Good Blue Ink?

Needhelp

I've found one combination that I can use to sign and write on cheap copier paper. A Kaweco Sport Extra-fine nib and Private Reserve Electric DC Blue.

Such a fancy name for just a nice blue-blue....

Edited by Gawain

Thoreau "for every thousand hacking at the branches of evil, there is one chopping at the root"

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Needhelp

• Sandy1

• tinta

• TSherbs

+1 for the Pelikan 4001 Royal Blue

There are more things in heaven and earth, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

so many of you recommended the pelikan 4001 konisblao or royal blue.

but its really expensive from where i can buy its about 50$.

sorry i was a little late

Edited by Needhelp

oh, ouch

I was one of them, sorry about that

yeah, that is too much money

what are the cheaper brands that you can purchase? Maybe we can help you more once we know what your relative costs are....

Waterman serenity blue, can't be that expensive.

Also, I'm not sure I know a bad blue ink that isn't made by private reserve or Noodler's (only some of those makers blue inks tend to be more problematic, not all).

I second Sailor Jentle Blue. Great flow, quick drying, excellent ink.

Edited by Maurizio

The prizes of life are never to be had without trouble - Horace
Kind words do not cost much, yet they accomplish much - Pascal

You are never too old to set a new goal or dream a new dream - C.S. Lewis

Favorite shop:https://www.fountainpenhospital.com

We just got 4 new inks in today's mail, including Dr. Ph. Martin's Ocean Edge Blue. It's a gorgeous pigmented ink that reminds me somewhat of Baystate Blue. It shades a bit, and has a pretty red sheen. It's pretty close to "bulletproof", and dries quickly. I like it! I read a review that suggests it may stain converters, though, so I'd only use it in a pen where that isn't a problem for you.

The regular price is about $22, but we got if for $5 on sale at Amazon.

"In the end, only kindness matters."

Thank you for that. I was given some, and have been looking for more. It is on its way to me.

I find this, apart from the fact that it needs a pen that totally seals, to be one of the best blue inks. Works without feathering or bleeding on any paper, and it looks good.

It works well in Dollar pens, if you seal the cap screw-in tassie with blue-tak or plumbers tape.

Or Platinum Preppys.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

Gotta Second Waterman Serenity Blue, cheap and reliable, lovely ink.

Yup.

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

I really iike Pilot Blue, which is a lot cheaper than their iroshizuku inks. You can find reviews and samples on these pages.

I (enthusiastically) second this opinon!

Allow me to add more...

Pilot or Namiki Blue (depending on which country you live in; Pilot Blue outside U.S., Namiki Blue within U.S. via authorized resellers) is hands-down (arguably of-course) the best work-horse blue ink available. It just works - even with a broad range of nib and paper types (see Disclaimer below).

Unfortunately Pilot blue is not available in Pilot's big 300+ ml bottles, but Pilot blue-black is (and they're very close in color and performance).

Unfortunately, as of my post-date it seems you can only get the big bottles of Pilot blue-black direct from Japan (there are ways to do this though - via the Web).

The ink in the bottles of Pilot blue and Namiki blue are identical in my opinion, but the bottles are different (aesthetically I much prefer the Namiki blue bottle) and the amount of ink in each bottle (Namiki blue has less ink relatively small amount).

N.B., I own Pilot/Namiki blue & blue-black ink in all sizes of bottles, but I don't have them with my at my post-time, so I can't be specific about volumes.

Both Pilot blue and Namiki blue (from the smell) include what is (very likely) a small amount of the chemical Phenol (Carbolic Acid) which acts as a biostatic agent to preserve your ink from fungal/bacterial infection (e.g., SITB) when stored. To my nose, Pilot blue-black in the large 300+ ml bottles has less added Phenol compared with Pilot/Namiki blue in the smaller bottles. I add more Phenol to my big Pilot blue-black bottles to bring the Phenol content up to a level similar to in the smaller Pilot/Namiki blue bottles (how I do this deserves a post of its own).

As of my post time, Pilot blue-black in the large bottles is still the cheapest blue ink you can buy per milliliter cost, even if you buy a single bottle direct from Japan - including shipping (e.g., tracked EMS to the U.S.) Do the math if you don't believe me.

Disclaimer: How an ink works for you depends very much on your pen/nib/paper combination. There is no one "Best" ink - but Pilot/Namiki Blue comes pretty close [iMO].

Best Regards, David

Hi,

In Q8, please take a shufti at what is available in your local market - from the Montblanc Boutique (Royal Blue) to the one-shutter stationery shops that just might have Parker, Pelikan and Waterman inks on a dusty shelf.

Bye,

S1

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/c2d06733.jpg

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

Platinum's blue/black ink is IMHO a "real sleeper" among good blues, with the added advantage of having water resistant properties & some iron gall content.

Platinum is not like the darker standard blue/black inks (like Pelikan 4001 b/b, a personal fave) or iron gall blue/blacks that do a colour shift (like Akkerman # 10 or Registrars or old MBMB) towards the blackish blue tones.

This ink is a medium blue with a slightly darker colour than Waterman's Florida/Serenity Blue. I have yet to observe a darkening once it has dried/cured.

It's become my standard signature ink.

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

*Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14k. (factory) "H-B"

*Kaweco SPECIAL FP: 14k. "B",-0.6 mm BLS & 14k."M" 0.4 mm. BLS (PB)

*Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14k. "M" -0.7 mm.BLS, (PB)

Hi,

In Q8, please take a shufti at what is available in your local market - from the Montblanc Boutique (Royal Blue) to the one-shutter stationery shops that just might have Parker, Pelikan and Waterman inks on a dusty shelf.

Bye,

S1

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/c2d06733.jpg

3.00 :yikes: CAD? USD? AUD? NZD? or perhaps DM?

When?

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

*Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14k. (factory) "H-B"

*Kaweco SPECIAL FP: 14k. "B",-0.6 mm BLS & 14k."M" 0.4 mm. BLS (PB)

*Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14k. "M" -0.7 mm.BLS, (PB)

3.00 :yikes: CAD? USD? AUD? NZD? or perhaps DM?

When?

Hi,

The stacked 'DH' indicates the unit of currency - the Dirham. In this instance the United Arab Emirates dirham, (AED), which is pegged at 3.68 AED / USA dollar (USD).

Prowling Strolling the side streets on the look-out for small stationery shops without barcode readers has allowed me to maintain my cache of the discontinued Parker Quink BlBk c/w Solv-X, which slakes the thirst of my office daily writer.

Who knows - perhaps a trove of Parker Penman Sapphire is waiting to be found!

Bye,

S1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

i

oh, ouch

I was one of them, sorry about that

yeah, that is too much money

what are the cheaper brands that you can purchase? Maybe we can help you more once we know what your relative costs are....

have decided to stick with the parker quink blue and thenk you all for taking your time in answering all my questions.

My favorite for any kind of cheap paper is Registrar's ink. It's not terribly expensive (Chesterfield makes a really cheap version!) and even though it's iron-gall, it is well behaved and doesn't require much maintenance (at least in my pen). I haven't met a paper that it didn't like, and it's permanent. It's blue-black though (think denim) not blue-blue.