Pelikan Fine Leather Black Triple Pen Pouch - What's That Smell? Yikes!

TxHarleyGuy

Afternoon everyone,

I wanted to solicit the opinions of those far more in the know than I regarding a recent purchase I made and received the other day. It was a Pelikan Fine Leather Triple Pen Pouch. The item looks nice and all. But, my goodness, does it have a plastic/vinyl/chemical type of smell to it big time. I mean it's overbearing. It looks and feels like leather. But at the same time, who knows? Have anyone ever encountered this? I'm seriously debating on whether or not to even keep it. The smell is just that off putting.

Here's a link to the case I purchased

https://www.amazon.com/Pelikan-Leath.../dp/B003CJT9Y4

Any help would be appreciated. Right now, it has made its way to the garage to hopefully air out.

Lastly, if this is perhaps in the wrong forum, my apologies. Thank you.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TxHarleyGuy

• a m a r g o

• tinta

• Lam1

I'm sorry that you are having trouble with the case.

For what is worth, I have bought several of those and none of them had any smell. So, it doesn't seem a common occurrence. Perhaps it's the case of asking for a replacement, which I think is well worth the trouble: in my opinion these are some of the best cases available.

Good luck.

I agree. I purchased the case based upon the positive feedback I had read here on the forums and elsewhere. So I was expecting far more than that which I received. I'm hoping that the smell will go away after a day or three in the garage. But if not, I may well return it and try my chances on another one perhaps from a different vendor. Appreciate the input.

I have that very one. No smell at all. Holds three MBs with no problem. I only have three MBs so this was an easy decision.

Afternoon everyone,

I wanted to solicit the opinions of those far more in the know than I regarding a recent purchase I made and received the other day. It was a Pelikan Fine Leather Triple Pen Pouch. The item looks nice and all. But, my goodness, does it have a plastic/vinyl/chemical type of smell to it big time. I mean it's overbearing. It looks and feels like leather. But at the same time, who knows? Have anyone ever encountered this? I'm seriously debating on whether or not to even keep it. The smell is just that off putting.

Here's a link to the case I purchased

https://www.amazon.com/Pelikan-Leath.../dp/B003CJT9Y4

Any help would be appreciated. Right now, it has made its way to the garage to hopefully air out.

Lastly, if this is perhaps in the wrong forum, my apologies. Thank you.

Well, I suppose it's the new or current Pelikan cases. I bought the two pen leather case a few years ago and it's lovely, quite fine texture and none smell whatsoever, came with a blue card box. But I received a one pen leather case as a gift with the purchase of a M405 last year and it is made of a more 'rough' texture leather and it smells miles away from the chemicals they tanned the leather with, it came with a 'taupe-gold' card box, which are their current packaging image.

I use to let it in the sun for a few hours every now and then and it helped, but still smells awful!

I guess they sourced another purveyor for their leather cases and made a mess out of it...

I'll try to use some leather treatment or something to try to 'clean' the leather but I doubt it's going to make any difference if that is the smell of the chemicals that were used to tanned the leather.

It's a nice and sturdy case though, but I fear it could damage somehow my pens.

Edited by coppilcus

Just throwing this out there. Just as there are knock offs on pens, could this be a 'case' of a counterfeit case?

Just throwing this out there. Just as there are knock offs on pens, could this be a 'case' of a counterfeit case?

Don't think so. The gift case was delivered by an authorized dealer.

Don't think so. The gift case was delivered by an authorized dealer.

My apologies. I was referring to the one I received.

My apologies. I was referring to the one I received.

Non taken!

I was trying to make the point that I do not think yours is a knockoff since mine also smells terrible and it's from an authorized dealer.

Hopefully someone else can confirm these issues and then we could be sure that Pelikan change their purveyors for their leather cases and did not chose well.

Update: Put the case out in the garage to hopefully let it air out a bit. The smell/stench is so strong that it is very distinct when walking into a four car garage. Maybe the confined area of the garage isn't the best bet? Nevertheless, the smell is definitely present even in a large garage area. Geez.

The last one that I bought, a green/black one which I think is the newest version (although I'm not sure), was less than a month ago and it had no smell at all (I bought it from Junipers' through Amazon). So, I don't think that all the newer ones are like this. Maybe you guys had the bad luck of getting a bad batch.

Over the last year I bought 6 or 7 of these, of varied sizes, and none had any smell. It is very strange what is happening. I would just send it back and try another seller.

I hope you get this sorted out.

I haven't bought one recently but have one in each of the 3 main sizes and never encountered any with an odor. Hope you're able to get it sorted out because they are great cases.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

An odor from one of these cases is definitely not normal. Amazon makes it really easy to return things, and I would do so immediately. Consider ordering a replacement from another vendor. These are very fine cases--I use my 3-pen one every day.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

Update Day Two: Walked into the garage this morning and the odor stemming from the case was the first thing I noticed. When placing my nose to the product, (while I may be wrong) I am convinced that this thing isn't made of leather as it is advertised. Seems like one of those faux leather deals. But again, can't say that with certainty. I've since taken to placing it in a freezer bag with an accompanying fabric softener sheet, and tossing it in the freezer I have in the garage. Will see what comes of this method. If it turns out that it still smells of chemical, I'll likely either return it, toss it, or be happy to give it to anyone who may want it (though I couldn't see anyone wanting this thing at this point).

Edited by TxHarleyGuy

TxHarleyGuy

Firstly, I would do as jmccarty3 suggested above. If that isn't an option, then I would bury the case in a bag with lots of lose silica or if unavailable, as many silica packets as you can get and let them draw the smell out. I have had to do this with smelly leather in the past. In extremely humid places leather can pick up a mildewed scent, which can occur in some warehouses.

Fair winds and following seas.

I have one of each size plus a couple duplicates. Never any smell. Maybe Pelikan has changed sources. If it bothers you trust your gut, send it back.

There are some threads on here discussing the fumes from glues in pen cases having an effect on certain pen plastics/resins. Also tanning processes in leather cases.

I just bought a huge 150 pen case. Opened the top the other day and the chemical smell really hit me. None of the other drawers have any odor to them.

The pens in that tray are Laban Mentos and Gate City Belmonts. Pretty sure it's the resin of the pens giving off the odor, but I'm moving them.

My point is if a pen resin is giving off residual spirits, and you put in a case that is producing residual chemical odor, might there not be a chemical clash? Some threads talk of clouded up demonstrators and changes in shape of barrels with certain resins.

Best to follow your gut on this one.

I always try to buy from Junipers as well.

You've just bought it new?

I second what everyone else is saying: send it back.

Yes, this was a brand new item. I have since ordered three cases (three, two, and single) from Franklin-Christoph which I am expecting to receive tomorrow. Am excited.

Just went to my garage to check in on the case that I placed in a ziploc baggie with a fabric softener sheet and into the freezer. It's been in there a bit. Opened up the bag and the smell is still as strong as ever. Only difference being that now the case is cold from its stay in the freezer. This will likely find its way to the garbage bin. Not worth the hassle of dealing with it.

TxHarleyGuy, you are never going to get rid of any odor by putting the poor thing <in the freezer>! That action will only slow down any molecular activity -- just the opposite of what you are trying to accomplish, I should say. Do as someone else suggested and leave the case out in the sun! These are beautifully-made pen cases -- the only MontBlanc one I own has stitching that failed! I think you should persevere -- or chase up the people who sold it to you...

All of my eight pens are in individual Pelikan leather pouches. Keeping pens in pouches has been a habit of mine since my school years in the early 50s.

Keep things nice & tidy. The pens are protected from most if life's mishaps.

As far as the nasty smell you describe that your Pelikan three-pen leather case has, if you leave that case out to air, the smell will soon dissipate into the air.

There is indeed an odour of a tanning chemical (perhaps chrome) coming from these cases when you receive them, but this distinctive smell will fade much faster than you think.

When I first unwrapped the cellophane, in every case that nasty odour was there, but in three weeks tops, the smell was completely gone. Give it some time.

After reading your initial post, I took a good long sniff inside my stash of Pelikan pen cases (all stored inside a Rubbermade bubble box). Now, you'd think that any strange odour would be trapped inside this impermeable plastic container, but all I could detect was the faint smell of leather. That initial objectionable odour was no longer present.

(My wife thinks that in another life I may have been a dog. :blush: My nose is getting keener as I age, which is rather remarkable.)

These are high quality German-made cases. That's why I have eight of them & may get another if I purchase another pen.

BTW: With a three (or two) pen case, be sure that you have the leather divider flaps folded out, so that your pens don't knock against or scratch each other.

Edited by tinta

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

*Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14k. (factory) "H-B"

*Kaweco SPECIAL FP: 14k. "B",-0.6 mm BLS & 14k."M" 0.4 mm. BLS (PB)

*Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14k. "M" -0.7 mm.BLS, (PB)