Which Nib To Try First?

teryg93

The new nibs arrived yesterday. I put one on the pen, put some ink in it and soon realized there's a leak in the bladder (is that what it's called?). I'm not sure why that didn't show up when I flushed the pen and put water in it. I fear this poor pen is jinxed. I'm looking at some other Esties on ebay. There's a really pretty blue SJ that I'd like to try, if the price doesn't go up too high.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• teryg93

• Sailor Kenshin

• gweimer1

• pajaro

The new nibs arrived yesterday. I put one on the pen, put some ink in it and soon realized there's a leak in the bladder (is that what it's called?). I'm not sure why that didn't show up when I flushed the pen and put water in it. I fear this poor pen is jinxed. I'm looking at some other Esties on ebay. There's a really pretty blue SJ that I'd like to try, if the price doesn't go up too high.

The sac....

How did you detect the leak? Are you sure the leak is in the sac, and not from a crack in the collar where the nib screws in, or some other cause? Does the lever move freely?

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

You might be able to straighten the nib using a burnishing tool. Google burnishing tool fir jewelry.

Baptiste knew how to make a short job long

For love of it. And yet not waste time either.

Robert Frost

The sac....

How did you detect the leak? Are you sure the leak is in the sac, and not from a crack in the collar where the nib screws in, or some other cause? Does the lever move freely?

There's no lever on this pen. The sac has a crack in it now, so this problem is definitely the sac. I'm wondering if I can get a new sac or new converter for the pen.

What pen is it? The M2 can get the sac replaced, if that's what you have.

It's an M2. I just PM'd you about it. I don't think this pen and I are meant to be together . . .

I have resacked an M2. The filler sheath comes off. It is held on by plastic projections into bumps on the base of the filler sheath that you squeeze. Then it's a straightforward sac replacement, a size 16 I believe. Then you replace the filler sheath, trying to get the little projections into the bumps on the filler sheath. I also shellacked it on, because I don't like to take chances.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

First of all here is a site for some/most but not all Estie nibs size & number information http://www.snyderfamily.com/current/estienibs.htm

Check it out as a quick reference any time you need it.

Second, Esties may "reproduce" when kept in captivity. Just counted mine yesterday and my number is up to 18!!

Three, as "inkstainedruth" said, look (double) close at the images in everyone's ads. Ask for more if there is any question and (imo) don't go wild price-wise unless or until you really know what you want.

Fourth, several tutorials exist on YouTube that demonstrate how straightforward replacing a sac can be. Listen to the advice here on FPN regarding the fine points of cleaning, polishing and disassembling the pens.

Fifth, as stated previously, some Osmiroid nibs, specifically the earlier screw-in nibs and Venus (usually cheaper than original Estie nibs fit the your pen. This gives you a huge range of nibs to play with, enjoy and learn with.

Sixth, Stay with the "Esterbrook" forum as you explore your interest in order to keep learning.

Finally, I think, when you are ready to explore dip pen calligraphy (also good resources here on FPN) keep in mind that there are many other sources of dip pen nibs that provide good quality writing experiences at much cheaper cost than some of the Esterbrook nibs. Using them may be an easier and less expensive way to explore your interest in calligraphy using dip pens.

Welcome to FPN, have fun and most of all ENJOY!

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

Thanks for all the info. I have forwarded the M2 to someone who might have better luck with it. I'm hoping to purchase an LJ in the not too distant future. I'm looking forward to that and to being able to play around with some different nibs.