Ink In Stock Cross Cartridges?

suharsh

A colleague gifted me a Cross FP (believe it was the Stratford model) - it is my first Cross FP. This morning I decided to start using it (after having it for several months). Tried fitting a international converter but wouldn't fit and then found that they have their own converters. So decided to use the Stock cartridge that was given with the FP. The color is black.

I wrote a few samples with this combo - absolutely loved the pen and the hold - I have thin fingers and this FP has a thin neck!

Usually I never use the stock cartridges, I fill up with inks that I am familiar with ... but i liked this black so much that I want to find out if anyone knows which Ink is used in their Stock Cartridges? I have read that their inks are made by Pelikan.

Thanks in advance.

Suharsh

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• suharsh

• temeculaED

• Old_Inkyhand

• NosmoKing

It really does not matter who makes the ink since you can get a cartridge refill system in ebay and refill the stock cartridges with whatever brand you like . maybe something like a permanent ink or a wild purple color, have fun with it

They have their own ink (Pelikan probably makes it, but it is their own brand). It comes in 62,5 ml bottles (you can refill a cartridge with a syringe) and also in cartridges. A package of six cartridges would cost you around 3,30$, a bottle of old type black ink - around 6,50$, a bottle of new black ink - around 14,40$, at least these are their prices in my country.

The old type black was supposed to be suitable for documents, whatever that actually means in this case.

Please note that there are standard and slim versions of their cartridges. The slim version is a special version for their very slim pens, Cross Classic Century.

I hope it's correct.

Thanks to you all. I liked the ink that was in the cartridge ... so as suggested, will buy the Cross brand (even if it is made by Pelikan) and hopefully it is the same that was in the cartridge. I do have small syringe bottles that i can refill the cartridge (or even buy a converter).

https://www.amazon.com/Cross-Fountain-Bottled-Single-8905S/dp/B000EWS09C/ref=sr_1_26?ie=UTF8&qid=1471118387&sr=8-26&keywords=cross+fountain+pen+ink+cartridges

A similar question as mine has two answers as 'Yes' meaning ink bottle and cartridge ink is same. However one of the review has different opinion ... I guess I will have to try it out. If I do buy and try it, I will post back in this thread.

Actually, AFAIK the bottled ink is (or at least used to be) Pelikan, but the ink in the cartridges was made by another company.

I would say you have 3 options:

- Buy a Cross converter (about 7 Euros) and use any ink you like

- Start messing with refilling carts

- Buy brand specific cartridges.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

Thanks for the clarification. I wrote to cross (twice) ... no reply :)

I guess I will let it go ... just use the inks I have and like. But I did find one seller who is willing to sell the original cartridges (when made in Rhode Island) at a decent price ... might go that route ... I also bought some more Cross pens on clearance at a Staples store - came with set of cartridges ... will check out those.

Thanks to one and all again.

Best,

Suharsh

Actually, AFAIK the bottled ink is (or at least used to be) Pelikan, but the ink in the cartridges was made by another company.

I would say you have 3 options:

- Buy a Cross converter (about 7 Euros) and use any ink you like

- Start messing with refilling carts

- Buy brand specific cartridges.

D.ick

• 3 weeks later...

After several weeks, Cross finally replied .. the ink in bottles is same as in Cartridge. I will go by their word and planning to buy a bottle.

• 3 months later...

Thanks to you all. I liked the ink that was in the cartridge ... so as suggested, will buy the Cross brand (even if it is made by Pelikan) and hopefully it is the same that was in the cartridge. I do have small syringe bottles that i can refill the cartridge (or even buy a converter).

Suggest the converter. Tried the suggestions, use the converter for bottle ink and catridges for when away from the bottle ink.

After several weeks, Cross finally replied .. the ink in bottles is same as in Cartridge. I will go by their word and planning to buy a bottle.

They are really bad with email replies. Call them though, I've never sat on hold, or had to go through anything more than a single "press 1 or 2" once. I've called them a dozen times and every single time it was a pleasant experience, with someone I could understand, and who was genuinely helpful and appreciative that I own too many Cross pens.

Email is horrible though, I get few responses via email.