The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Wahl-Eversharp Skyline Modern Stripe

wahl-eversharp skyline modern stripe wahl eversharp

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mauckcg

mauckcg

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 August 2016 - 16:10

Midnight shifts are dangerous times when the work is done and the internet beckons.  Slumming around Ebay at around 3am a week ago i blearily stumbled my way into the vintage fountain pens.  Unsurprisingly there were some very nicely cleaned up and repaired Skylines waiting for a new home.  Sadly the one i set my sites on sold with a stratospheric price.  And then i found this beauty.

28692973340_1713551620_c.jpg

28362304973_58da03cb8b_c.jpg

Snagged it for a song compared to the other Silver/Grey modern stripe i had been oggling earlier in the week.  

It is absolutely gorgeous!  Not a crack, dent, ding, or major scratch on it.  As you can see, a modern strip Skyline, normal 5 1/4" length with a maniforld(non-flex) nib.

In the hand, it is very light light pen.  I do not have a scale to weigh it, but by hand, the Skyline weighs less than my Lamy Safari.  The nib is buttery smooth with a hint of feed back.  Right now it is writing with a fairly wet medium line.  For the moment, Noodler's Squeteague is the ink of choice to help get the last residue of whatever ungodly blue was in it when it arrived.  I cleaned it well(or so i thought) when i woke up this morning.  But the Habanero i loaded into the pen started out as brownish and eventually turned to a brackish green blue.  Much more cleaning later and the Squeteague is holding steady color-wise.

28946606766_5a5b669e56_c.jpg

On the left is a modern Skyline, middle a normal sized flex and then the newbie.

28946598766_480f8bcd0b_c.jpg

Flex on the right, manifold left, modern middle.  I wasn't expecting the Manifold nib to have quite that much of a different shape compared to the flex until i had them side by side.  The manifold is narrower, and has a much more pronounced curve to the nib where the Flex is wider with a more gentle curve to the nib.

28692965820_9974ccb529_c.jpg

28692958360_0a77da9df4_c.jpg

Lastly some size references between themselves and some common pens.

There really isn't too much I can add about the Wahl Eversharp Skylines that hasn't already been written.  They are very good looking pens, they write extremely well, and there are plenty of them.

I love it, and in a week or two i should have a semi flex Skyline in my hands to compare to the flex and manifold Skylines!

Sponsored Content

#2 RobertJWarren

RobertJWarren

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 August 2016 - 16:35

Very nice thanks for posting the pictures

It's a small world......but I'd hate to paint it. -Stephen Wright

#3 Barkingpig

Barkingpig

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,828 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 August 2016 - 18:02

All your Skylines are beautiful & I appreciate your included photos of the nibs.  I recently bought my first Skyline, chosen for it's brown body with striped cap, & seller's description of "good flex,"  only to find NO flex.  I still love the looks of the pen & perhaps someday may find one that does offer a flexible nib.  BUT today I enjoyed seeing your beautiful examples & thank you.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: wahl-eversharp, skyline, modern stripe, wahl, eversharp

Sponsored Content

|