Perfect Desk Pen- Waterman Pro Graduate- A Pen That I Will Gladly Lend To Anyone

dadbar

Behold my Waterman Pro Graduate- a paradox of pen.

From a distance it looks like a cheap plastic pen but once you pick it up, you realize that it is actually lacquered brass. I keep it on my desk at work as it is the perfect pen for editing......the fine tip from its fake gold nib is so scratchy that I really can't write more than a few words at a time before putting it down.

I keep hoping that someone will come and borrow it. The looks, though, are starting to grow on me.

Next to it sits a Parker Vector Flighter which is a cheap black plastic pen wearing a silver brushed metal Halloween costume. The fine nib on this pen, by contrast, is amazingly smooth. I could write with this thing all day.

Are all of these Waterman pens scratchy or do I just have a weird one?

post-126538-0-20066800-1471124922_thumb.jpg

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Chris

• carlos.q

• ac12

• shawndp

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I do not have the specific model of Waterman you do, but my experience with them has been generally positive... Waterman was "my brand" in the 90's / early-mid 2000's and the Phileas and Carene were my favourites. None of the pens I have would be considered scratchy - all were / are good for writing a few pages easily. Maybe have a close look at your nib - something must be amiss... All the best!

If it is scratchy, does it need adjusting? I believe tine misalignment is a common cause yet can be fixed by someone themselves with a bit of care.

Once the possibility of user error is discarded, scratchy nibs are most usually due to misaligned tines. Fortunately this is something easy to fix but you will need a 10X-12X loupe to do it properly.

As mentioned, my guess is a miss-aligned nib.

But you need a 10x loupe, or you are working blind.

Is is scratchy in one direction L->R or R->L ? That is a very clear indication of miss-aligned tips.

How is the ink flow?

If the pen writes DRY, that can make the pen feel scratchy. Less ink = more friction = scratchy feel.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

• 1 year later...

I have been using a Waterman Pro Graudate(Daytona) lately, and I was trying to figure out why it was so scratchy as well. I finally could see the tine misalignment under a stero microscope at work. I adjustest as best I could. It is also a dry writing pen and gave me a hard start every time I wrote a new sentence. I flossed it with some copy paper. It seems much better now. I don't have to press so hard to overcome the hard start, and the nib does feel a bit smoother. Seems to have the same level of scratchiness swiping left or right. But the slight misalignment I still have is still obvious when I swipe left and right with the nib upside down. One direction is definitely rougher than the other. I will try to align it better tomorrow. Wish I could take a picture, but that microscope isn't attached to a camera. Other than that it's a decent pen. I still enjoy writing with it and I do feel like I improved things with the small adjustments I did do.

I have one of the chrome Graduates in a medium and it is very smooth. Your nib needs adjustment.