Journal - One Type Of Book? One Fountain Pen? One Ink?

Juli407

Dear community,

I like writing my journal. Until now I use different notebooks - different sizes, different paper, etc.

Since a few weeks I'm not sure if I would like to do this in this way in the future.

I've got the imagination of a bookshelf full of journals - all the same back. How beautiful will this look!

But on the other hand... What about testing all the notebooks? And which notebook should I use? Maybe I can change every year - but use the same size.

And I like systems - like Midori, RoterFaden etc. - for EDC. But I don't like writing my journal in these thin inserts... But I love leather! And it's not really comfortable for me to write in my Midori/Fauxdori with different inserts for a longer time in bed or on the couch.

The next question: Do you use always the same fountain pen? Or maybe always the same ink?

I just wanted to ask, how do you journal?

Do you use the same size of notebooks? Or do you only use Leuchtturms/LIFE/Moleskines... maybe in different colors? Do you use only one ink color? Or one fountain pen? Or...?

Thanks a lot :)
Julia

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TSherbs

• Juli407

• inkstainedruth

• furious

Only things consistent in my journaling is that I write at all and I tend to stick to A5 size, with a few A4 for research notes. Mostly I use Leuchtturm, but I have some Tomoe River journals on standby. Any and all inks I have inked up (usually 15 colors across 30 pens or so. No... I don't have a problem...).

Took me a while to find my perfect journal but since then I use the same one every year. Excompta with a leather cover. I use whatever pen and ink is on my desk and inked up to write in it.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

I use 8 x 11 arc system and smaller sizes, A5 and A6 in Moleskine, Miliquerius, clairfontaine, leuchtterm, and others. I use rollerballs, BP, FP and pencils. I mix it up.

After much trial and error, I've settled on A5 notebooks (Leuchtturm, Nanami, Hobonichi) and whatever pen and ink combo I have available and feel like using.

Thanks for your answers!

I think A5 or B5 is the best size to use. But the pocket notebooks like FieldNotes etc. are really cute and tempting...

I use A5 journals. I like Rhodia although right now I'm using Seven Seas. Always blue ink, primarily waterman Florida (Serenity Blue) blue. Always different fountain pens. For my first few journals I used loose A5 sheets of paper then had them bound with leather! Vince

Been journaling since 2007 when I reentered the world of FPs. All over the map as far as what size and type of journal and same for pen and ink usages. The beauty of journaling is that there are no rules. You do what suits you. Lately I have settled into a Midori-styled notebook but alternate between the two sizes.

I use lined and unlined refills as the mood strikes me. I have almost 50 pens inked right now and try to write with all of them frequently. That being said, I sometimes use several different pens on the same daily entry. I also have another passport-sized leather cover that I got from Pella that I use for a travel

journal.

Pat Barnes a.k.a. billz

I use lined and unlined refills as the mood strikes me. I have almost 50 pens inked right now and try to write with all of them frequently. .....

yowsah!!

I started in this little hobby of ours with one cheap Parker cartridge pen, merely to have a "nice" pen to write in a morning pages journal. I was buying journals that were pretty, but the paper wasn't all that great for fountain pen nibs. The journals were all over the map -- spiral bound, fancy beaded covers, hardbound, you name it. And they didn't stack all that well, or box up well. I even had one that was an 8-1/2"x11" notebook, but I quickly switched to a smaller size format because of how long it took to fill 3 pages every morning. Now that I know more about pens and inks and paper, I've settled on the 300 page Miquelrius journals with the leather-look covers, which are relatively inexpensive and I don't have to buy them as often (an issue when you're writing 3 pages a day pretty much every day). The paper is fairly FP-friendly, and I appreciate the minimalist look and practicality. I ordered 6 of them, in different colors; I think I'm currently working on the third volume since the beginning of last year (it just worked out as it happened that I started the first of the 300 page journals on January 1, 2015, after finishing up a 200 page one). I use the "medium" size journals, which are 6" x 8-1/4" in size (not sure if that ends up being A5 size).

As for pens and inks, that's where I can have fun: "Hmmm, what pen should I write with this morning?" (mind you, sometimes I'm not entirely awake when I'm making that decision... :rolleyes:). So, for example, this morning it was the Vac Red Shadow Wave and Waterman Mysterious Blue; yesterday was one of the Vectors, and Akkerman #10 iron gall ink. Tomorrow? Who knows? B) (Occasionally, I run out of ink in one or more pens in a morning, so the pages sometime get a little more colorful than I had planned for; usually though, it's one ink per day for the entries.)

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I have been using the long discontinued Exacompta Sketch Books as my journals for years and am presently on my last one :(

Thanks to FPN I discovered Tomoe River paper and the Seven Seas Writer, which I just ordered yesterday. Can't wait to start it out!

I use Field Notes for daily store lists, reminders, affirmations, etc. but all the heavy, deep stuff goes into the journal.

Regarding pen choice, I use whatever is handy and I generally start out with 4-5 pens per week. Usually a Sheaffer Autograph Balance, Waterman 52 or close variant, at least one "51", and a Conway Stewart.

Edited by furious

I use the same notebook. I buy them 20-30 at a time, so I don't have to worry about running out, and I can write as much as I want to. They are CHEAP, 17 cents US, during the 'back to school sale' at Staples (one of our office supply chain stores) during the summer. OK they are not the best paper, but with M or F nibs, they work fine.

As for pens, different story. I have several pens inked at one time, and I will rotate thru different pens during the day, and even during one writing session. I start each pen off with a line; pen name, nib size, ink. That way, months or years later, I will know what I wrote an entry with, rather than wondering which pen and ink it was.

Edited by ac12

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Each journal I've used since 1996 has been different from the one before. On one occasion, I had a beautiful, leather bound, gilt edged journal given me by a stepdaughter, and I was anxious to get through the one I was using at the time so I could begin writing in it. Imagine my disappointment to find that its paper was totally incompatible with any fp/ink combination I would want to use for journaling!

Anyhow, I don't use just one particular brand or style, but I have found that my preferred size is about an A5, and I really like to have stiff covers so that I can write in any situation, including handheld. I would much rather have a nice, wide expanse of desk or table, but there are times I need to write when that's not there.

I like the paper, and some of the various bindings/covers they've offered over the years, by Eccolo, but they are rather pricey, and I'm not sure worth it when compared to some others. Clairefontaine, Rhodia, others from Europe make notebooks of various sizes and configurations that are really good.

In the end, if you're not at death's door, and have the time to experiment, do it and find your own preferences. I'm almost 67 years old now, and I'm still looking, enjoying the search.