds.

Edited by JordanN

I had opportunity to discuss this with Brian Goulet at the pen show.

The man behind Private Reserve passed away recently, and he failed to properly document his knowledge before passing. His family has tried their best to keep the business running, but has had persistent quality issues, causing customer complaints. Goulet Pens has decided that it is no longer worth their resources to continue to carry the brand and dropped it.

If we can learn a life lesson from this, it is: if others depend on your specific knowledge, write it down somewhere. You never know what tomorrow holds.

That's really sad. I sometimes fear the same thing happening with Noodler's. Those inks are so tied up with Nathan Tardif, that if he disappears, all of us Noodler's fans are up a creek if he didn't write everything down.

That's really sad. I sometimes fear the same thing happening with Noodler's. Those inks are so tied up with Nathan Tardif, that if he disappears, all of us Noodler's fans are up a creek if he didn't write everything down.

I seem to remember hearing that Tardif keeps everything in his head (this was a while back so things may have changed). With all the Noodler's varieties I can't imagine that's entirely true but it does suggest that Noodler's won't survive once Tardif is no longer with the company.